Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:26:23 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Can't Say That! Stop It! Stop It! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: You Can't Say That! Stop It! Stop It!  (Read 19234 times)
Squishy
« on: September 25, 2002, 05:08:03 PM »

From the IMDB:

(quote)

Black Leaders Blast 'Barbershop' Dialogue

"Some black leaders have stepped up their criticism of the hit film "Barbershop" for a scene in which one of the characters makes disparaging remarks about such African-American heroes as Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Jesse Jackson, with the Rev. Al Sharpton now threatening to mount a boycott against the film if MGM does not respond to the complaints by Friday. In an interview with today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times, MGM COO Chris McGurk vowed that no apology would be issued.

"This movie is about freedom of speech in the barbershop whether it's right or wrong or indifferent," McGurk said. "It's one fictional character in the movie who is saying that and the 20 other people in the barbershop disagree and shout him down."

Jackson, who reportedly has not seen the film but has seen a version of the script, appeared unappeased. "You would not make Golda Meir the butt of a joke -- it's sacred territory. ... While we support these actors, we still must have some line of dignity. That is nonnegotiable."

(end quote)

I'm spotting two complete idiots in this article, and (for some reason) they're both called "Reverend"--in spite of the fact that they want to idolize mortals. "Sacred territory?!?" Grow up, fool--you wouldn't know "dignity" if it b***h-slapped you.

Did I wake up in the wrong country this morning?

Side note: "MGM COO McGurk???" Okay, someone made that up, right? Thank God it wasn't MGM COO Cool McCool.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 05:38:39 PM »

There's is not much I can say about the idiocy of the so-called 'racist' commentary.  Doing so would only provoke a flame war.  Suffice with the image of me lowering my head and sighing tiredly as I pinch the bridge of my nose.  Slow shake of the head optional.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 05:45:13 PM »

"While we support these actors, we still must have some line of dignity."

Well, you can kiss that good-bye when you start boycotting a FICTIONAL character who is freaking SHOUTED DOWN in the course of the movie.

What I don't understand is this.  When I, as a member of a separate group, tell a certain group (and it doesn't matter the group) they can't do something because it offends me, I'm wrong for doing so.  But if a member of the same group does the same thing, this is a fine thing?  How is this right?  How is this good?

This is me, but I do not think what Sharpton and Jackson are doing in the name of Martin Luther King is right, nor is what he gave his life for.  The man died for equality for all, and not to put another group up hire than the rest, in any way, shape, or form.  What the Reverends are doing is an insult to King and a disservice to his memory FAR GREATER that one fictional character.

Of course, the cynic in me says this has nothing to do with King or Parks, and everything to do with getting ones name in the paper and regaining (or increasing) whatever clout there is to gain from the situation.  Both men show them to be shallow minded schemers of the first order, and blotch the very people and names they seek to protect and better.

The whole thing disgusts me to near incoherence.

But, so long as Barbershop is number one (and stays there for weeks on end), I'll be fine.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cullen, out of his freaking mind once again

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 05:50:35 PM »

Squishy:  Woke up in the wrong country??  This nonsense has been going on here for over ten years.

What I don't get is their current effort to get them to take the "offensive material" out of the movie and eventual video releases.  It's been the number one movie for two weeks and they've created a huge buzz about it in which they have repeated said material.  Have they never heard the old saying: "You can't put the s**t back in the dog?"

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 05:56:05 PM »

Chadzilla wrote:
>
> There's is not much I can say about the idiocy of the
> so-called 'racist' commentary.  Doing so would only provoke a
> flame war.  Suffice with the image of me lowering my head and
> sighing tiredly as I pinch the bridge of my nose.  Slow shake
> of the head optional.

Of course.  Making highly indignant posts might cause such problems.  What the hell was I thinking?

Tell you want, I'm going to go off and write, a hundred times "I will not start Flame Wars."  And maybe, just maybe, I'll think before I post.

Before I start, I'm just going to say that any force threating an artist's Freedom of Speech tends to set me off a touch.  More so as I grow old.  Any offense give was unintended.  The whole situation irritates me to no end and I needed to vent.  Normally I do not post my venting; this time I did.

I am not going to edit what I said, however.

Now where was I?  Oh yes.

I will not start Flame Wars.  I will not start Flame Wars.  I will not start Flame Wars.  I will not start Flame Wars...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cullen, who will not use cut -and-paste to ease his punishment, who will not use cut -and-paste to ease his punishment, who will not use cut -and-paste to ease his punishment...

