Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:15:17 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  films everyone likes but you « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: films everyone likes but you  (Read 8014 times)
Brock
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2002, 07:13:11 PM »

Oh, "Dead Poets Society" was pure drippy, manipulative emotional dreck.  I hate it when movies set out to "change" people and go out of their way to try and make you cry.
Bernie
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2002, 07:22:57 PM »

Agreed!  And I'm a rank sentimentalist -- I get all choked every time when King Kong dies.  

But there's something about movies that are so cynically blatantly manipulative that just p**ses me off...
John
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2002, 04:33:13 AM »

I can't stand the movie Hackers. It gets praised in almost every review and supposedly it had real hackers as technical consultants. Apparently they were consulting on the scenery since none of the computer scenes in that movie even resemble reality. To me it seems more like it was written by someone who'd never used a computer before, only been told about them. "It has writing on the screen-thingy? I guess it's probably really big so that it's easy to read!"
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2002, 12:24:50 PM »

Ah, the elusive appeal of the watermelon...

Nathan

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Starsky
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2002, 04:54:45 PM »

Hutch,

We need to talk.

Starsky
Virgill
New Visitor

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2002, 05:55:06 PM »

I would name a couple.  The first is Apocalyspe Now.  Probably the most unrealistic Nam movie ever made.  If you ever run into a Nam Vet who tells you that is how it was; he is either lying or he was stoned out of his gourd the whole time he was there.  I have a friend who is a Nam Vet.  He told me that amoung the many other things about the movie that bugged him where all the bright lights.  One of the main goals of a fighting unit, at virtually all times, is to be as invisable as possible.  At night you don't even light up a ciggerette unless you are under cover.  A burning ember can give away the location of your whole group.  Keep that in mind the next time you watch that movie and view all the brightly colored lights.   You might as well put up big signs that say "Here we are!  If you want to shoot at us then aim right here!"  The other one is JFK.  I have not seen this piece of Oliver Stoned crap.  Nor do I ever intend to waste 3 hours of my life doing so.  The movie is riddled with inaccuracys.  One reasearcher was able to list over a hundred.  Unfortanetly it is,from what I hear, a effective piece of propaganda. It has caused many people to buy into a set of theorys,most of which fall apart with even a little bit of crittical research.  If the movie were as poorly made as its premise was thought out it could easily join the many other gems on this sight. Incidently, Oliver Stoned could not find any weapon that emitted a white puff of smoke when fired.  So in the movie he had a sideman blow white smoke out of a billow when the actor took a shot.  A fitting metafore for the whole movie if you asked me..
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2002, 06:48:01 PM »

I don't think they were exactly going for realism with Apocalypse Now.  Still, it is certainly valid to feel that it is over-rated given the massive acclaim it received.  I think it was a pretty ingenius movie, but I find it hard to watch the whole thing in one sitting - especially since my copy is the Redux version with like FORTY minutes of extra footage.  

Did you know Colleen Camp was one of the Playboy bunnies?  I realized it when I saw an extended scene with her in it.  By virtue of her NAME she should have been a B-Movie Queen.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
John
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2002, 05:33:34 AM »

>The first is Apocalyspe Now. Probably the most unrealistic Nam movie ever >made.

When AN came out, it looked cool. When it came to cable, I watched it and didn't understand any of it.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2002, 12:07:15 AM »

Take away that scene where they shot the security guards with the 18 billion guns, and you've got nothing

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Foywonder
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2002, 03:59:08 AM »

At the risk of committing a cardinal sin, I would have to say EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS. I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't think it was the great b-movie so many others have declared it to be.

Other than that, I don't see why Kevin Smith is so popular. Lots of profanity, some drug use, and an endless supply of self conscious pop culture references. Aside from CHASING AMY, that's basically the plot of every last one of his films.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2002, 04:47:34 AM »

I love The Matrix. I won't try to change your minds, because I can't, but I'll explain why I and so many others enjoy it-

It's the first good, credible "cyberpunk" film. It has an interesting Phillip K. Dick-type sci-fi story and dark, stylized visuals.

It's a well-directed action movie. It reminds me of Die Hard or Raiders Of The Lost Ark in its editing and build-up at the end. Imagine Michael Bay or Tony Scott making The Matrix. Scary thought.

Yes, there is a lot of better kung-fu action out there, but the chop sockey here is still fun, and it helped bring more mainstream moviegoers into Hong Kong filmmaking.          

The special effects, sound, cinematography and music are all top-notch. It's a well-made movie.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  films everyone likes but you « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.