Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:07:04 AM
713405 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Controversial Subject...... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: A Controversial Subject......  (Read 19746 times)
Squishy
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2002, 08:50:35 PM »

"MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia ignored U.S. and European
criticism of its threat to use force against Georgia on Friday
and accused Tbilisi of portraying Russia as an external enemy
to prop up President Eduard Shevardnadze's "teetering"
administration."

Holy cow, the irony. All it requires is name changes, and it turns from the actions of an "Evil Empire" (Russia's blasting Chechens all over again) into a "Supreme Act of SuperPatriotism" which is brilliant and not stupid because Iraq's planning to nuke Houston with West Nile virus and you can't disprove that so it must be true.

If you'll excuse me, I have to shoot my neighbor. You see, he has a gun, and he's not a nice person and he might use it on me if I don't blast him first and anyone who gets in my way. Everyone says it's wrong to do it but I know my cause is just and God is on my side and the guy made fun of me and my dada so shut up shut up shut up. Or I'll blast you too! I get my way!!!

(Just kidding.)

Another "funny" news story, edited for brevity and point (probably less funny to the people involved):

"NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - Three men reportedly overheard talking about a terrorist plot were pulled over and detained for 17 hours Friday before authorities said the men were apparently kidding around and released them.

After their release, the three...denied making any comments or jokes about terrorism. One man, who has a long beard and wore a skull cap, said the woman who reported them to police may have been influenced by his appearance. The cars were stopped after the Georgia woman reported overhearing three men who appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent making ``alarming'' comments.

``I appreciate someone like her with the courage to do it,'' said neighbor Eric Finch. ``For anyone to sit around and joke over a cup of coffee about a couple of thousand people being killed - they should be prosecuted just for that.''

Bush said the information that triggered the threat came from credible witnesses. ``Making a mockery or laughing about 9-11...gives us all some concern,'' he said."

(My comments now: Giggling publcily about "hitting the trifecta;" okay. Being an American of Middle Eastern descent in Georgia; not okay. Prosecuting fellow citizens for being accused of making a tasteless joke; priceless. I wonder which law they would be jailed and/or executed under? Maybe it's a secret law.)
John
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2002, 03:44:21 AM »

>I tend to disregard what you've typed and only focus on how p**sed I am on what >you've just quoted me on.

You're missing the point. It isn't to turn anything around or use your words against you. They're to remind everyone what was said and what you're replying to. Consider this message;

"I think you're completely wrong about that!"

Which post above am I replying to? Without quotes, you can't tell.
Lee
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2002, 10:04:10 PM »

f**k YOU SQUISHY!!!!!!!! f**k YOU f**k YOU f**k YOU!!!!!  JUST BECAUSE I'M REPUBLICAN DOESN'T MAKE ME SOME EVIL SCEMER!!!! YOU PREJUDICE f**k!!!!!!!!
Squishy
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2002, 02:18:07 AM »

Aw, thanks, Lee. I needed another good laugh. I know you're just kidding. No one's that retarded in real life.

Well, except maybe for Dan Quayle. Oh, and the guys who write these letters.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2002, 02:03:43 PM »

Chill, Lee, chill.
....Posting in anger won't accomplish anything.  Relax. All you can do is state your case, and leave it. What others decide to do or believe you can't control.
....As i once heard it paraphrased of Ben Franklin, "Its always better to speak the truth. That way, you never have to worry about keeping your story straight".  Relax, let the anger settle, then address the issue as calmly as you can, say what you think, then let it go. I know it can be hard, but getting older has taught me, that its a good way to avoid ultcers, if not a grouchy attitude.
....Trust me, it ain't worth it.
....If we want a free scociaty, we need to accept that we'll be flamed sometimes. And, we will flame. But, like Andrew said, lets continue to try, at least try, being civil.
....As for the Democratic Underground....no differant to me then its Republican equivilant. 6 of one, half dozen the other. Same condesention, same dissing. Same tune, differant band. In the end...it don't mean nothin'.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2002, 02:12:31 PM »

Lord.  A flame war.  And I missed it.

I miss everything.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Lee
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2002, 07:09:03 PM »

Kiss my ass
Goon
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2002, 09:57:54 PM »

Alright, this is just too long and drawn out for even me to stay out of.
Bush=Smirking chimp.
Cheney=The man cranking the caliope.
Sadam=A man who if we realy wanted to get rid of him, we could do so without war.
Iraq=a convenient country we can go to war with to (try to) jump start a sagging economy.

