Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:17:43 AM
714325 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Personal Thoughts on the "Alien: Resurrection" Review « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Personal Thoughts on the "Alien: Resurrection" Review  (Read 10332 times)
John
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2002, 12:31:23 AM »

>Whedon made a song and dance in interviews about how he was the only writer
>to work on the script during the production

I can't swear to this, but I have a vague memory of this being discussed on the Buffy forum and Whedon saying that the studio rewrote his script.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2002, 01:33:15 AM »

One quickie word search on google revealed this link:

http://members.tripod.com/~Skiles/alienfaq2.txt

It basically says the first script was totally different (no Ripley); had a different proposed director; different story; the studio nipped and tucked; Weaver was allowed a say; directors were lined up; the script was tweaked more; stuff was cut; endings were changed. It does look like the writer was in charge of most of it, but it doesn't seem as if he was completely in control of where it was going. At least, according to that one link.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2002, 02:50:12 PM »

I used to slice ham at my local grocery store deli........... "What can I get for you sir?"  
"I'll take a pound of the Virginia baked ham."..............No kidding...I really did work there.  ASH
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2002, 03:04:06 PM »

Look, the review hit me in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was out of line on any of my responses, I apologize. I was mad. I tried to be reasonable (and in good humor!) If this didn't come across (and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't) it was due to extreme tiredness on my part.

*****  Not at all, Cullen!  I thought most of your criticisms were on the nose and well-presented, and will keep them in mind the next time I write something.  I have no illusions about being a perfect writer (or of knowing anywhere NEAR as much about bad movies as some of the folks on this board), so I took it as constructive criticism.  I just had a few points about what you said that I thought I'd raise, that's all.  I assumed your exasperated tone was mostly in fun.

It was probably ME who came across wrong.  The pitfalls of communicating in writing I guess.

On a final note:  Maybe Whedon's real gift is as a producer, not a writer.  Just a thought.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2002, 03:09:30 PM »

THE MAN DIDN'T SPEAK A SINGLE WORD OF ENGLISH WHEN HE MADE THIS ALIEN MOVIE!!

*****  That's the funniest thing I have heard all week!  That poor man must have thought someone slipped him a hit of acid or something!

I bet if Peter Sellers were alive to play the lead, you could make a pretty hysterical movie based on Jeunet's involvement with this film.  The interactions with Ron Perlman alone must have been priceless.

Dano
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2002, 03:35:33 PM »

...the first two movies, and even the third one sort of, had a sense of humor.  This isn't to say they were comedies or tried at times to be deliberately funny (although Aliens did with some success I thought).  But there was just a sense of fun to the horror and the satire - the baby alien in Alien especially.

The one time I laughed with (not at) Alien 4 was when Johnner chucked his knife into Vriess's leg and started laughing like a goon.  Bam!  Right there Winona steps in with her 90's style PC indignation and scolds Johnner (and by extension the audience) for this insensitive digression into dark humor.  No fun.

Dano
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2002, 07:04:27 PM »

Jeunet worked with Ron Perlman on City of Lost Children, which was shot in France. Perlman had only an elementary understanding of the language at best, so the situation was reversed. Of anyone, Perlman would have been comfortable with Jeunet during the Aliens movie, and would have been sensitive to the language barrier.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2002, 01:15:35 PM »

Cullen, I take it you never had a cat, because trust me, pal, if there was some big monster that would kill my cat, I'd go back to save it.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2002, 01:21:02 PM »

Cullen, I take it you never had a cat, because trust me, pal, if there was some big monster that would kill my cat, I'd go back to save it.

I've had cats.   In the decision were up to me, the cat's a goner.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Funk, E.
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2002, 07:32:46 PM »

Seems kind of pointless to write a review for a b-movie and then lambast it for being a b-movie. The review read something like what I would expect to see at "And you call yourself a scientist!" but she tends to have more tact in her writting style.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Personal Thoughts on the "Alien: Resurrection" Review « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.