Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:00:08 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  'Head' starring the Monkees « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 'Head' starring the Monkees  (Read 6046 times)
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 01, 2002, 07:46:07 PM »

What a pile of s**te that was.  Today it seemed our college teacher couldn't be bothered to come up with any kind of real lesson so we had to watch Head, and take note of any apparent 'lifestyle values' presented in the film.  The film, for those of you fortunate enough to have not seen it, is the Monkees' attempt to rebrand themselves by making a contrived surreal psychadelic movie, which consists of a string of almost unconnected, completely plotless scenes starring those ever-so-funny Monkees.  Half the class walked out and went home after about an hour, and of those who stayed, noone noticed the film end.

Pete
mark chopper
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 08:04:22 PM »

the book "Easy Riders & Raging Bulls" goes into detail as to why this film ever even got made, ha ha.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 08:22:49 PM »

(GASP!!!)

Foul demons!! Your filthy lies reveal your weak cheeseless minds.

Head is one of my all-time favorite movies. Period. I watch Head at least once a year every year and have done so since I was ten. It's freakin' brilliant. I've seen it a hundred times and I still see something new with each viewing.

And it IS a perfect time capsule.

There's no accounting for taste, which is why today's youth is generally broke.

Just for blaspheming against Head, I hope your teacher forces you to sit through 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee ("From the people who gave you 'Head."). Now THAT thing is garbage. Head isn't. Head is a way of life.

"And I'd like a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it, please."
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 09:28:31 PM »

I liked the Monkee's music, and I liked their show (once.  Long, Long ago.)  But I have no desire to see any of their movies.  I've lived my life Head less and I intend to keep it that way.

Or...something like that.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cullen, who ain't anyone's steppin' stone.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Luke Bannon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2002, 03:21:15 AM »

I liked the show, but the tiny bit I saw of the film was too weird for its own good.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 03:58:18 AM »

I admit it freely: I am a Monkees fetishist. But my fetish began with Head. I caught Head during a Cinemax 60's film festival when I was in middle school before the 80's Monkees comeback, and it just blew my mind. Sure, it confused me, but yet it commanded my attention. I taped it in 1984 and that is still the copy I watch today. I credit that film for permanently changing my movie tastes for the better.

That was the first movie I ever saw that LOOKED like how I THINK when my mind wanders. In the way Dali's paintings resemble dreams.

I have even seen Head on a big scene.

And as MOVIE FANS, gosh people, Head is so RICH with film culture. It's not just about its own decade, but it's a summary of the language of film from the six decades that preceded it.

You don't need drugs if you've got Head in your life.

Head is a sacred film to me. You can say what you want. I'll just use it as an opportunity to express more undying love. Feel free to laugh at me. I know I'm right.

"Leisure: the inevitable byproduct of our civilization. A new world whose only preoccupation will be how to amuse itself. The tragedy of your times, my young friends, is that you may get exactly what you want."

And Jeepers -- how can y'all reject a flick with both ZAPPA and TIM CARREY!!!
Squishy
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 04:10:15 AM »

"...and of those who stayed, noone noticed the film end."

Which is the real difference in "lifestyle values!" Back before video, such a movie was never meant to be actually watched--audiences were supposed to use it to get dates into a darkened theatre for some good old-fashioned snogging*. Yet, when weirdos (such as we) began paying attention, the unintentional art of the B-Movie was realized. Still like snoggin'* though, don't get me wrong.

Teacher's still a lazy arse, though. But that's common in college.

*(Oh crickey, he's usin' that foreigner slang again. Call the FBI!)
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 04:51:08 AM »

That's Head Heresy!! You are assuming, Squishy, Head is a "B" movie, and it is not. Unless "B" stands for "Beautiful" or "Brilliant." No, I've seen it as it was intended to be shown. It plays just fine in a theater. Neither snogging nor sn****ring required.

It bombed when it came out. It pretty much ruined whatever was left of The Monkees. It was designed to ruin The Monkees -- their suicide. The few theatres that ran it on opening weekend slapped a restricted rating on it, which kept out the kids. And the arthouse heads wouldn't see a film starring The Monkees. It played in most theatres for about three days then was yanked.