"Man who ignore wasp have CHANCE of getting stung ONCE.  Man who smash wasp GUARENTEED to get stung once and have chance of getting stung MORE by wasps' friends.  Man who ignored wasp and got stung can still smash wasp anyway." -Confused

"You might as well be living your life based on what the Magic 8-Ball tells you. "
    I like my magic 8-Ball.  I trust it more than I would trust a (man?) who can't pronounce "subliminal".
     I believe in government cover-ups, I just don't care.  I know I probably look like I'm wearing a "kick me" sign in a locker room, but I don't care about that either.  In life, be happy and don't try to hurt folks.
-------ooo-'U'-ooo------Kilroy was here.
Squishy
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2002, 03:31:36 AM »

Lee: What's a "scemer?"

Cullen: A real flame war requires two-way combat. This is more like a kid lighting his farts to get attention, then pitching a screaming cursing fit because his a**hole got burned and he got laughed at. (In fact, I'm still laughing. I'm picturing Cartman from "South Park" running about spraying flames--"Owww, my ass!! Seriously!!"--or maybe Kenny setting himself ablaze in the SP movie.)

Some thoughts:

--If this upcoming "war" isn't about avenging Poppy, distracting the populace from domestic issues, and oil--and if it's actually about stopping terrorism and doing the Right Thing--then how come we never blasted the crap out of Libya, whose government-sponsored terrorist acts against the western world are so very well documented? And why are we snuggling up to Pakistan (ditto)? And negotiating with North Korea (likewise)?

--If Bush and his people are so "brilliant," and this doesn't involve religion or race, then why did Bush on one occasion refer to The War On Terror as a "crusade"--the worst possible word to use around Muslims--and on another occasion refer to Islam as "a false religion?" Was he trying to shore up support and make allies in the Middle East? Or is he just a buffoon?

Keep the (blind) faith, kids. You'll need it. This ain't gonna be Kuwait.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2002, 04:16:55 AM »

Gee whiz, learn something new every day.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Dano
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2002, 03:23:19 PM »

... we DID blast the crap out of Libya and Libya quieted right down and has been more or less behaving itself ever since we did so.  

What domestic issues is Bush distracting us from??  I'm a regular middle class guy and I frankly haven't been hurt at all by this "horrible economy."  The only people who have been were the people who invested everything in the smoke'n'mirrors economy of the 1990s (which I suppose you're going to tell me is all W's fault somehow).

Fair point about Bush the Elder in Iraq.  Stormin Norman had nothing but 100 miles of sand between him and Baghdad.  Older Bush didn't finish it.  Younger Bush is gonna try.  Doesn't seem like "avenging" (your word) as much as finishing a job left undone (but TWO presidents).

The use of the word "crusade" was a clear gaff.  All politicians make them.  I'd rather have a guy who makes honest ones now and then than a guy who just makes up lies about his family to try to strengthen his arguments (remember Gore's little story about his mom getting screwed by the health care system that turned out to be patently false?).  

As for your continued assertions that racism governs our foreign and defense policy (an assertion you denied making in an earlier reply and then made again with this last post), anyone with access to a grade school history book will tell you that the USA deals with whoever threatens them no matter what their color.  We killed more rosy cheeked blue-eyed Germans this century than we did Koreans, Vietnamese and Iraqis put together.  And we killed more Confederates than we did Germans.  We also spent 95% of our post-WWII military budget trying to counter the not-so-brown Russians.  Get over it, man.  I'm sure it gives you great comfort to believe that people who disagree with you are all evil racists, but that doesn't mean we really are.
Squishy
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2002, 04:21:17 PM »

Domestic issues? For starters, the assorted investigations Bush and Cheney have been singing "executive privlege" about. The huge budget deficit. Campaign reform. Holding "suspects" without charges or legal representation. Spying on citizens without cause. There's more.

We popped a few missiles at Libya. (We've done the same to Iraq.) Khaddafy stills supports terrorism. He's still there. "More or less behaving himself?" More or less? Heh heh heh. Tell it to Scotland. Reminder: every time Clinton ordered a strike, the GOP whooped and shrieked that he did it solely to divert the press' attention from The Great Scandal. (Remember? SEX!!) But Bush, oh no, that's different! He HAS to do it, or else Saddam will kill us all tomorrow!!

