Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:34:41 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Children's films adults can enjoy « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Children's films adults can enjoy  (Read 7164 times)
Dano
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2002, 12:49:23 AM »

I think Watership Down was definitely a kids' movie.   Aside from the obvious "Cartoon About Rabbits" aspect, I thought its' message and story line were very basic, the characters (especially the young and unsure of himself Fiver as the character to identify with and Kee-Har as comic relief) were clearly directed at kids.  The violence -- which actually takes up very little screen time -- is all that would make this NOT a little-little kids' movie, and frankly I think our society underestimates a kid's ability to understand and deal with it.  And YES, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable for adults as well.  Now not that authorial intent necessarily matters, but idn't Richard Adams write the book based on stories he made up for his kids on long car rides?

One movie I didn't see here that was great for kids and auls s "Bad News Bears."  One sign - to me - that it is a kid movie that is good for adults is that when I saw it as a kid I loved it, and when I saw it as an adult I loved it for a whole assortment of new reasons.  Hilarious movie.
jmc
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2002, 01:02:19 AM »

I thought SHREK was more for adults--I mean, an adult film that kids could watch.

I remember my sister being terrified of WATERSHIP DOWN.  I would say it isn't a children's film just because the book on which it was based isn't a children's book.
Squishy
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2002, 02:46:18 AM »

"Watership Down" features graphic depictions of rabbits being gassed to death, killed with a bulldozer, run over by a train, savagely biting and clawing each other (one is shown not only being permanently mutilated by fellow rabbits, but ultimately having his throat torn out), and ends with an astonishingly bloody dog attack with multiple fatalities. No way was this intended as "kiddie" fare. (I've not read nor seen "The Plague Dogs," the animated version of which is reportedly equally violent, without any of "Down"s redeeming qualities.) Sure, some kids can deal with it, but as someone who sat through multiple showings of "The Secret of NIMH"--various scenes of which completely terrified some youngsters--I can testify that some can't...and God help their parents when the movie gets 'red. '

I still remember seeing "Charlotte's Web" as a tad. Look, it's a fine ending in terms of literary value, but I WILL ALWAYS HATE IT, even decades later. This is why kids take to sugary crap like "The Care Bears;" they don't want to leave the theatre bawling their eyes out.

Thanks, Peter! I'd forgotten "Wallace and Gromit!" I actually have the set on order right now. Cracking!
Vermin Boy
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2002, 07:05:04 AM »

Not really a movie, but does anyone remember the show "Eek the Cat?" It aired Saturday mornings in the early 90s, but it had many truly clever parodies and gags. Their takeoff on A Clockwork Orange (where the miscreant is given "Nice-O-Vision") still remains as one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
raj
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2002, 08:22:41 AM »

K-Sonic wrote:
>
> Willy Wonka, The Muppet Movie
The muppets do Willy Wonka?  I don't know whether to be scared or intrigued by such a flick
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2002, 09:31:17 AM »

Not really a movie, but does anyone remember the show "Eek the Cat?"

"It never hurts to help!"

Yup, loved that cartoon

Also the Terrible Thunder Lizards it was usually paired with

"When does the hurting stop?"

"Yes, I would definately say that falls in the 'bad things' category!"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2002, 06:29:49 PM »

D'oh! Should have mentioned Wallace and Gromit! Love those flicks. Nick Park is a god!
....Saw a collection of Short films by Arrdman studios. As good a use of clay since Will Vinton.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dano
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2002, 06:52:24 PM »

jmc wrote:  I thought SHREK was more for adults--I mean, an adult film that kids could watch.

Interestingly, I polled my two nieces (under 10) and a group of their friends and it was unanymous:  The preferred Monsters Inc. by FAR and some of them didn't even like Shrek.  Maybe they went for the adult audience a little too hard?

I can't say since I didn't see it.  Monsters Inc. was an amusing flick.
J.R.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2002, 07:10:38 PM »

What happened to Savage Steve Holland? Eek! was a great show. Remember the one where he took the place of the supposedly dead Melvis?
Vermin Boy
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2002, 09:31:09 PM »

Thinking back, having Melvis eating handfuls of pills from bowls stationed at regular intervals in his mansion was kinda dark for a kids' show...

Also, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate the Squishy Bears-- something like Fuzzy, Squishy, Wuz-Wuz, (who all spoke in lovable cartoon voices) and Pierre (who had an angry French accent and couldn't tolerate the others).... And the Lord of the Flies parody with the penguins ("Why do they call you Piggie?" "Well... I rather fancy wearing this mask.")... Dammit, where's our Eek DVD?!
peter johnson
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2002, 01:23:51 AM »

Good lord, no, I never even heard of this Eek the Cat business, but the name of Savage Steve Holland immediately clicks as the writer/director of one of my most favorite modern screwball comedies:  Better Off Dead.
A high school with a snow-ski team with a snow covered mountain behind it, and a beach with a swim/surfing team in front of it.  It gets stranger from there . . .
peter j.
Squishy
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2002, 04:09:01 AM »

Savage Steve Holland's theatrical film career consists of two highly-successful comedies ("Better Off Dead" and "One Crazy Summer") and a virtually-unknown flop with the Dullest Title Ever ("How I Got Into College"). Titles were never his strong point... Since then, it's been TV work, and most of that on the Disney Channel. Hopefully, one day his lunatic genius will be "rediscovered."

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled topic.
Anonymous User
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2002, 08:21:28 AM »

If anyone here ever was into LSD, look for the children's japanimation film MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. Then either a] take some tabs and watch it, proceeding to LOSE ALL SEMBLANCE OF SANITY FOR TWO HOURS, or b] watch it and just imagine the experience on psychoactive drugs.

-DeathSwede

J.R.
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2002, 04:27:56 PM »

One of Savage Steve Holland's Disney production was Safety Patrol, a really weird children's movie with Curtis Hansen (Booger from Revenge Of The Nerds and the voice of Eek! The Cat), and it ended with a climactic chase on a giant balloon in the image of Weird Al.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2002, 05:00:49 PM »

Actually, IIRC, Eek was voiced by Bill Kopp. Curtis played the psychotic-yet-lovable caveman, Scooter (and was also Cusack's Jello-snorting buddy in Better Off Dead).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Children's films adults can enjoy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.