Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:46 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEATH SHIP BOOK? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEATH SHIP BOOK?  (Read 4024 times)
Untouchable
« on: April 26, 2001, 08:10:51 PM »

hi`ya i dont expect any body 2 ever read this but could any one tell me if DEATH SHIP was ever written as a novel? i love the movie,i love its isolation an hidden secerets,,,its a fantasy of mine where i like to go all by myself "can U step up to the bridge please" let me know if any body knows of a book......untouchable_bg@hotmail.com
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2001, 10:56:19 PM »

I cannot find any reference to a novel version of this under the IMDB, nor in any of my reference books.  This might be one of those unrealized dreams...

Egad man, why would you want to read it?

Andrew
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 12:49:17 PM »

The ISFDB lists a novel titled Deathship (1993), by James Follett.  That could be it, but I suspect it will be hard to track down, and there's no guarantee that it's not just a coincidence of name.
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 03:55:05 PM »

It's such a generic title, a 1993 book on a 1980 movie has to be coincidence. I've seen two short stories and another cheap paperback with the same title (all spaceships.). It's only slightly less overused than "Night of the..."
Gerry
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2001, 04:51:37 PM »

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, but on the off chance, I thought I'd post it up.  I had no idea when the movie came out.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2001, 08:37:36 PM »

Andrew asks a good question, not about "Death Ship," but why would anyone want to read a "novel version" of a film. I cannot speak for Untouchable, but I have several reasons to read a "novel version" of a film. (1) If I enjoy seeing a film, sometimes I enjoy reading it, too. (2) Reading it, sometimes gives me a different perspective on it, then seeing it. (3) Reading it, sometimes fills in plot holes. For example: "Star Trek V: the Undiscovered Country" fills in some of the plot holes found in the film. And (4) sometimes the book is better then the film (IMHO). I have always thought that "Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan" would have been a better movie, if they had thrown away the screenplay used for the movie and used the "novel version" of the film as the new screenplay. Now, if some one could only tell me if there is a "novel version" of "Lair of the White Worm." Not the original novel by Bram Stoker, I have read that--much to my regret, but a "novel version" of the screenplay for the film. Enjoy
Andrew
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2001, 09:05:47 PM »

I've only ever seen (or heard of) the original Stoker story in reference to The Lair of the White Worm.

Actually my question is:  "Why would someone want to read a novel adaptation of 'Death Ship?'"  I've often found that the book is far better than the movie through my experiences, but shudder to think about seeing "Death Ship" as a book.

It would probably be 1000 pages too, knowing my luck.

Andrew
Gerry
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2001, 06:10:07 PM »

Alan Dean Foster has done some pretty good movie-to-book novelizations (actually about a million of em), including Krull, Clash of the Titans, Alien, The Black Hole, the original Star Wars (as George Lucas) and many more.  (I get to meet Alan Dean Foster in three weeks!  He's the guest of honor at CONduit in Salt Lake City this year--May 18-20.  Cool.)

I quite liked the novelization of The Black Hole.  It worked better as a novel and the end made a lot more sense too.

Another one where the novelization filled in a lot more of the story was Isaac Asimov's Fantastic Voyage.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2001, 02:42:12 PM »

I agree with all of Gerry's comments. (EOM) As for Andrew, I do not want anybody to think I misread his question, I did not. I just wanted to broaden it, so I could provide some reasons as to why Untouchable wanted to read "Death Ship." And until we hear back from him, we will never know. It may be he just liked it. As
bad as the film was (though I have never seen it, I trust Andrew's opinion) as bad as a film is, there will be someone who likes it. (EOM) As for "Lair of the White Worm," Andrew's opinion could apply to that. The film being better then the book. But, if anybody out there wants to do a novelization of the film, I know where they could sell at least one copy. And I also think there might be some demand for a soundtrack from the film. (EOM) I think novelizations were more popular then than now. Of the films listed at this site, besides "Krull," I also have the novelizations for "Flash Gordon" and "The Mummy." Enjoy
dde
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2001, 12:07:19 AM »

The man who made this movie was sick, and for someone to write a book after the movie would make this person even worse.  Why was this movie made?  I need an explanation.  Good grief.
xxxx
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2001, 12:26:21 AM »

?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEATH SHIP BOOK? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.