Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:48:03 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors that could class up a snuff film « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Actors that could class up a snuff film  (Read 7106 times)
J.R.
« on: September 06, 2002, 11:47:09 PM »

There are some actors that can make even the lamest films watchable and interesting.

Samuel L.. Jackson- Deep Blue Sea, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Rules Of Engagement, he can save anything. The script for Shaft was a complete mess, but Sam's coolness made it a decent film.

Morgan Freeman- Even though he keeps playing the same character in the same movies, he always brings dignity and a center to any movie.

Robert De Niro- He's in about five movies a year, but his characters are always interesting.

And, of course-

Bruce Campbell- I don't think I have to say how good he is on this board.
Will
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 01:23:26 AM »

James Lorinz. I even watched Jerky Boys for him.
J.R.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 02:00:41 AM »

Denzel Washington- If Ice T and Eric Roberts starred in Training Day and it was shown on Cinemax 2 at 2:00 AM, would it be anything special? He even made Virtuosity and Ricochet watchable.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 12:18:51 PM »

Lance Henrickson - Brings dignity, style, and professionalism to a lot of  junk only made watchable by his precense

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 01:22:50 PM »

At first glance, I thought this was about stars we'd like to see bumped off for real on film. Had to wonder why there wasn't a flood of replies with the likes of Pauly Shore, Leo DiCrappio, assorted pretty boy actors and SNL types.

Now, I see you meant something else. Hmmm, I'd have to say Gene Hackman lends quality to any film he's in, good or bad. The Quick and the Dead was actually a decent movie with him in it, and his Luthor was probably the best thing about the Superman movies.

I would also name James Earl Jones, but I can't, off the top of my head, remember him in anything too cheesy. Still, if he were in a cheesy movie, his mere presence would bring it up a couple of notches.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 05:10:16 PM »

Dennis Hopper, Jeffrey Combs, and John Astin... It's not so much that they can "class up" a movie, but all three are consistantly entertaining, and their presences can bump nearly any movie up a couple of notches on the fun scale (except FearDotCom... Even Dr. West couldn't save that one).
J.R.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 05:13:51 PM »

James Earl Jones was in Exorcist 2, prancing around in an insect costume with eyes akin to Kermit The Frog's. Cheesy enough for you?
Dano
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 05:20:01 PM »

Sean Bean has a positive effect on the films he acts in.  Meryl Streep has elevated some garbage as well ("River Wild").

And let's not forget the late George C. Scott who was able to gave dignity and credibility even to "Angus"
Lee
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 11:51:50 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> Lance Henrickson - Brings dignity, style, and professionalism
> to a lot of  junk only made watchable by his precense
>
>

I'll second that Freep!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2002, 01:22:37 AM »

Ian Holm belongs in this category.  Probably my favorite actor working today, and I don't really care for actors all that much.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Neville
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2002, 11:38:30 AM »

And what about Christopher Walken? He's been in loads of bad movies, but I still have to see him delivering a bad performance.
AndyC
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2002, 11:51:23 AM »

J.R. wrote:
>
> James Earl Jones was in Exorcist 2, prancing around in an
> insect costume with eyes akin to Kermit The Frog's. Cheesy
> enough for you?

Didn't see that one, but now I want to.
AndyC
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2002, 12:05:58 PM »

Christopher Lee has given outstanding performances in a lot of cheesy films. The same can be said for Peter Cushing. I don't think the Hammer films would have been as good without serious, capable actors in the starring roles.

Christopher Plummer is another one. Anyone seen him in Star Crash? The whole movie was a joke, but his performance shone. Actually, his whole purpose was to class up the movie by his mere presence. He had a very small part, but his name was pretty prominent.

I've seen Patrick Stewart do a decent job in some straight-to-video stuff as well.

Actually, I'd say most big-name actors with a Shakespearean background can class up a film. Bill Shatner is the exception, although he always makes a movie fun to watch.
raj
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2002, 03:38:15 PM »

Throw in Sean Connery as well, though his only "b-movie" role, IIRC, was in Zardoz.
Lee
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2002, 04:02:43 PM »

What about "Outland" raj?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors that could class up a snuff film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.