Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:05:11 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bill Paxton « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bill Paxton  (Read 5523 times)
Susan
« on: October 08, 2002, 03:20:07 PM »

Ok, so he's a pretty big star now after stuff like Twister, aliens, True Lies and APollo 13. Sure enough he'll probably continue to get offered big roles in blockbuster type films.

But to me, he's like the modern day b-movie star who got lucky...undeservedly. I don't really like him because mostly he looks like..and seems like the same guy. To me, he'll always be Chet. My lack of memory prevents me from remember what he did in stuff like "Next of kin" or 'predetor 2'. But for the most part he's either a
1. Gun toting crazy person
2. Killer
3. Victim
5. Jerk

Frailty (killer)
Boxing Helena  (I don't remember if anything happened to him, I just recall him being setup to view his armless legless girlfriend in a box and running out of the house or something. for the most part i've tried to block this film out of my mind)
mortuary (killer)
near dark (killer vampire)
pass the ammo (gun toting psycho)
brain dead (never saw it but i bet he's crazy or a killer)
weird science (jerK)
Night warning (something about a killer)
terminator (punk jerk)
future shock (something about the end of the world and aliens. But I think he's got a gun!)
true lies (jerK)

I guess he's payed his dues. I think if you were to ask the average person (which may not include big movie buffs.lol) what films he's been in they couldn't even remember all those, just the recent and blockbuster flicks. Amazing that given his past cheesefest that he has slipped into mainstream films without having been tainted by his past as some actors have where we cannot get past some bad memories of roles they did. With him it's like amnesia.
Tho with "Frailty" i wondered if he was going back to his roots ;-)

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 03:31:43 PM »

He's a character actor, nothing more, nothing less.  He'll play second fiddle 'good old bad boy' peronas to put bread on the table and, on a blessed occassion, land a plume roll in mega-budget hits like Apollo 13 and Twister until he dies.  Your comments can be made about any persona based character actor/actress (So and so always plays such and such).  I like Paxton because he plays them well.

But it's his understated Good Old Boy Sheriff roll in One False Move that showed me what a good actor he could be.  A Simple Plan is also a fairly good piece of work.

I understand his direction in Frailty was quite good as well,

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Susan
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 03:39:56 PM »

I think Paxton isn't as good a character actor as others, i just don't think he has all that much talent. I think he can hold his own, but it seems that he's stereotyped himself into certain types of roles. He isn't the only one. Just thought it was a fun observation of his film work.

No matter what film i see him in, i always expect he's going to lean over at some point and say something like "How about a nice, greasy, pork chop sandwhich served in a dirty ashtray? huhuhuhuh" ;-)

Kinda like the same way I expect keanu to say something like "woah or excellent"

wait..he still does

Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 03:47:41 PM »

I agree with Chadzilla on this one.....if I had to choose a CHARACTER actor as my favorite then Bill Paxton would be it!  
"And a pair of titties!  Make ya wanna stand up and beg for buttermilk!  Ass like a ten year old boy!"  WHAM@!!!!!!!!!!

Susan
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 04:08:15 PM »

A real "character" actor tends to be someone who's in alot of movies in supporting roles who you can't remember their name. The supporting guy type roles. I think paxton has passed that point now (tho he once was one)Buscemi is still in that category. Maybe there are two kinds of character actors these days, the ones you know and the ones you don't. I don't know if gary oldman would qualify but he's the guy that everyone I talk with doesn't know him or cant' recall his films. But in each of his films he is so different that it's no wonder you might not recall or even recognize him.

How about a list of some favorite character actors? ;-)

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 04:39:34 PM »

Check out "The Dark Backward" sometime. "Jerk" doesn't even BEGIN to describe Paxton's role in that one; he's loud, obnoxious, rude, betrays his best friend repeatedly, eats three-week-old chicken, licks a dead body he finds at the dump, has sex with three 400+ pound women, eats refried dogfood, has said women lick said dogfood off his body, plays the accordion... A thoroughly, thoroughly unpleasant character (I loved the movie, though-- why isn't it more notorious?).

Also, it should interest b-fans to note that, long before he was famous, Paxton got his start acting in music videos for Barnes & Barnes, like "Fish Heads," "Love Tap," "Pizza Face," "Soak it Up," and maybe others. (Ironically, he seems to be playing pretty normal guys in those ones).

As for my favorite character actors, let's see...
Jeffrey Combs
Dwight Frye
Tracey Walter
Miguel Ferrer
John Astin
Dick Miller (of course)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 04:45:32 PM »

One film in particular that most people won't recognize Gary Oldman in, especially since he's uncredited,  is "Hannibal."  He plays the disgusting and vile revenge minded Mason Verger.

