Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:20:37 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Product Advertised « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Worst Product Advertised  (Read 19185 times)
raj
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2002, 02:16:18 PM »

My arteries are clogging just by reading that.  I finally got around to asking a couple native Southerners why folks in the South save bacon grease.  Apparently it is for flavoring for vegetables.  Now I know why there are so many heart attacks down here.
Susan
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2002, 02:25:26 PM »

I live in the south, and yep..not only do they use leftover grease in general to flavor foods but it's also cheap to keep re-using grease vs throwing it away. Tho mostly I don't see people using leftover bacon grease but just grease in general.
I don't do it myself. Someone once made me french fries with leftover grease and my fries unfortunately tasted like the last thing they cooked in it...venicin

Oh, a side note: I DO use leftover bacon grease! When I make homemade breakfast gravy I use leftover grease from the bacon I just cooked in order to give the gravy a base flavor before adding milk (mix flour and grease till..oh hell you guys don't care..lol) But then this use is common in resturaunts as well as home kitchens anyhow.

AndyC
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2002, 02:37:20 PM »

Seems to me that immersing the bacon in a fryer full of hot vegetable oil would remove more cholesterol than frying it in a pan full of its own grease.

Flavouring vegetables with bacon grease sounds interesting. I've heard that the diet in some rural parts of New Brunswick is similar. Actually, the way it was described to me, the vegetables are something to make the meat and potatoes go a little further.

I'm really one to talk. I would class corn chips as a vegetable.
AndyC
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2002, 02:41:17 PM »

Susan wrote:
>Someone once made me french fries with
> leftover grease and my fries unfortunately tasted like the
> last thing they cooked in it...venicin
>

That's one of the hazards of the brunch buffet. On a few occasions, I've gotten a plate of bacon that tasted like liver.
raj
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2002, 02:48:25 PM »

I wouldn't mind the recipie.  Growing up (in NJ & NY) we would save the bacon grease in a can, storing it in the fridge.  I always thought that that was because you didn't want to dump hot grease in the trash, or down the drain.

These days tho, I rarely eat bacon.  It turns out that pigs are about as intelligent as dogs, and I could never eat a dog.  Cows however, from first hand knowledge, are just plain dumb.
Susan
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2002, 03:16:05 PM »

it a nutshell you fry up a couple of pieces of bacon. There's usually just a bit of grease (you can make it less if it's too much). On med stir in flour (with the bottom flat end of a spoon) until it's a runny paste (don't make it too thick or it will clump the gravy) Then turn the heat up and pour in milk..stirring constantly with the flat end of the spoon. Once it begins to bubble a little turn the fire down and let it thicken. nothing to it really.

As for eating pigs because they're smart, I think we underestimate how intelligent some animals are. And if we're basing what we eat on intelligence, vs. respect for life, we're only trying to ease our conscience. Because you could feel a sense of awe for the life of any creature. I've seen documentaries on how intelligent bee's are and ants. They can do a dance and tell the rest of the guys exactly how far in distance and what direction the food is!

In the end I  think if you want to justify what you eat - it's how the animals were treated on those farms.If you believe in anything karma (you are what you eat) your consuming an animal that suffered to live in tight quarters without air or freedom to go outside crammed in a cement cage with no kind of life, it would make your food souless. At least with organic farms they had spacious happy lives and were free to run outside in the grass (as organic farms have laws and regulations they must follow). So maybe it's better to eat the bacon knowing it was a happy little piggy. ;-)

Funny how we're so sensitive to eating meat. Our ancestors did what they could to survive, we've become so unattatched to the process of even hunting and killing our own food we have no true respect for it, in fact many who do it for the first time cry or are mortified...because it's something we've never had to do before in our life. Be accountable for another life sustaining ours. Many tribes and such respected animals greatly for the sacrifice, just because one must kill for ones own survival (as is the way the world has always been with all creatures)..it's just the cycle of life. In fact most of our ancestors might be revolted by the animals farms we have and the cold and mass marketed way in which our meat is grown, killed and packaged. But i ...once again..have digressed
John
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2002, 01:14:11 AM »

>: i only eat pizza with a fork and a knife

I use a fork to chop off the tips of the slices until I pick it up without everything sliding off.

>How does everybody like their steak?

Brown on the outside with at most, a trace amount of pink in the center. On average, I don't care for meat that's still red though. My parents love rare roast beef, but to me it's like gum. No wonder they like it sliced as thinly as possible, if it's more than 1/8 inch thick, you'll spend an hour chewing it.
Pancho
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2002, 03:30:52 PM »

Well, it might not be that bad if I didn't know that the grease hadn't been changed in months........
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2002, 03:41:28 PM »

The most exotic meat I've eaten was kangaroo while in Australia last year. It tastes like regular steak only with a more natural robust flavor. I highly recommend it!
*****  I had Bison burgers this week and they were much tastier than beef.  Then someone told me they had less fat and cholesterol too.  So why don't we start breeding Bison for meat and send the cows all to India as a good will gesture?

Regarding Squishy's initial post, we're in a strange world when TV shows are paying businesses to advertise for THEM.  I guess the movies started it though.  I've never seen Fear Factor.  Do people eat spiders on that show?

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
raj
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2002, 04:26:53 PM »

I've had buffalo when I was out west.  Very nice, though if you cook a bit too long it will get tough, then you have to cook it a bit longer to make it tender again.

I think buffalo (ok bison, but I larnt buffalo as a keed, an' I ain't changin') need more room to roam, and aren't as docile as most cattle.  There are some to do raise them, Ted Turner for one.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2002, 04:47:43 PM »

Not as docile as cattle??  You mean the cowboys won't raise bison/buffalo (I'm not really attached to either word) because they'd rather have the easier and safer task of raising docile little harmless cows?  Man, cowboys used to be tough.  What happened?  Did they start a union or something?

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
raj
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2002, 04:54:01 PM »

We raised a black angus steer one time, when I was a young pup, those things are ornery.  They'll go through strands of barbed wire, and you can hear it scrapping their hide, but they don't seem to care.

But cows have been domesticated for centuries, that's why I'm guessing they're more docile than wild buffalo.

I guess the cowboys would rather just ride all day than deal with a mad buffalo.  Hell, I would too.
John
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2002, 07:42:38 PM »

>I've never seen Fear Factor. Do people eat spiders on that show?

Not sure about spiders, but stink bugs, ants, 100 year old eggs, eggs with baby ducks in them, sheep's eyes, worms, pig rectum, blood balls in a plate of worms, giant hissing cockroaches, raw squid, buffalo testicles...
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2002, 07:45:14 PM »

This show would obviously assist me in cutting down on my snacking.  Ick!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2002, 07:58:46 PM »

They serve the fermented chicken eggs over in Southeast Asia.  They are some sort of delicacy it seems.  Honestly, anything deep fried in the right seasoning tastes good.

I've probably said too much...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Product Advertised « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.