Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:29:42 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films with questionable messages « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Films with questionable messages  (Read 20583 times)
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 02, 2002, 04:49:31 AM »

I'm talking about movies with morals or lessons that don't really make sense or are just plain goofy-

Grease-  Women should lose their individuality and join the crowd to get a guy.

Dragonheart- A talking dragon died for our sins.

Star Trek V- God isn't out there, He's here, the human heart. This was obviously the last Trek film Gene Roddenberry had anything to do with.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 10:20:29 AM »

While we're talking Star Trek, howsabout the moral of "The Cage"?

"Pure anger and rage are the best defenses."

Nathan

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Foywonder
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 11:53:46 AM »

You haven't been hanging out over at the capalert site again, JR? :)
raj
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 01:36:06 PM »

J.R. wrote:
>
> I'm talking about movies with morals or lessons that don't
> really make sense or are just plain goofy-
>
> Grease-  Women should lose their individuality and join the
> crowd to get a guy.

Actually I thought the message of Grease was that in order for a woman to get her guy she needed to become a slut.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2002, 01:41:22 PM »

How about PRETTY WOMAN.

"Young women should become hookers, because it's a way to find their handsome, rich, prince charming."

Talk about warped!
AndyC
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 01:49:37 PM »

I thought the moral of The Cage was that real challenges and achievements were better than imaginary luxury. Of course, when it was repackaged as The Menagerie, we learn that living a lie is better than being handicapped.

Then again, in Pike's position, I'd probably opt for the lie as well.
Luke Bannon
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 03:42:07 PM »

Hmm, to quote MST3K on Jack Frost "Anyone remotely unattractive is evil!"
Squishy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 04:45:00 PM »

"Titanic"--It's better to pitch jewelry into the sea than sell it and give the money to the needy.
"Sum Of All Fears"--A sky full of radioactive fallout holds no fear for The Pure Hero.

I'm surprised no one's brought up The Old Slasher Movie Message yet: If you have sex, a messed-up dead guy will come back and kill you with a garden implement.
AndyC
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 05:06:10 PM »

Many cop movies teach us that doing things by the book will never work, and it's naive to even try. The only way to bring a criminal to justice is to break rules, disobey orders, endanger other people and do as much damage as possible. While doing this, it is also helpful to heap verbal abuse on your superiors and make wise-ass remarks to people who disagree with you. They are, after all, wrong.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 05:44:42 PM »

Squishy wrote:
>
> I'm surprised no one's brought up The Old Slasher Movie
> Message yet: If you have sex, a messed-up dead guy will come
> back and kill you with a garden implement.

Is that all sex, or just *premarital* sex?
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 07:02:08 PM »

The moral of The Beach confused the HELL out of me!  This guy comes into this little stoner paradise that this harmless group of Phish fans started on a tropical island.  He first of all blows their secret before he even gets there by telling people.  Then he gets the drug dealers on the other end of the island p**sed off at the hippie colony.  Then he totally destroys their little society by screwing around with his friend's girlfriend, flaunting and laughing at the rules.  In the end he gets the whole lot of them booted off the island and a couple of them killed...

and as he leaves he delivers some self-righteous speech and tells THEM how fu***d up THEY all are and struts off like he just put a bunch of bratty kids in their place.  It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life.  I couldn't tear myself away as much as it hurt.

Another one was "Do The Right Thing."  In the end the nice non-racist Italian pizza guy opens up his shop after closing time to serve some pizza to some of the local kids because he genuinely feels like he's a part of the neighborhood and wants to do the kids a favor.  Some fat jackass with a boom box comes in and sets it on the counter... and the pizza guy quite reasonably asks him to turn it down.  He turns it up.  The pizza guy gets mad, and the fat jackass attacks him!  The police show up and the fat jackass attacks them and gets himself shot or beat up or something.  Then the Spike Lee character, who has been employed by this nice old pizza guy, incites a riot and helps burn down the pizza parlor.  The next day, Spike shows up at the burned out pizza place and demands his back pay.  When he gets it, he struts off down the street like that Pizza guy was a fu**ing jerkoff and he had every right to destroy his life.  Can anyone make sense of that for me?

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Haze
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 07:17:31 PM »

Hmmmmm.... Let's see.

Predator: Running after things you can't see will not get you killed, instead it will insure you are the only one left.

Predator 2: Blind Revenge will see you through at the expence of Bill Paxton.

Alien: When you lead the ship you are the first to die.

Aliens: Confronting your fears only leads to disaster.

Spider-man, Batman, and Darkman: Dawning spandex, you will save the world.

Carnosaur: Enviornmentalists are out to get us.

Carnosaur 2: a mix between Aliens and Jurassic Park will only strengthen your bond with a child.

Armageddon: When the end of the world comes, you want to make sure you are no longer wanted in 20 states.

Carnosaur 3: the advance of science is not worth a few lives.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2002, 07:31:00 PM »

Haze wrote:  Carnosaur: Enviornmentalists are out to get us.

*****  Same can be said for Ghostbusters.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2002, 08:28:16 PM »

How about Big?

That chick totally does Tom Hanks. Sure, he LOOKS 30, but he's really a 12 year old. That's statutory rape where I come from.  What if Big had starred Sally Field instead of Tom Hanks? The adult who does her can''t say, well she LOOKED 30, and I was in love! Nope. That movie's all about statutory rape.

J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2002, 10:37:38 PM »

Event Horizon- The entire human race is just a plaything for unspeakable evil, and there is a Hell, but no God.

Patch Adams- Completely unprofessional and unethical medical students are the true heroes.

What Dreams May Come- Every single theology is correct in a weird afterlife mish-mash. God exists, but doesn't seem to care. Everyone in Heaven is someone you knew in life, but they're diguised as someone else for no apparent reason. There is a Hell, but no one is punished so it's really just ornamental. You can be reincarnated if you want, or stay in Heaven, but it's really, really boring.

I agree with Dano on both of his examples, but it's expected in DTRT, because Spike Lee's films never have a clear message.

p.s.- Please excuse all the religious examples, it's just that I tend to notice those more.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films with questionable messages « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.