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Pete B6K
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 05:59:46 PM »

What would the good Reverends say if they saw Higher Learning or American History X?? There's extremely racist people in those films, why not ban them? Duh.

Pete
Future Blob
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2002, 06:33:32 PM »

I agree, while I feel that Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks are worthy of some respect, at they same time they were/are (is Ms. Parks deceased?) just people. Remarkable people, but people none the less. We as Americans have the right to say whatever we want about whoever we want, for good or ill. It's a right many others don't have, and a huge responsibility. No one has a right to take that away, and everyone has a duty to use that freedom carefully and wisely.

Of course, like the man says, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2002, 07:12:48 PM »

...this is about a movie (and, if Martin Lawrence's track record tells us anything, probably a Bad Movie).  I say this topic is fair game.

Dano
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 09:08:55 PM »

On a MUCH happier note:

(quote)

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - The arrests of Las Vegas residents Zachary Bubeck, 24, and Ryan Edward McPherson, 19, followed a three-month probe by the La Mesa Police Department into the "Bumfights" tapes, Lt. Raul Garcia said. La Mesa is a suburb of San Diego. Bubeck surrendered on Monday and detectives arrested
McPherson in La Mesa two weeks ago, Garcia said Tuesday. Police said they were still looking for two other Las Vegas residents, as well as others who may have been involved in the production of "Bumfights."

Producers claim to have sold more than 300,000 copies of "Bumfights" over the Internet. Touted by its producers as "the fastest-selling independent video featuring drunks and crackheads" -- the videos show bedraggled men engaging in fistfights and acts of self-abuse, such as running headlong into steel doors and leaping off bridges.

Police say the "Bumfights" producers persuaded street people to fight for the camera in exchange for cash payments, food, liquor and hotel rooms but warned the participants not to tell authorities about the remuneration. One person broke his leg during a taping session in La Mesa, and producers threatened another witness in the case, police said.

Bubeck and McPherson were charged with conspiracy, solicitation of a felony crime and illegally paying people to fight. They are due in court on Oct. 10 for a preliminary hearing.

(end quote)

In the meantime, perhaps they can have their own prison rapes videotaped and marketed. They could call it "Bumfu..." ...Eh, never mind. Hey, where was the outrage here?
jmc
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2002, 12:18:37 AM »

I'd rather have them fighting each other than pestering me for spare change...

I imagine if the originally planned version of American History X had been released, there may well have been an outcry to ban it....
Squishy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2002, 05:34:25 PM »

Further developments: while Jesse and Sharpton continue to bark and fart (Remember the Michael Jackson/Sony hoo-hah a few weeks back? Some people never learn), others show a bit of genuine dignity and common sense...

"However, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume told today's (Thursday) Washington Post that the issue was being distorted. "I thought it was a funny film," he said. "Given the context in which the remarks were made--here is one person being shouted down by everyone else--it's clear this person...has no credibility." The Post said that some African-American filmmakers have privately expressed concern that the controversy will make it harder for them in the future to get studio backing for their projects. MGM declined to comment on Jackson's demand that the scene be removed from the home-video release."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2002, 07:10:17 PM »

Of course if a character uttered a "wrong idea" and DIDN'T get shouted down in the movie, Kweisi would be all over the censorship bandwagon.

America:  You can say whatever you like... as long as the "context" is okay.

Dano
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2002, 11:00:58 PM »

Dano wrote:
>
> Of course if a character uttered a "wrong idea" and DIDN'T
> get shouted down in the movie, Kweisi would be all over the
> censorship bandwagon.
>
> America:  You can say whatever you like... as long as the
> "context" is okay.
>
>

No crap!

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Squishy
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2002, 11:12:49 PM »

I think the regular references to the character being "shouted down" are made in order to empathsize that the one character's words are not necessarily the movie's message. It's clumsy, but otherwise Jesse could totally misrepresent the movie, just as some can now misrepresent Mifune as some kind of fascist.

"American History X" was mentioned earlier in this thread; had that movie just been the little SOB's hatred being spewed with no opposing viewpoint or development of his character, it would have been a very different movie. Likewise, there aren't many mainstream movies pushing the Klan as a positive force or selling NAMBLA's message, nor do videotaped wife-beatings show up on "America's Funniest Home Videos."
Babydoll
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2002, 11:42:10 PM »

Sharpton and Jackson  :   Follow the money trail.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Can't Say That! Stop It! Stop It! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.