Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:55:07 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  films everyone likes but you « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: films everyone likes but you  (Read 7996 times)
chris
« on: October 27, 2002, 07:50:24 PM »

I was recently talking to a fellow film fan and this topic came up.  Films that are universally loved by critics and audiences, but you can't see the appeal.  I think the film for me would be Dazed and Confused.  I've yet to meet a person from any walk of life that has disliked this film.  They all found it fun and fresh where I found it boring and routine.  I've given the film a second chance and I still find it dull.  Another one would be Lord of the Rings.  I agree that it was nice to look at, but I was bored senseless by the endless chase scenes and lack of any type of character or story development.  But then again, it's just me, but that's the point.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 09:06:03 PM »

M. Night Shyamalan is, to me, a "been there at the right moment" type deal. Decent director, but his movies lack real suspense. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were predictable (good, but predictable).

As for other movies, add in your usual case of Hollywood blockbusters that I hate.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 09:42:12 PM »

Hard to say.  I dislike a lot of movies that a lot of people like, but in the 'movie crowd' I travel, there is similar sentiment.  So which 'everyone' do you mean? :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Akira Tubo
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 10:39:01 PM »

I don't like The Matrix.  I think it's one of the dumbest, most poorly written and plotted movies I've ever seen.
Steven Millan
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 01:56:57 AM »

Both "Dazed And Confused" and "Pulp Fiction" put me into an immediate coma,once the mere mention,or film clip from one of those two movies begins to come around.
                       As far as it goes for me,both "Lord Of The Rings",and any M. Night Shylaman film easily blows both of those films away.
Perk
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 02:05:31 AM »

The Blair Witch Project.. I heard such good things about it, my roommate said he saw it four times in the theatre, and when I saw it the whole theatre talked throughout it.  I actually enjoyed it and then I tried to watch it when it came on TV and that's when I realized that the only thing that made it watchable for me was the fact that the people talked throughout it.  That movie bores the living daylight out of me.
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 02:20:09 AM »

Both THE MATRIX, BRAVEHEART, THE PATRIOT, and TRAFFIC. Everybody likes these films, but I don't. BRAVEHEART was a bore, THE PATRIOT was an unintentional joke, THE MATRIX was plotless as well as pointless, and the only good scenes in TRAFFIC were the Mexican scenes.

I have no problem that people like these flicks and they are intitled to their opinion. But when I say I don't like these films all of a sudden I am being questioned harshly about my sense of taste in film, etc. It just makes me wonder how do these people get on with their lives if somebody doesn't like their favorite film. I know people who didn't like BRAINDEAD, but it doesn't bother me. I get on with my life.

Also, I recently saw WINDTALKERS. One thing is for sure, those critics were certainly a bunch of windtalkers. John Woo at his worst, and that is not saying much. For a film titled WINDTALKERS, you would think it's about the Indians cracking the Japanese code in WW2. Nope, it's all about white-caucason Nicholas Cage and him having a problem with his life for 2 hours. Just boring. I should have just kept my money in my pocket!
chris
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 02:55:53 AM »

Just thought of another 3, Saving Private Ryan, The Insider and Minority Report.  However, unlike the previous 2 I have found one person for each who agrees with me, thus proving I'm not stark raving mad.
Evan3
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 03:03:59 AM »

Dude, Minority Report was EXCELLENT definitely one of spielburg's best!! Anyways, I agree with M. Night, I just dont see it, his movies are all vaguely good...... vaguely. I also dont understand the rage for Moulin Rouge, they couldnt even write their own songs? Someone explain, and honestly, I didnt like any of the New Star Wars, has anyone liked them?
Foywonder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 05:51:28 AM »

"One thing is for sure, those critics were certainly a bunch of windtalkers."

Critics hated WINDTALKERS. Audiences hated WINDTALKERS. It bombed.

THE PATRIOT flopped too.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2002, 06:10:02 AM »

Well, I really enjoyed Episode II. The "romance" scenes were pathetic, but the whole film was a great inprovement over Episode I and I had lots of fun with certain passages.

About me, I can't understand why people say films like "Traffic" (schematic and idiotic), "The insider" (too long and uncompelling, with this and the elaborate aesthetics I felt I was entering Ridley Scott territory, and that's not a compliment) or "Shreck" are that great. While everybody went mad about "Shreck" it just left me cold, and I think it is an overrated movie. There's much more fun and intelligence in, for instance,  "Porco Rosso", right now my favourite anime film. To think most people I know still haven't even heard of it...

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2002, 07:25:51 AM »

Some for me were Dirty Dancing, Footloose, MIB2, The Doors, and Natural Born Killers
I just don't get the appeal of any of these films

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Brock
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2002, 08:36:43 AM »

I just like to pretend that the Star Wars prequels never happened, unless Episode Three proves otherwise (doubt it).  Here's a hint:  If you have to justify why you like it (Haydn Christenssen is actually a really good actor in other movies...) when you really only liked it out of loyalty, it ain't a good movie.

I also think that Braveheart, Office Space, and Schindler's List are way overrated.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2002, 11:57:36 AM »

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Boredom.

Nathan

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
jmc
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2002, 12:14:55 PM »

I don't like Crouching Tiger either....

Also, Dead Alive.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  films everyone likes but you « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.