Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:22:16 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I've actually seen these movies! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've actually seen these movies!  (Read 2572 times)
Mofo Rising
« on: April 19, 2001, 01:22:40 AM »

ENEMY AT THE GATES - If you've got a little money to spare, go check out a matinee of this movie.  It's about a WWII Russian war hero.  More specifically a successful sniper.  The beginning is like a more hopeless version of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.  The rest of the movie deals with this specific sniper being made a propaganda hero to the Russian army.  Him being so famous and uplifting, the Nazis send out their top sniper (Ed Harris) to take him out.  It goes on for too long, and the editing is kind of choppy, but the sniper scenes are actually fairly tense and involving.  There are a few odd moments where the incongruity of WWII Russians speaking perfect English, but you should be able to overlook them.  I recommend it, but only to see in the theatres.

SPACE COWBOYS - I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie.  This movie actually follows through.  Too many movies crap out at the end, but I really enjoyed this.  It of course deals with a bunch of old farts finally going into space.  The beginning plays out like a better version of ARMAGEDDON.  It's all entertaining until they actually lift off into space.  I think Clint Eastwood actually captured just how bizarre going into space actually is.  This is the boundary of human exploration, and it captures that, at least for a while.  It falls back into thriller territory, but I was totally into it.  The end is overblown, but if you're following the movie and can buy it, it delivers.  You may differ in opinion, but it was a hell of an entertaining movie.

ZOMBIE - Another pleasant surprise.  I watched this because I figured it was my duty.  It surpassed my expectations.  It wasn't anything really special, but it had that definite "horror movie" feel to it.  The gore was actually unpleasant to watch and that added to the feel of the movie.  The whole thing had that slow inexorable quality to it that is a hallmark of zombie movies.  The ending, while not unexpected, added to the horror of the movie.  Also, I was impressed with the zombie-shark scene.  It was pretty silly in the general sense, but technically, very impressive.

RETURN TO OZ - A visit to a childhood favorite.  It doesn't really hold up as much as others, but it was entertaining.  The movie stars a 9-year old Fairuza Balk as Dorothy.  (Actually her first real movie.)  There are considerably darker undertones to this movie than the original WIZARD OF OZ.  (For example, an insane asylum would never be brought up in the original.)  On the whole this movie is still fairly whimsical.  I really liked the character designs, much more toy-like than the original movie.  If you liked this movie as a kid, it's worth a revisit, but otherwise, probably not.  (Of course, the original Oz books are very, very good children's books.  You don't have to read them, but if you have kids, it's a good excuse.)
Flangepart
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2001, 12:14:53 PM »

Enemy at the gates. If you want more historical data on the story, the book, Oneshot-One kill should cover it, and add stories that can curl  your hair. btw, the Old "Shoot the sniper through his own scope" deal is real. Gunny Sgt. Carlos Hathcock, U.S.M.C. did it to a VC sniper who tried to collect the NVA bounty on Ol' White feather's head. And if you want confirmation...ask Andrew. I've yet to meet a Marine who hasen't heard of Gunny Hathcock.
badmonkey
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2001, 03:57:36 PM »

Return to Oz is a great film, it totally turns the first one on its head.
Scared the crap out of me when I was 7 anyway.
Flangepart
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2001, 11:05:19 AM »

I liked Return to Oz better then the original...weird,huh? At least it wasen't a......Musical! Ahhhhh!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I've actually seen these movies! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.