This "horrible economy" is just getting rolling. Those deficits will have to be reversed eventually. In the meantime, Bush's stimulus package: More tax cuts! More spending! Gotta pay for my war! ...I'll let you do the Fuzzy Math.

I'm sure it gives you great comfort to believe that people who disagree with you are all accusing you of being an evil racist, but that doesn't mean we really are. I'm saying that the party of Jesse Helms, that ran the "Willie Horton" ads--and just recently, the state-campaign ads claiming programs to be "reverse repatriations"--will gladly use skin color and "different" religions as a scare tactic to gather support. Everyone but the Confederates in your list were "dirty foreigners," and we were very happy to leave Europre to Nazi Germany--until the Japanese attacked us. We blew up the Krauts because they were linked to the Nips.

WWII analogies are okay, but Vietnam ones are better.
Dano
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2002, 06:15:05 PM »

Actually, it was Al Gore trying to beat Dukakis for the Dem nomination who first raised Willie Horton, but I'm sure you don't want to hear that so you won't.  Al Gore also made sure no blacks got on his secret service detail.  Maybe he was a Republican in disguise, because no Democrat is capable of racism.

You got us pegged.  Everyone right of the extreme left is racist and out to demolish the Bill of Rights.  The German's alliance with Japan is the ONLY reason we fought them (even in World War I we were clearly anticipating their future alliance with the Emperor of the Rising Sun).  And we only went to war with Japan because they were not white (their attack on us had nothing to do with anything).  Also, Bush manufactured this war to divert attention from the economy, and the US has no right to defend itself or respond to terrorist threats.  You've solved it all, Squish.

You are blind blind blind blind blind.  I'm done responding.  Get your last word in.  I won't read it.
Lee
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2002, 09:17:23 PM »

Go DANO, GO DANO!!!  *Gives Dano the thumbs up*
Squishy
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2002, 03:21:17 AM »

Henry Ford was doing business with Adolf Hitler. They were mutual admirers. Regardless of any "anticipation," the simple fact is this: we stood by and let it happen for years, all the way up to December 7th, 1941. Before that, many Americans stood up and demanded action against the Axis; the government chose to sit on its hands. Now the government wants to declare "regime changes" at will, on the basis of conjecture with barely the pretense of proof, again heedless of the will of the people and the ultimate results in terms of casualties and international relations.

I would love to see Hussein dying slowly in the gutter. I still remember the video of Hussein bouncing the terrified son of a British diplomat on his lap--one of many "guests" he was hiding behind following the invasion of Kuwait. He is a monster. He deserves a slow, slow roast. The last thing he should taste are his own eyeballs.

...And IF Bush can provide the "smoking gun" he claims he has, and consequently if the UN and the Arab countries support us, I think we can hope for a resolution to this problem with the massive casualties we are liable to incur shooting it out in the streets of Baghdad.

I have mentioned racism--initially as an important part of the blind redneck support for Blowin' Them Towelheads Up, then as an regular aspect of GOP strategy. You're the one who keeps claiming I base all my arguments on it; like the whole "invented the Internet" gag (a lie created by Trent Lott, repeated until it was simply accepted without question) this is a popular technique the desperate use when the facts don't back them up. There's a difference between disputing my assertions and trying to get away with just ridiculing them.

I would LOVE to see a reference to Gore's alleged racism. (Pat Buchanan rantings and Rush Limbaugh "facts"--snicker--don't cut it. Give me something real.) But it remains a distraction tactic; any such behavior on Gore's part still doesn't change the reality of how the GOP works, and what's going on right now.

Bush remains a silver-spoon-sucking coke-sniffing drunk and business failure; Cheney remains a conman; Ashcroft continues to dream of subverting the Constitution at every turn. And like the Vietnam conflict, "The New War" remains a con. These men would gladly kill you to save--no, merely assist--their own hides.

If you want to pretend otherwise, I assume you've signed up for military duty like a good faithful patriot. I kind of doubt it; your last message ended with a childlike outburst one would except from Lee, after which you ran off crying. Like Bush and Cheney, you're fine with warfare as long as you believe yourself safe from harm--just like you were more than willing to ignore the massive layoffs and financial failures across the country, so long as you got yours. If that's the only alternative to being blind, thank God I'm "blind blind blind blind blind."

This country has never prospered on the basis of unquestioning submission masquerading as "patriotism." That's for complete idiots. It leads only to disaster.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Controversial Subject...... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.