Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:03:11 PM
714192 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Favorite Anime « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite Anime  (Read 3702 times)
Joshua
« on: April 29, 2001, 04:18:02 AM »

The recent discussion about live action anime made me wonder what everyones favorite anime is. Mine are,

1.Porco Rosso
2.Castle of Cagliostro
3.Key The Metal Idol
4.Nausicaa
5.Whispers of the Heart
6.Cowboy Bebop
7.Yawara
8.My Neighbor Totoro
9.Gunbuster
10.Kare kano(I've only seen the first 4 episodes but I really    like it)
11.Mahou Tsukai Tai! Oav

Least favorite,
Fist of the North Star movie(so poor, especially when compared to the tv show)
Scott
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2001, 08:17:54 AM »

Well, my 12 year old daughter loves anime, so i get to see my share of anime. Anime isn't like the cartoons I use to watch. Some of these cartoons are very deep. Cartoon Network and Nickolodeon are her two channels. She watches:

Tenchi (her current favorite)
Gundum Wing (my favorite)
Sailor Moon (she collects the magna books for this show)
Dragonball Z
Pokemon (saturdays, its slipping in interest, probably an age thing)

She also likes:

Sponge Bob Square Pants (i even like this one)
Hey, Arnold
Rugrats

Her favorite TV shows are:

Different Strokes (her current favorite)
Brady Bunch
Lassie (she loves dogs)
Amanda Show
Bill Nye

When I was a kid I  didn't watch cartoons to much. I usually watched westerns, war movies, Abbot and Costello movies, and baseball, but when i did watch cartoons I watched:

Popeye (original one only)
Scooby Doo
Bugs Bunny & Road Runner
Josie and the p***ycats
Fat Albert
Underdog
Speed Racer
Magila Gorilla
Pink Panther

Encore Action Channel also shows alot of the Anime movies on a daily basis, but I dropped that channel a couple months ago when they wanted money for it.
The Waffle Man
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2001, 09:58:55 AM »

I can think of only one anime series I really like and have no problem with, and that is... Tekkaman! You know, the series about a boy and his big-nosed pet robot, Unicorn, (or maybe unicorn was the robot in Technoman) and their journey across space to stop... uh, some aliens, I guess. I haven't seen any Tekkaman for a while.
I'm also partial to the sort-of remake series, Technoman. Was I the only person who watched that?
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2001, 11:17:55 AM »

If you haven't seen "Princess Mononoke" then you really should give it a try.  From the same group that brought us "Nausicca" and "Laputa." Fantastic story and animation.

"Bubblegum Crisis" (especially episode 5) and "Battle Angel."

The unedited version of "Class of the Bionoids" is a great film with some big differences from the series version.  Max actually kills Miria (the alien female) during their fight, then the ship they were duking it out in explodes.  I really want a good quality DVD of this to come out.

"Grave of the Fireflies" - wrenching, it will make you ache inside.

"Star Blazers" will always hold a special place in my heart too.

Andrew
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2001, 02:01:02 PM »

For what its worth, heres my 3 cents worth.....>  Patlabor (both movies)  >  Nausicaa  >  Tenchi  >  Lupin  >  Macross (Robotech and the Films)  >  Slayers( the adv translation is funny!)  >  Princess Mononoke (well duh)  >  Robot Carnival(The Duleing steam tech robos is the best gag, the guy who made the android girl is oddly compelling )  >  Appleseed(only  1 ephisode, but it lives up to the manga)  >  Ghost in the shell.  <<    I've not see a lot of anime yet, but i'll keep trying.
El Chupacabra
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2001, 01:16:14 AM »

Too many to mention, but as far as movies go,
my faves are Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies,
Battle Angel OAV and Perfect Blue (an AWESOME
anime horror flick).

