Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:00:44 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Snuff Movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Snuff Movie?  (Read 4480 times)
Luke Bannon
« on: September 07, 2002, 07:48:43 AM »

Can anyone please define for me what the heck a snuff movie is? I've heard people talk about them but have no idea what they are.

THIS I COMMAND!
Luke Bannon
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 08:04:10 AM »

My mother told me, and I wish I didn't ask.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 08:41:38 AM »

A "Snuff" movie  is a movie where an actor is murdered on film as a part of the plot (saving money on special effect, doncha know.)  It comes from the movie Snuff which the makers claimed to have a person's death recorded expressly for the film.  Turns out that was a lie, as I recall.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
mark chopper
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 07:15:28 PM »

dear Luke, it's interesting you bring up this topic. a snuff film is basically a documentation of a person really being killed/tortured, whatever in front of the camera. urban legends constantly surface they exist but the for the longest time the F.B.I. hasn't been able to prove it. a lot of people believe they exist in Latin America, since the cost of living is so low there. Dennis Hopper claims he saw one when he was there filming the Last Movie. apparently they wrote a book on the subject: Gods of Death, but a friend of mine wasn't able to find it in print. some good films that deal with the subject are Videodrome, Thesis (a recent great Spanish film, i'd highly recommend this one), and 8MM, (this one got a lot of negative criticism, but i didn't think it was too bad). hope this info. is of interest. oh an Snuff basically mean to kill, "to put out, to snuff someone." hope you never have to sit through one.
Pete
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 07:32:25 PM »

Snuff is also a pretty cool English punk band.

Pete
jmc
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2002, 12:33:55 AM »

I saw GODS OF DEATH years ago, when it first came out.  I remember glancing at it...it's almost like a fictionalized account, with zero documentation or anything.
Luke Bannon
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2002, 10:09:01 AM »

Once again I asked a question without being prepared for the answer. I feel sick...
Vermin Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2002, 11:19:25 AM »

Don't worry, they don't exist. The publisher of Screw magazine put out a $1,000,000 reward to anyone who could turn in a copy of one; the offer still stands. What it comes down to is that anyone who'd be competant enough to film a murder for distribution would be competant enough to realize that'd be a really, really dumb idea.

Oh, yeah, and the term was around before the movie "Snuff"; IIRC, it was coined by an anonymous member of the Manson family in an interview, describing a movie he'd heard about (but never seen).
mark chopper
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2002, 02:08:38 PM »

yeah, i read a review of it on amazon.com, it didn't sound to hot, not based on much fact also.
jmc
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 12:35:26 AM »

KILLING FOR CULTURE is a good read about the whole "snuff movie" phenomenon, also a good overview of Mondo films.  It's one of my favorite film books.
John
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 01:38:31 AM »

There's a short video clip floating around the net that shows a girl sitting in a chair with a guy holding a gun to her head. She cries "Snuff films do not exist", then she gets her brains blown out. I assume it's a fake although it looks pretty real to me.
none
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2002, 03:50:40 AM »

Just have a look on a french site: x.imavision.fr.

It is quite interesting. I'm not sure they really know what they have found...
raj
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 10:12:30 AM »

The whole thing gets a good treatment over at Straightdope.com:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?
s=5c813b4e49479fd61ff8b358e9dcf1bf&threadid=133495

(sorry for the long URL, if you go to http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/
and click on  Comments on Cecil's Columns you'll see it.  The debunking of snuff films is done by Cecil himself)
transamguy
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 05:29:19 PM »

John in that film of the girl getting her brains blown out they used a cabbage that had been soaked in red food coloring for a week i used the same trick for a spook house
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 11:24:34 PM »

I don't know about the cabbage, but for those who are curious to see the video I mentioned, you can find it here, along with a detailed analysis of why it's fake.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Snuff Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.