Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:27 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Young Ones" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Young Ones"  (Read 4221 times)
Squishy
« on: September 27, 2002, 03:38:05 AM »

I'm finally finishing up the "The Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode" DVD collection, and if you like bawdy no-holds-barred Brit telly and "fourth-wall" comedy, you'll be wanting this sick puppy.

But if you remember it only from its run on MTV, prepare yourself. Some things have been restored that MTV--1980s MTV!!--decided was too raunchy and nasty. This includes relatively "innocent" stuff like a pair of teddy bears having sex, and jawdropping stuff like short bit with a bobby who might be the most virulent, foul-mouthed racist to appear in a television comedy--worse than "South Park"'s Mr. Garrison, or that goober Josh Patrick. The occasional swear word, vomit shot, crotch attack, and spot of gory violence has been "restored."

Sadly, a couple of things have been cut. One enjoyable musical segment--"Subterranean Homesick Blues"--and a quick shot of Neil the hippie singing "Hello darkness, my old friend" while sitting in a filthy bathtub with the lights off have been edited out, probably for copyright reasons. These are ultimately inconsequental cuts, and far less intrusive than the old MTV edits, but they are missed.

A three-disc set with 12 episodes and extras, including pilots for two shows the actors made afterwards...while I haven't gone through the extras, Neil's music video ("I looked to the sky where, an elephant's eye there, was looking at me, from a bubblegum tree, and all that I knew, was the hole in my shoe, which was letting in water...") isn't there (too bad). Nigel Planer ("Neil") was the cast member who really milked "The Young Ones" afterwards, with the video and a book ("Neil's Book of the Dead").

I have to assume the "flash" shots--weird unrelated visual bits that appear for a frame or two in the middle of a scene, like the end credits of a western or a leaping frog--are either deliberate, or were screw-ups that occured on the master video.

Best online "Young Ones" site I've been able to find is this one.
Neville
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 10:55:42 AM »

Loved the show. Now this series have another extra: Almost every episode featured a then-unknown british pop band to sing something. Ah... To listen to bands like "Madness" now you can appreciate it...

BTW, I f you liked "The young ones", check another of Rik Mayall's shows, "Bottom".
John
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 11:30:27 AM »

I *THINK* I saw one episode of this show once. Was there ever a scene in any of the episodes with one of the characters saying "I'm so hungry I could eat my own earwax" and then to the camera "And we all know how horrible that tastes, right kids?"?
Luke Bannon
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 11:35:01 AM »

I really liked that show. Sick, but fun is the best description I can think of it.
AndyC
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 12:24:17 PM »

Loved the show. My favourite episode has to be the one where they throw a party. There is just so much totally insane stuff happening in that one.

Vyvvian: "I've just been wrecking the bathroom!"
Other Punk: "But this is your house."
Vyvvian: "Yeah, but it's a party, isn't it."

Neil floating to the moon on some very fine grass, Santa and a 19th-century chimney sweep stuck in the chimney, aliens, party crashers, everybody's crazy punk, hippy and activist friends in one room. Great episode.
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 04:00:53 PM »

The pilot for "Bottom" is one of the set's extras. The other pilot extra is "Filthy Rich & Catflap."

John: this is the show you're thinking of with the "eat my own earwax" reference.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

Re:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 06:04:35 PM »

totally remember watching every episode in junior high and reliving them the next day with my buddies at school. we used to tape them just to stop on the subliminal frames...classic show up there with the honeymooners as far as i'm concerned. i totally want the dvds!

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BEANS?!?!?!

HI MIKE.

NOT YET BUT I SOON WILL BE.

VIDEO NASTY!!!!

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Mitch McAfee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 06:32:29 PM »

Re: Nigel Planer ("Neil") was the cast member who really milked "The Young Ones" afterwards, with the video and a book ("Neil's Book of the Dead").

You're not wrong there. Only last year on Aussie TV Neil featured in a series of commercials selling motor oil(???).  Around 1985, he toured here to promote "A Hole in my shoe". And among us 14 year old fans, the hysteria generated was bigger than both The Beatle & Elvis combined.

And just a minor correction Neville. When Madness appeared on the show, they already had a string of top 10 singles & albums in both England & Australia. So they were hardly unknown.

Actually, if memory serves me correct, The Young Ones originally was to be a series that starred Madness called "House of Fun", written by Ben Elton & Rik Mayall.
John
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 11:59:24 PM »

>John: this is the show you're thinking of with the "eat my own earwax" reference.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Squishy
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2002, 02:55:21 AM »

Mitch: Only last year?!? MOTOR OIL!?! Oi, talk about "soled out." ("Hole In My Shoe" reference.)

Ade Edmondson (the punk Vyvyan) hasn't done much of US release since then; bit roles in "The Pope Must Die!" and "Absolutely Fabulous" (which he helps sing the theme of).

Christopher Ryan (Mike The Cool Person) had a role in "Santa Claus: The Movie."

Alexi Sayle (The assorted Balowskis) was in "Gorky Park," "The Bride," "Whoops Apocolypse!," "Solarbabies," "Siesta," and "Indian Jones And The Last Crusade.'

Nigel Planer (Neil) was in "Yellowbeard" and "Brazil."

Rik Mayall (Rick) was the title character in Phoebe Cates' box-office disaster, "Drop Dead Fred." Still, he's had the most US exposure before and after: "An American Werewolf In London," "Eye of the Needle," "Shock Treatment," and "Blackadder" (Lord Flashheart!), plus a brief set of shows on Bravo ("Rik Mayall Presents").
peter johnson
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2002, 03:47:21 AM »

Rik Mayall:   Best single guest star for the entire "BLackadder" series@!!
My favorite Young Ones dinge:

All the old vegetables and dirty dishes float about in an old-fashioned ice-skating bit in the sink -

Isn't life good?
love to all
peter johnson
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2002, 03:51:20 AM »

Ooops!  Oi meant to say:  Old vegetables & whatnot all skate about to racing music & have overhead cam shots of the carrots skating with the veg. etc;.
Like a minuature bit, y'know?
love
peter j.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2002, 03:48:43 PM »

Merangue fly pie with a mo-squita side salad, twenty three years on a meat free diet
Squishy
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2002, 03:14:25 AM »

Vyvyan: "I've just been wrecking the bathroom!"
Punk: "But it's your house, Vyv."
Vyvyan: "Yeah, but it's a party, innit?"
Punk: "Brilliant!"

Rick: "If I'm a virgin, then how come I know what a girl's bottom looks like?"
Vyvyan: (pauses) "...From looking in the mirror!!"
Rick: "Damn! Damn!"

Mike: "Rick, your parents died this morning."
Rick: "What? Both my parents...are dead?"
Neil: "You think that's bad?"
Rick: "Yes, actually I do, pi**-face!! What's it to you?!?"
Mike: "Shut up! You're ruining my holiday!"
Rick: "YOUR holiday?!? Both my parents are dead! THE SELFISH BASTARDS!!! I was going to spend my holiday with them!!!"
Neville
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2002, 06:17:28 AM »

Arghhh! My apologies to all Madness fans. Just checked them on the web and looks like they had their first hit ("One step beyond") back in 1979. Thanks for the correction, Mitch.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Young Ones" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.