I also like Galaxy Express 999.
Stefan Robak
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2001, 09:03:08 PM »

Dragonball (But all the cheeky humor was taken off TV.)
Dragonball Z (this is more of a guilty pleasure than DB.  It's not nearly as good but I love those fights)
Trigun
Initial D
Akira (the comic was better though)
Excel Saga (Extremely weird but funny.  Il Parazto Rules)
Captain Harlock (I might be 19 but I still like some of the retro stuff)
Ranma 1/2 (Sex changes made easy.  Species changes made easier)
Castle of Cogliastro (Zengata: "Look at all of this counterfeit money.  Whatever shall I do?")
Vandread (A future where men and women form separate colonies and each colony claims that the other is evil.  There's propaganda that features women as killer monsters.  Histerical)
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi Muyu
El Hazard (Tenchi Muyu meets the Wizard of Oz.  With Lesbianism.)
Slayers
Inu Yasha (recently made into an anime.  Fansubs rule!)
Komodo no Omocha (This is extremely Weird but funny.  Hayama's dad rules!)
Neon Genisis Evangelion (The movies gave me a headache though.  Avoid them.)
Mahou Tsukai Tai! Oav
Maison Ikkokou
Lum (Everyone loves someone else on this show.  Pity them all.)
Lost Universe
Pilot Candidate
Detective Conan (17 year old Detective trapped in a fourth grader's body.  Surprizingly gory murder mysteries sometimes.)
Love Hina (Extremely Weird but funny.  That jungle girl rules!)
Porco Rosso
Princess Monoke
Pokemon (STOP LAUGHING AT ME!  I like it for the same reasons as Dr. Freex.  I also hate the first movie for the same reason as Freex.)
Digimon (I have no excuse for this one.  Just a guilty pleasure.  I'd rather see a subtitled version though.)
Vision of Escaflowne
I know it's a long list but my favourites always change depending on my mood.
Josh Leman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2001, 09:52:34 PM »

Mostly I like big-screen anime, basically all of the big ones: Mononoke, Castle of Cagliostro, Akira (personally I like the film better than the comic), Ghost in the Shell (again, better than the manga... and only the subtitled version is worth watching), Grave of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue (INSANE!!!), Ninja Scroll.  Another theatrical film which hasn't been seriously distributed here yet is Spriggan, which I saw at a campus anime club--it was totally in Japanese without subtitles, but I still loved every damn minute of it.

My favorite TV series is Serial Experiments Lain.  It's awesome--like if you took a computer programming genius and put his nightmares on TV.  And it's just 13 episodes, so it won't drain your wallet too much...
Faerie Of Death
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 11:05:46 PM »

Only anime I've really seen are

Ghost in the Shell (very enjoyable)
Princess Mononoke (incredibly well done in just about every aspect)
Escaflowne (the Fox Kids version, but still damn good)
Blue Seed (meh)
Gunsmith Cats (not bad, wish I could find more episodes)
Digimon (Oddly addictive, sometimes so bad it's good)
There's also something that I suppose I can say I saw called 3x3 Eyes or soemthing similar, but I had lost my glasses, so I couldn't read the subtitles or see much ofthe picture.  Damn my pathetic grasp on Japanese. . .
The Waffle Man
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2001, 09:33:11 AM »

Hey, I thought of another one I like: Giant Robo. Princess Mononoke was a great film, but I find it hard to watch since every character radiates incredible amounts of stress and anger, and that just reminds me too much of my family.
The Waffle Man
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2001, 09:38:49 AM »

Darn it, I posted a message and then immediately thought of something else I should of put in. Anyway, I have trouble watching most anime for the same reason as Princess Mononoke, and that is that the characters all seem to have a lot of repressed feelings of anger or sadness, and it just depresses me to much. I've found this to be true even in the comedies.
Gerry
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2001, 05:55:48 PM »

I haven't seen a ton of anime, but I quite liked Ghost in the Shell and Akira.  Good stuff.
Stefan Robak
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2001, 07:19:14 PM »

I coulsd never really get into the Ghost in the Shell but the scene where the guy realizes his wife and families are just false memories is sad and powerful.
Look for the sequel real soon.  Also the guys who made Akira have made another film (Spriggan) but this is more of an action adventure than Akira was.
Andrew
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2001, 07:52:41 PM »

As**taka does not have a "bad aura," instead the youthful prince spends much time fighting the taint that has infected him.  He even seems resigned to his fate.

It's interesting, but the god animals (Morrow, the boars, etc) and Mononoke are the ones with all the hostility.  Eboshi and her people are only killing them because they have to.

I still don't like Eboshi though...

Andrew
Faerie Of Death
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2001, 10:40:22 PM »

Most people have repressed feelings of anger or sadness, I'm afraid.  Even not-anime ones.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Favorite Anime « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.