Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:05:26 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another "Lost World" « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Another "Lost World"  (Read 6954 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2002, 09:25:11 PM »

Not that it means this will be good, just have good dinos.

I dunno..I seem to recall a Stegasauraus in "Walking With.." that looked like  it had gotten it's head caught in a garage door a few times

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 09:25:24 PM »

And I issued one sincere apology to Andrew for using foul language and calling you and some other guy names.  I think I've refrained from calling you any names since then...  Unless of course you take disagreeing with your George Bush war-to-distract-from-the-economy conspiracy theory to be name-calling.  If so, again I am sorry and will proceed to align all my opinions with yours in order to avoid another tantrum like the one you threw here.

: )  (remember what this means?)

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Squishy
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2002, 03:16:05 AM »

Tantrum, Dano? I remember this hysterical post of yours, to me:

"You are blind blind blind blind blind. I'm done responding. Get your last word in. I won't read it."

Here's a little bit from J.R.:

"Squishy, please stop making things political. Nobody cares what you think on the issues."

Yet now and your new li'l buddy follow me about the board, barking about your own political views, complaning about mine, and trying to get some licks in...precisely because my opinions don't align with yours. This is what will get you in trouble again, because experience tells me you're not smart enough to quit while you can. I'll just sit back and watch you do it.

The "telly" routine's been used before--initially as an attempt to suggest I was un-American. (All together now: "Gee, I have no idea what you mean by that!! Heavens!!"--almost as convincing as Josh's "evil cousin" routine.) Now it's recycled again and again because you're not bright enough to come up with fresh material--or cut your losses. Contrary to your space-eating, ego-stroking signature, you learn neither from your own, nor anyone else's, mistakes.

(I hope the two of you realize that, in fact, the Internet is not limited to the continental United States and people who use the word "telly" everyday might also come here...just in case you get a little trigger-happy with your posts.)
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2002, 04:53:09 PM »

Yet now and your new li'l buddy follow me about the board, barking about your own political views, complaning about mine, and trying to get some licks in...precisely because my opinions don't align with yours.
*****  Actually, we were poking what I thought was some harmless fun at your lingual idiosyncracies (again, the : ) is a pretty universal internet symbol for just kidding).  I was trying to diffuse the tension because you clearly know your Bad Movies, and because other threads have shown me our opinions on other issues don't diverge much at all.  (I'm sure you'll just assume that's a lie, but it wasn't.  Check the board - I've backed you up when I think you're right, and I've even pointed out holes in others' arguments against you even when I thought you were wrong).  And for you to criticize others for barking political views and getting licks in is laughable.  You're the master of that as people other than me and JR have pointed out.

(I hope the two of you realize that, in fact, the Internet is not limited to the continental United States and people who use the word "telly" everyday might also come here...just in case you get a little trigger-happy with your posts.)
*****  Yeah, you pegged me.  I'm against the British.  I want to burn crosses on their lawn.  That's preposterous.  I haven't displayed any contempt or hostility for any group of people on this board (except maybe NAMBLA and the KKK).  To try to lump me in with josh patrick because of some harmless teasing about using the word "telly" simply pushes the limits of reason and anyone who reads this thread is going to see that.  But if you were seriously offended or intimidated by my remarks, then just ask Andrew to ban me and see what he thinks.  

You can't just misrepresent everything someone else says in an effort to discredit them, call them a child, and compare them to josh patrick without expecting them to stand up for themselves.  I'm sorry.  It doesn't work that way.  

Don't dish out what you can't take.

Dano
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2002, 05:46:43 PM »

Squishy, Squishy, Squishy. What you do that is so annoying is spend your obviously very valuable time typing up lenghty posts that trail off into political issues on a bad movie message board and critique certain posts as an assault on you. Political opinions really don't belong here. Try calling in to a radio show or something where the anal-retentive are appreciated.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Squishy
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2002, 07:04:30 PM »

Dano: Being able to back my arguments up doesn't make me a "master;" it just makes me better at it than you--and God knows I don't need your "backing." When you can't win someone over with insults and "just because I think so," you take your last shot and run off. Misrepresentation is one of YOUR favorite games; don't dish out what YOU can't take. Oh: " :)"

Ooooh, sarcasm! Hey, JR; if political opinions really don't belong here, why do yours appear so often? Do you have a Special Pass?

I didn't call anyone here a racist--you two have hidden behind that misrepresentation before--although I have pointed out that the GOP is loaded with them and jingoism and racism are a part of the appeal to Don't Think Go War Now campaign. The "burn-a-cross-in-my-yard" jab was a blatantly over-the-top example to show you how moronic it is to follow me around the board whooping it up every time I write "telly." I guess I forgot the smiley face.

The way I compared you to Josh Patrick is in how your "gosh, we were just kidding" routine is as convincing as his "my cousin wrote that, not me" baloney.

I don't ask anyone to ban anyone else. That plays into idiots' "persecuted speaker of truth" complex. I just poke at them until they run off crying "blind blind blah blah blawaaaah"...again. :) And believe me, it takes very little of my precious time.
Squishy
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2002, 07:07:30 PM »

P.S.: You guys ever notice how Chadzilla and Cullen and (almost) every other regular on this board can have disagreements with me without it exploding into a flame war? I wonder why that is...
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2002, 07:26:10 PM »

I think I understand the rules.  When we get frustrated and snap at you we're crying like babies and running away.  When you get frustrated and snap at us, you're making over the top jabs to show us how silly we are.

