Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:28:13 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The REAL reason Pluto Nash bombed. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The REAL reason Pluto Nash bombed.  (Read 1575 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 30, 2002, 01:37:47 PM »

Hollywood insiders are 'stunned' by the devestating box office (2.2 million) of the in development from the 1980s Pluto Nash.  Just who is to blame?

The Internet...here is a brief clip of the Cinescape article....

As entertainment attorney Skip Brittenham, whose clients include both big actors and production houses, was quoted, the Internet is “exercising a growing tyranny.”

"New studies show that roughly one-third of the typical audience that sees a movie in its first weekend has logged onto the Web sites, read the gossip and perhaps even seen the trailer," he said. "Their attitudes have already been formed well before the release date."

Hey guys, we're TYRANTS!  Whoo-hoo!

You know I saw the trailer at the theaters and, quite frankly, the campaign made this movie look less funny than watching George W. Bush's colonscopy video.  As far as the gossip and rumors go, that seldom sways me.  I'll watch a movie I want irregardless of what others think of it, but some look to be the price of a rental and nothing more.

Geez, THEY make a bad movie and the reason it flops is somebody else's fault, just how distanced from reality can you get?

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 01:43:29 PM »

Geez, THEY make a bad movie and the reason it flops is somebody else's fault, just how distanced from reality can you get?

They make a bad movie and the reason it flops is because it's already been tipped that it's a bad movie.  Maybe people aren't being suckered into movies as easily anymore

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 02:22:40 PM »

"Reality....we don need no stinking reality!"
....Like politics, the movie biz is predicated on the ego. What? OUR fault? Gad, how absurd, you poor unenlightened soul...............
....That Trailer just did NOT give me confidence. My spider sense was tingling to beat the band. I rearly fails me.
...BTW..."Entertainment Attorney"....don't that sound Why does that sound, oh, just wrong? My definition of such? Harvy Birdman!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
John
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 11:24:04 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Studio & network execs are completely incapable of judging quality. To them, there's no difference in quality between Pluto Nash and Star Wars.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 04:22:39 PM »

Too bloody right mate.

Perfect example: FOX's "Futurama" was a hit in the ratings, is a critical success and frequent Emmy-nominee, has a worldwide fanbase, sells merchandise out the yin-yang...but FOX shuffled it off to a timeslot where no show can survive (where it is up against "60 Minutes," "Disney," and is constantly preempted by sports) and done everything in its power to destroy it--without cancelling it outright, in deference to the show's creator (and regular FOX savior) Matt Groening.

Why? They don't own the rights to it. Also, they don't "get it." They wanted "The Simpsons In Outer Space"--what's THIS s***?

A**holes.

Getting back to "Pluto Nash"--Eddie Murphy survived "Holy Man," he'll survive this, as long as Disney gives him another venue for multiple roles and fart jokes. But when a studio sits a movie on the bench for years, they already know it sucks wet poop and is doomed to failure. Don't blame us, studios--quit making crap.
Foywonder
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2002, 07:57:26 PM »

Well, when the release date gets pushed back about 2 years, there's plenty of reason to speculate why that is.

When the movie isn't pre-screened for actual movie critics to review it, that sends another message.

When the star of the film doesn't even bother to go out and promote the movie, that sends a very clear message.

Nice to see someone else using Joel Schumacher's b***hing about "an unpoliced internet" that supposedly killed BATMAN & ROBIN. To this day, I still makes jokes about that crack. As if Harry Knowles ruined the Batman franchise by having the nerve to report that people were actually getting up and walking out of the movie during test screenings.

Heck, from what Moriarty told me earlier this year, there were actually some execs at the studio who didn't even know they had produced a movie called PLUTO NASH!
John
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 02:40:15 AM »

>Perfect example: FOX's "Futurama" was a hit in the ratings, is a critical success
>and frequent Emmy-nominee, has a worldwide fanbase, sells merchandise out
>the yin-yang...but FOX shuffled it off to a timeslot where no show can survive
>(where it is up against "60 Minutes," "Disney," and is

Well, there's another part of the equation too; The only value a network considers a show to have is in how many viewers it can steal from other networks. If a show gets moderately good ratings, they instantly start planning what shows they can pit it against to try and win more viewers. If it fails in that time slot, then the show is considered worthless. It's like a game of battling tops, the network gets a good one so they immediately send it up against what the other networks have. If it knocks them out of the ring, great, if it gets knocked out, they chuck it and go looking for a new top. They don't care what value a show might have on its own, only what it can do to the other networks.
AndyC
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 10:22:22 AM »

Exactly. Rather than leaving a reasonably successful show in a time slot where it has no competition and attracts a decent audience, it goes up against another good show on a rival network. This is why TV fluctuates between times when we can't decide what to watch and long stretches when there is bugger all worth watching. These people don't understand that if the shows are spread out in some thoughtful way, everybody can win. These days, business is less about finding a need and filling it than it is about trying to take what the other guy has. The result: an overload of the same thing at the same time, and huge unfulfilled needs.
AndyC
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 03:43:06 PM »

As for Pluto Nash, I can't say whether it was bad or not. I didn't see it. However, the way its release was handled made it look like a piece of crap that the studio was ashamed of. Why do they still believe it is better not to have an advance screening for critics? It generates far more bad press when the critics can't see it. Bad reviews don't necessarily hurt a movie. Some people don't care what the critics say, myself included. When the studio doesn't have faith in their own product, however, that sets off alarm bells for a lot of people. If the folks responsible for Pluto Nash had just put on their best poker faces and conducted business as usual, it probably would have done better. I'm not saying it would have done well, just that it might not have bombed so badly.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The REAL reason Pluto Nash bombed. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.