Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:00:04 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Them « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Them  (Read 3743 times)
BadTaste_nz
« on: April 27, 2001, 04:40:35 AM »

hiya guys,
i saw 'Them' advertised in my local TV Guide, but it said absolutely nothing about it, plus it was on at about 3am, so i couldnt watch it, can anyone tell me anything about it before i try to find it at my video store?

is it about giant bugs or something?

cheers everyone
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2001, 08:16:02 AM »

James Arness versus giant mutant ants! The ants are represented by full-scale props that are still pretty creepy-funny even if they aren't as effective today as they must have been at the time...this is the one that almost every other giant bug movie of the 50s ripped off (especially "The Black Scorpion"). Leonard Nimoy appears on screen for about a second and a quarter. Surprisingly dramatic ending.

http://www.imdb.com
Josh Leman
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 12:24:30 PM »

Yeah, it's a pretty good giant ant movie.  People try to tell me it's also some big serious relevant movie about the Cold War, but I really think it's just a well-made horror movie about giant insects.

There's also some funny dialogue about ant tracks.  What the hell kind of "tracks" do desert ants leave?  They walk on grains of sand that are bigger than their feet!
Andrew K
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 12:25:34 PM »

Them is one of the greatest science fiction fims of the fifties, and the third best of all giant-monster movies, with only King Kong and Mothra being better, IMHO.  If you're looking at something to sneer at, from the vantage point of our era of "sophisticated" movie making and "cool" special effects, you'll be gravely diapointed, because it still remains effective to this day.  It is simply superb, with a chilling documentary style, and some great shocks. Go see it ASAP!
Ken Begg
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2001, 12:29:38 PM »

One of the ten best sci-fi films of the '50s, which was of course the golden age of the genre.  It's my personal favorite monster movie ever.  A great film.

Unfortunately, it's owned by Warner Brothers, which puts out its films on DVD at a pace of about one a month.  So you'll have to stick with the video, because I'm betting it'll be at *least* five years before this comes out on disc.  Maybe ten.
Gerry
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2001, 12:53:10 PM »

Great movie.  One of the top ten 50s movies in my opinion.
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2001, 04:44:27 PM »

thanks eveyone! its been a lot of help! :)
Scott
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2001, 08:55:25 AM »

This is one of my childhood favorites and is still one of my favorite b/w films
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2001, 12:33:33 PM »

A classic, and it proves you don't need color and fancy FX to tell a good story. Notice the scene when the daughter has to go into the nest to check on the poison gas's effect? She overcomes the men's protective instincts with logic. Dad is too old and out of shape to provide the brains no this little scouting party, and so, they take her along. They do the heavy lifting...thats what we're for, right girls?...and she realises the danger is not over. I like that . My kind of gal. If they ever redo this flick, i don't think it'll be as good.        Oh,well....thats show biz....
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2001, 08:26:11 PM »

I agree with everybody else on the greatness of this film. Now for a little bit of trivia about an actor in the film. Walt Disney was thinking of casting James Arness, who appears in the film, as the title character in a television series Disney was going to do about Davy Crockett. Thus, he sat down to watch this film, only to notice another actor named Fess Parker, who was also in the film. And the rest, shall we say, is television history. Enjoy
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Them « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.