Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:02:57 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie books « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movie books  (Read 4696 times)
Scott Davis
« on: May 03, 2001, 07:24:55 PM »

I'm looking to get some books on different movie genres.

I already have 2 great books on Hong Kong cinema, and I have Lloyd Kaufmans book on the way.

Can anyone suggest some good ones on b-movies and horror movies?

Thanks;
~Scott
Stefan Robak
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2001, 09:53:53 PM »

This one isn't really a reference book but I really enjoyed Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese (from MST3k head Writer and second host Mike J. Nelson).  Imakes fun of movie like Volcano, the Batman movies, Fools Rush Inn and Mystery Science Theater 3000 the movie.
Also I've heard good things about something called the Psychotronic movie book or something like that.
Matt
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2001, 10:42:43 PM »

"Mondo Macabro" by Pete Tombs covers an amazing amount of asian, middle eastern and mexican films. From "Cleopatra Wong, Calamity Of Snakes and "The Man Who Saved The World aka Turkish Star Wars" this book details the orgins of odd films. About 200 pages and filled with tons of photos (many in color) this is great read. The chapters range from Crazy Kung-Fu to Masked Men & Monsters: Mexico and ends with Bloodthirsty Eyes: Japan Part 3.  I ordered my from Barnes & Noble - it took about 5 days to arrive at my local store.  

It cost about $19.00 - very cheap for all it offers!

ISBN # 0-312-18748-3

If you love bad movies - this should be on the top of your list! One of best things about this book is trying to locate a copies of the odd films detailed throughout the book.
Scott Davis
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2001, 01:18:42 AM »

I added the books you mentioned to my list.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find them.
Fritz
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2001, 06:43:36 AM »

If you ever come across this book or The Psychotronic Encyclopaedia of film, snap them up immediatly. Their not cheap but they are the bibles of badmovie fans.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2001, 05:20:46 PM »

As I ask my patrons: What information are you seeking on b-movies and/or horror movies?" "Are you looking for reviews or a history?" "Do you want information on current films or past films?" "Are you looking for information on a particular genera of horror films? Such as vampire films." Which is one of my favorites. Just let me know, and I will see what I can find for you. Until then, may I suggest "Videohound's Horror Show," if for no other reason, then I agree with their opinions as to which are the best and worst horror films. Enjoy
peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2001, 07:54:53 PM »

The Psychotronic Guide to Incredibly Strange Film and Michael Medved's Golden Turkey Awards, volumes 1 and 2 are sort of indispensible, given that they were the first to introduce Ed Wood and Phil Tucker to a bewildered public.
I haven't been to the board here in about a month or more.  Been working on a strange thing called Fishwars -- more on this as it develops --
Scott Davis
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2001, 12:17:44 AM »

I'm looking for books the cover tons of films, talks about different genres, provide capsule reviews, and a little history.

I'mlooking for books along the lines of Hollywood East and Sex Zen and A Bullet to the Head. They're both great books about HK Cinema, it's directors and various genres.

But since I got paid today, a whopping 257 bucks!!, I'll probablybe buying most of the books that have been listed here.

Thanks all for your help.
Duckrazor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2001, 05:59:56 PM »

You should go to the library!  Two great books i got there were
1. Nightmare of Ecstacy= Ed Wood's biography.  really awesome
2. Hollywood talks turkey= old movie stars talk about their biggest failures.  This one time Cary grant or someone walks onto some movie set and ava gardner is drinking vodka from a jar crying going "get me outaa here!!!"

mostly pre- 60's stuff
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2001, 08:15:39 PM »

Alot of films. Alot of reviews. A little history. That is a tall order, but I'll look around where I work, and I'll try to check out some of the larger bookstores in the area, and I'll try to let you know what I have found. Though, what I have found, is that books that do reviews, do not do history, and books that do history, do not do reviews. One of the exceptions, being--I think--the book I mentioned in my earlier post, but, I will see what I can find.
Alisa
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2001, 11:39:18 AM »

i strongly urge you to check out a book entitled Ultra Violent Movies, by Laurent Bouzereau.  It has Harvey Kietel on the cover, taken from a scene in Resevior Dogs.  Great book, i find myself reading it all the time.

Here's a synopsis i got for it: Violence in the movies has undergone a complete revolution. From Bonnie and Clyde and Taxi Driver to Natural Born Killers and True Romance, ultraviolence continues to gain new fans and push the envelope--and cause controversy. Bouzereau offers insight into the visions of such directors as Scorsese, DePalma, Stanley Kubrick and Quentin Tarantino. The result is an intriguing study for film buffs and historians alike. Photos, many in color.

There is a used one available at Amazon.com for 14.95
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2001, 07:02:45 PM »

So far, I have found only three books that have met Scott Davis' criteria. The first is "Oxford Companion to Film." History and reviews. The only problem is the reviews tend to be for films that you would never find at this site. The other two are both by Leslie Halliwell. "Halliwelll Film and Video Guide." 23,000 reviews. Rate from 4 stars (highest) to 0 stars (lowest.) And the companion volume to that one, "Halliwell's Who's Who in the Movies." 11,000 listings. And the best work by each listing is highlighted. That volume also includes listing of themes and genres, movie studios, technical and critical terms, world movies, movie awards, and a brief history of the movies. The only problem I have, is that I strongly disagree with his opinions probably more then 25% of the time. Later in the week, I will try to get out to the bookstores to see, if I can find anything else that might apply. Until then, enjoy
Gonzales
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2001, 06:58:42 PM »

Halliwell is totally insane.  He likes musicals and @!#$ like that.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie books « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.