Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:01:45 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another "Lost World" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Another "Lost World"  (Read 6953 times)
Squishy
« on: October 01, 2002, 04:41:08 AM »

Bob Hoskins of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" plays Professor Challenger in this 2001 made-for-telly movie, which will air (and also be available on video) in the US shortly. Also starring Peter Falk and James Fox, "The Lost World" has already aired in England, and the US will be getting a look on A&E October 7th.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 11:17:00 AM »

Hummm....maby. Hoskins as Challenger?  Don't quite seem right to me, but, i'm used to his lower class workin' blokes, so i could be wrong.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 11:48:11 AM »

Is this the one with dinosaurs done by the same SFX company that did the "Walking with..." documentaries?
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 02:26:18 PM »

I don't know about that, but, I must say this is not the 1st film adaptation of the book.Nor the 2nd. Nor even the 3rd.
As far as I can tell the 1st film adaptation of the book was in 1925 w/ Wallace Beery as Challenger and dinosaurs by Willis O'Brien. The next adaptation was in 1960 w/ Claude Rains as Challenger. That was followed by a 92 adaptation w/ John Rhys-Davies as Challenger. And a 98 adaptation w/ Patrick Bergin as Challenger.
There is also a syndicated television series w/ Peter McCauley as Challenger.
I might also add that the book on which all these were based was by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who is perhaps best known for writing the Sherlock Holmes stories.
He not only wrote a whole series of science fiction books with Challegner as the hero, but, he also wrote a series of historical novels with Gerard, a French army officer during the Napoleonic Wars. Thus proving to some of us, that he could do more then just write detective novels. Enjoy!
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 05:25:28 PM »

I'm not sure either, but the producer said (in the article that brought this to my attention) that he was unhappy with the effects in all previous versions, especially Irwin Allen's "frills on iguanas" version of 1960. The still that accompanies the article shows Hoskins and his "toddler dinosaur" sidekick*-which the article says just wanders into Challenger's camp--so it doesn't look like this one's going to be all that devoted to the source either...

*(Oh my God! It's a dinosaur "Kenny!" You bastards!!)
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 05:41:05 PM »

What is it with The Lost World? It's been made for TV at least five or six times in the last five years. There was that terrible syndicated series, a reading of the  novel on Sci-Fi Channel with Leonard Nimoy and other Trek actors and a couple of TV movies before this one.

And Squishy, we say "TV" or "television" in this hemisphere.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2002, 05:43:52 PM »

J.R. wrote:  And Squishy, we say "TV" or "television" in this hemisphere.

*****  I'm waiting to catch him writing "colour" or "centre."

: )

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2002, 06:32:44 PM »

I did a bit more looking, and this one is the one that features SFX by British effects house Framestore Ltd. who did the "Walking with..." docus and "Dinotopia".  Not that it means this will be good, just have good dinos.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2002, 07:30:48 PM »

Or, "Mmmm...steak and kidney pie wrapped in aluminium!Pip! Pip! I must be off now on holiday! Must take the lift from me flat because I need to put some petrol in me lorry!".

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Squishy
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2002, 07:44:25 PM »

You fools are about due to have to issue another batch of phony, insincere apologies to Andrew, but keep going. Watching the two of you circling on your hands and knees as you lick each others' bums is pretty funny.

Oops, I wrote "bum." Telly, colour, centre, eat me, favour, yobbo, mangy Scots git.

There. You have "caught me." What now? Call TIPS? Burn a cross in my yard? Get over yourselves, little children.

(NOTE: I also say sushi, anime, wasabi, gaijin, and teriyaki. Better have me put in an internment camp...)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2002, 08:02:28 PM »

"Punk's stupid."
"Disco sucks."
"Punk's stupid."

I swear you guys are like those feuding brothers in Charles Kaufman's Mother's Day.  I love you all, but stop making me laugh.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2002, 09:50:43 PM »

When I talk about the various "Verus" movies (such as Eccks vs Sever, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, etc) I tend to drop the s (instead of vs, I type v) which is something I picked up from reading British books.

I also use "Bloody hell" and "Oh eck" in casual conversation.  Not here, mainly, but I do do it.

Does this me I should expect grief over that?

Or can we pretend that we're all adults here?

For some DUMB reason I thought the purpose of this board was to talk about movies most "normal" people have no use for.  You know, Bad Movies.  Not sniping at each other for various political, ideolgical, or personal reasons.

Gah!  Was I an idiot!  Not one damn thing changes, from grade school up.  Next we'll go through how Girls are better than Boys, or some such nonsense.

Geez, people.  Now you've got me lecturing.  Stop trolling.  Find something productive to do.

Oh, and Squishy, for the love of God, man!  There are just some images I DON'T need.  This isn't the first time you've done it to me, either.  If you can't stop from doing it, for goodness sake's, give me some warning!

I mean, really.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cullen, who sometimes calls himself a "Baka Boy."  He's probably going to get some grief over that, too

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Squishy
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2002, 10:01:37 PM »

I had to get "bum" in there somehow! :) Should've used "swotty bugger-all frotting bumlick." Blimey!
John
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2002, 08:09:25 PM »

>Next we'll go through how Girls are better than Boys

Not even! Girls have cooties!
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2002, 09:19:13 PM »

Damn Squish, I didn't think that'd set you off like that.  

For future reference, a ": )" in one of my posts means I'm kidding and you shouldn't take it as a scathing personal attack.  
Lighten up, Squishy-baby.  All in good fun, mate.

Oops... past my bedtime.  I have an algebra exam tomorrow.  LMAO!!  

But seriously, we're sorry for teasing you.  We'll stop.  : (

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another "Lost World" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.