When we argue our opinions, we're wasting space and being lapdogs.  When you argue your points you are backing up your point with all those "facts" about how Bush is conspiring to lead this country into a self serving war.

When we (or I - I won't speak for JR) try to get along with you and maybe crack a joke, I'm whooping it up and playing josh patrick's denial game.  

Got it Squishy.  Loud and clear.

Dano
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2002, 07:34:04 PM »

P.S.: You guys ever notice how Chadzilla and Cullen and (almost) every other regular on this board can have disagreements with me without it exploding into a flame war? I wonder why that is...

*****  It's because they've realized that what you think about politics doesn't matter, and they don't care what you write.  It'll be hard to let some of your political opinions pass - I confess I have a confrontational nature - but since I enjoy talking about movies more than arguing international politics with you I will do my best to ignore it.  As Congress and the public come around on the issue it'll be easier.  Maybe we'll all get lucky and Saddam will come around too... but I won't hold my breath.

So, to anyone, I had a discussion with someone on this a few weeks ago.  "Outland": a B-movie or an A-movie that was just a sleeper?

Dano
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2002, 07:47:40 PM »

Wow, it was on Sci-fi just the other day and it was LETTERBOXED!  :-)

Fantasic looking movie - they gave it the grungy Alien look (well they just hired the Alien Production Design team and said "Make our movie look JUST LIKE ALIEN").

Great Jerry Goldsmith score to boot (the score was released on a double with Capricorn One, another Hyams thriller that Goldsmith graced with his genius).  Hey, Goldsmith scored ALIEN...what a coincedence!!!

The plot, wellllll....it ain't going to win any awards, but it had some nice action and some good acting (come on, Sean Connery, Frances Sternhagen, Peter Boyle, and James B. Sikking are all very good actors and do good here) to help fill the impressive sets and effects.

It was an early sign was what Jaws and Star Wars birthed...a B-movie programmer story in an A-list movie budget.  I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2002, 07:52:39 PM »

Agreed.  The plot was pretty openly lifted from High Noon -- a basic story that, as you say, was carried along by acting and very understated atmosphere.  I'm of the A-movie sleeper opinion myself... but it was certainly an unambitious A-movie.  

I liked Peter Boyle's video golf game as conceived when video games were in their infancy.  I wish I had one of those (and the overhead room to swing a club) in my house.

Dano
Squishy
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2002, 07:54:09 PM »

"It's because they've realized that what you think about politics doesn't matter, and they don't care what you write. It'll be hard to let some of your political opinions pass - I confess I have a confrontational nature..."

Ah, I see--my opinions don't matter, but yours are of vital importance. Yes, that makes perfect nonsense. The second part of that statement is strictly your problem alone. I don't require a "pass"--anytime you want to argue, step on up.

As for "Outland"--well, you could've tried the original topic, or a new thread, since no one's going to come to a "Lost World" thread that turned into another political flameout looking for "Outland," but fine...consider this a "truce" offering.

Liz at And You Call Yourself A Scientist! has a kickass (as is usual for her) article displaying why "Outland" is a C-movie disguised as a B-movie passing for an A-movie. She not only slaps the scientific inaccuracies silly, but discusses why, even without them, the movie needed a LOT of polish. It looks nice, sounds nice, and Frances Sternhagen is great, but the rest is complete grot.
Squishy
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2002, 07:55:41 PM »

Okay, Chadzilla found it, but he came to watch the fight.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2002, 08:10:07 PM »

Ah, I see--my opinions don't matter, but yours are of vital importance.

*****  No.  Not to you they're not.  And that's fine.

I'll check out the bad review -- most people I know either really liked Outland or never heard of it (or don't remember), so the different opinion will be interesting.  However, what defines an A-, B-, or C-movie?  I know plenty of huge budget, celebrity packed, critically acclaimed "A-movies" that are rife with scientific, technical and historical flaws.  There's gotta be more than that to qualify it as a B-movie.  Where are the wildly inconsistent and cheesily "colorful" characters?  The horrendous dialogue (maybe there was some - it's been a while)?  The leading actors who look like they could be your next door neighbor and who'll you'll never see in another movie again?  

The biggest complaint I can find to level against Outland is it was a bit slow and the plot was taken directly from an old western -- not a genre I really enjoy.

Squishy wrote:  As for "Outland"--well, you could've tried the original topic, or a new thread, since no one's going to come to a "Lost World" thread that turned into another political flameout looking for "Outland,"
*****  Haven't you been watching?  That Barbershop-Al Sharpton thread is now a discussion of Spielberg's take on the Holocaust and Germany.

the Holocaust: Barbershop
Hitler: Sharpton
Cancer: Shopping

Dano
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2002, 08:10:42 PM »

Which is not only a statement of fact, but a b-movie starring the late, great Rod Steiger and a really boss electric chair!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another "Lost World" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.