Head started to gain a cult following in the late seventies at art theatres and midnight showings; it also became a fave in Europe. And it's perfectly appropriate for a college classroom. Cripes, all I ever got stuck watching in college was "The Subject Was Roses." Head covers eastern philosophy (trendy in the late 60's), drug culture, homosexuality, the anti-war movement, materialism, commerical exploitation, sports gambling, blue collar living, 'rednecks,' suicide, groupies, hippies, anti-police sentiments derived from the war protests, high-end hollywood, "free love," lots of anti-establishment issues. Much much more.

It features (pardon my spelling) Victor Mature, Annette Funnicello, Sonny Liston, Ursula Andress, Jack Nickolson, Terri Garr, Toni Basil -- you get clips of Ronald Reagan (running in California), Bela Lugosi ... the list of names is endless.

"Nobody. Not nobody. Makes fun of no cripples." Or Head. Not without a rambling post from me.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 05:09:22 AM »

Whew. I couldn't go to bed thinking the world hated Head.

Luckily, I discovered that my current favorite print zine wrote a perfect web review of the film that just echoes my feelings exactly.

http://members.aol.com/shockcin/head.html

I may be insane, but I am not alone.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 07:13:43 AM »

I thought it was an alright little movie; Nice turn-your-brain-off fodder, and far better than a Monkees movie has the right to be. Plus, in addition to the list of stars already mentioned, watch for a brief glimpse of the man, the legend, the meatball... TOR JOHNSON!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Luke Bannon
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 11:26:19 AM »

Frank Zappa's in it? Sorry, I was pretty young when I saw the bit I did, plus I can't find it. Now I know he's in it, I may try to find it!
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 01:50:49 PM »

Fair do's Abby, each to their own opinion and all that jazz.  My mind is very cheeseful but Head is one cult movie I didn't enjoy.  It may have numerous subtexts, and make political statements, but I found no entertainment value in it, and am generally not gonna spend time looking for them in a film that bores me halfway to a coma.

The world dosen't hate Head, just most of it. But then the same goes for most of the films I like as well. I do have a cheeseful brain, at least more than the average bear.

"There's no accounting for taste, which is why today's youth is generally broke."

I can't argue there.

Pete the Foul Demon
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 01:56:47 PM »

Not only did it star Jack Nicholson, he also wrote and produced it.
The director was Bob Rafelson, his first theatrical film, who, he also wrote, produced, and appears in it, along with Nicholson.
Some of the other people appearing it, besides the ones named, are B-movie actors: Timothy Carey, Abraham Sofaer, Vito Scotti, Percy Helton, and Tiger Joe Marsh.
If it received a "Restricted" rating to keep out kids, someone didn't tell the movie theater, where I saw it, when it was first released.
For me, two of the funniest moments in the film, was the blowing up of the Coke machine and the bra commercial. Both bits, which I later heard, were deleted from the film, after complaints from Coca Cola and the bra company.
Enjoy!
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 03:41:24 PM »

Nah, unless those scenes were deleted in Rhino's recent DVD (which I don't own) both the Coke and the invisible man Bra commercial are still in there. The coke machine scene is a classic scene -- can't go without it. They had permission from Coke to use Coke's name -- coke just didn't know exactly what they planned to do.

"Things go better with coca-cola ... things go better with coke."

Thump.
yaddo42
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2002, 12:13:58 AM »

Just chiming in to say I love this flick for the fun psychedelic time capsule it is. I watch from time to time, and always enjoy it.

I haven't taken to it at the level dear sweet Abby has, but I will stand up and defend it to a point. Rafaelson and Nicholson trying to bury the Monkees with this film, and the boys trying to reinvent themselves with it at the same time makes for an interesting view of a pop culture artifact. The soundtrack is excellent, esecially the expanded edition with alternate versions of several songs (the live "Circle Sky" is fantastic) as well a bizarre radio ad.

Watch the flick as part of a double feature with "Wild In The Streets" for an excellent sample of Hollywood's take on psychedelia.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  'Head' starring the Monkees « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.