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 04:56:10 PM »

I beg to differ.  Character Actors are joke monikers because a lot of mainstreamers don't take the time to read the credits...film buffs are different.  Many times I would sit down just to watch a movie that features a few scenes with Dick Miller or Dub Taylor or Strother Martin or Yaphet Kotto or Harry Dean Stanton or Richard Jaekel or Dan Hedaya or L.Q. Jones or Charles Cyphers or Peter Jason or Joe Spinell or Frank/Joe Pesci or Murray Hamilton or Michael Ripper  or Michael Ansara or Ben Johnson or Warren Oates or Bruce Dern or Patrick Macnee or Geoffrey Lewis or Daniel Stern or Mitch Pileggi or Jim Siedow or John Heard or Neville Brand or Oliver Platt or Donald Pleasence or Ted Raimi for that matter.

Besides, as I said, Paxton is persona based actor (not unlike Keanu or Clint Eastwood or even Bogart for that matter) and sometimes the persona that the person does well rubs someone the wrong way - your feelings about Paxton mirror mine about Bruce Campbell (horrors!), yes he's a decent comic talent, but no matter what he does he always seems the same...smarmy and "Hey, its BRUCE CAMPBELL", no if he got the chance to go the route of Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery and got roles that played off it I might like him better.  He rocked in all 14 seconds in Spiderman (hey, what if HE had been the Green Goblin?)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2002, 04:58:02 PM »

Didn't really sounds too bad unilt you said he played the accordian

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2002, 06:22:49 PM »

The Dark Backward is one of the sickest movies I've ever seen, and I'm a disgusting pervert. Gary Oldman is one of my all-time favorite actors. I do think he still qualifies as a character actor, despite two Oscar nominations, because he always plays interesting or quirky characters, and always in supporting roles, and also most non-film buffs don't recognize his name until you give them a filmography.

"Dracula...JFK...The Contender...The Fifth Element...(sigh)...Lost In Space,"
"Oh! That guy!"

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Susan
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 06:39:36 PM »

I feel like i've sen "The dark backward", if I saw a trailer i'd know for sure but IMDB doesn't have one. Given your synopsis vermin boy, i can't imagine what the hell he was thinking when he read that script ;-)

I knew oldman was in "hannibal" most won't underneath the makeup. But in general he's SO different in his films, and accents and mannerism that this is the type of acting I really enjoy. "the professional" (bingo!), the crucible, true romance, air force one. He's the kind of guy who can get a major part and still not be recognized from film to film. Someone who can literally be someone else. Many actors are just themself with a new script.

If by definition you have this type of actor as a person in supporting roles playing distinctive characters then Tim Curry can qualify. From Transvestite to lord of darkness to evil clown he's pretty much covered the board. ;-) Sure movie buffs are a different breed, but i'm speaking mainstream. I feel if an actor's name and face isn't really solid enough to get recognized by viewers, staying in supporting roles with diverse characters that qualifies.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 10:08:33 PM »

Paxton isn't the only one you have to wonder "What was he thinking?" about in that movie; it also features Judd Nelson, James Caan, Lara Flynn Boyle, Rob Lowe, and Wayne Newton (!). None can claim the "before they were stars" defense, either; all were well established by the time the movie came out.

I reiterate: I love that movie, despite (or maybe because of) the fact that it's one of the most grotesque things put on film. When I read the cover blurb comparing it to Brazil, Eraserhead, and Pink Flamingos, I thought they were just cashing in on the names of three major cult hits; The truth is, that combination is a pretty accurate description (maybe add some underground comics into the mix, too).

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
chris
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2002, 12:41:27 AM »

I absolutely love Dark Backward, and about 99% of Paxton's other films.  A lot of people think of him as a one dimensional actor because they mainly know him from Twister, Mighty Joe Young, and U-571.  But I believe the reason Paxton does so many twisted roles is because that's what appeals to him and he's great at playing incredibly bizarre characters.  Occasionally he'll give a real performance (One False Move, Simple Plan, Frailty, Traveller), but he's always drawn back to playing a jerk (Vertical Limit, he's great).  His filmography is loaded with great performances, Chet being one of them, quirky films, and just plain strange films.  I honestly believe he enjoys them, and he's one of the most underrated actors out there.  Or, wait a second, am I thinking of Bill Pulman?  (Speaking of Pulman, he and Paxton are great in the amazing Braindead, and yes, Paxton's a jerk, God bless him)
John
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2002, 12:05:23 AM »

>seems the same...smarmy and "Hey, its BRUCE CAMPBELL

Did you happen to catch his guess appearance on Charmed? Very serious with none of his usual humor.

>Tim Curry can qualify. From Transvestite to lord of darkness

And for just $10, you can own a mini Darkness figure complete with sword and unicorn horn.

I think my favorite underrated/character actor would have to be Kurtwood Smith. From father in Dead Poets Society & The Crush, to mousey businessman in 12:01PM, to vicious killer in Robocop to comedy dad in That 70's Show.
Susan
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2002, 12:34:08 AM »

>>And for just $10, you can own a mini Darkness figure complete with sword and unicorn horn.<<

Goody, I can put him next to my incredible hulk action figure

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bill Paxton « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.