Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:49:30 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Night - Mixed Results « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: B-Movie Night - Mixed Results  (Read 10891 times)
Foywonder
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2002, 09:51:58 PM »

I live in Mississippi. Dominos actually makes a seafood pizza (shrimp, crab meat, and spicier sauce) down here. NEVER ORDER IT!
AndyC
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2002, 11:13:00 PM »

Yep, I think you're right about kids and bad movies. I wasn't planning on kids that age
AndyC
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2002, 11:32:58 PM »

Just been talking with Lori, and the results are in for the B-movie night. Apparently, some of the kids have said they enjoyed it. Even the real troublemaker of the group actually asked when the next one will be held. Thinking about it, I suppose he had the most sarcastic sense of humour out of the whole bunch. His taste in movies might well come around when he's older.

Looks like Deena was right, and the kids had a better time than they were letting on. The evening was not the disaster I'd thought it was, so maybe we'll try it again some time. Still, I wouldn't mind a chance to put the same show together for an older crowd.

Hope I didn't sound too bitter, but I was as much angry at my own perceived failure as I was at the kids. I still stand by my statement that their parents should be teaching them manners and making them try new things.

By the way, how did this thread come to focus so much on pizza?
Andre Toulon
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2002, 11:55:04 AM »

MMMM.... Pizza.  (I'm a big Hawaiin pizza fan but don't believe I liked it until I hit about 15-16 years old).

Anyway, that story was so painful to read I really felt for you, Andy.  Although I must admit I laughed more than a few times.

I'm glad to hear that the reviews a few days later were positive.  I agree 100 per cent with you regarding children's respect (or lack thereof) these days.  If I didn't like something when I was that age, I shut up and ate it.  That's the way it was.  

Keep up the good work.  Sounds like the kids may appreciate it but just don't know how to show it.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2002, 01:22:05 PM »

Oh,well.
....Sorry Lori ans you were so stressed. But, kids have energy that leaves us old folks in the dust.
....Kids at age are still Little animals. Subject to the impulses of emotion, and following the herd. I was never a follower, and being a loner, the "Normals" were a pain. When you notice things that the group can't see, it leaves you feeling out of place. Getting an adult joke, and seeing the others stare at you like your a two headed mutant, is a depressing experiance.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Evan3
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2002, 09:32:18 PM »

It would be tough to have a kosher pizza. I am not the strictest Kosher Jew, but I try as best I can without cooking myself ( I am in college, just cant do it) or being a vegetarian ( I love meat)

1. No pork, ever, it is so unkosher, so there goes pepperoni, sausage and all the real fun stuff (Hawaiian is out too).  Shellfish is unkosher unconditionally as well (so there goes that southern seafood pizza).

2. In order to be kosher, there is a specific (and I hear more humane) way of killing the animal, and it has to be under the supervision of a rabbi. Howeve, you can not mix milk and meat such as beef because that is unkosher (it is a perversion to cook a child in its mother's milk, it makes sense to me) So that leaves only chicken.

3. Any item, fork, pot, hand, water that has touched meat may not touch a dairy product because then you have contaminated it, so everything MUST be cooked seperately (in different ovens if you may)

So, while some things taste much better when cooked Kosher, Pizza doesnt. I have tasted it. It is awful. Dont try it yourself. It is bad. I warn you,
AndyC
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2002, 09:54:04 AM »

Thanks for the info. I figured kosher pizza would be difficult, but now it seems to be a virtual impossibility - at least if you want it to turn out anything like a regular pizza.

Of course, now I'm going to get creeped out every time I cook beef in any kind of cream sauce. Thanks for the imagery :)
lester1/2jr
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2002, 06:09:10 PM »

Make a movie out of that story and I'll go see it.  Some of the ridiculous dialogue here about the hawaiin pizza would make a nice Tarantino-esque touch.  Maybe the story could be like a flashback and the movie could be about hawaiin pizza.
John
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2002, 10:39:44 PM »

>3. Any item, fork, pot, hand, water that has touched meat may not touch a dairy
>product because then you have contaminated it, so everything MUST be
>cooked seperately (in different ovens if you may)

Wouldn't it contaminate your mouth if you eat beef and then drink milk or eat a dairy product? No offense, but it seems a little silly to me, especially as it would mean I could no longer have bacon cheeseburgers.

As for Pizza, I prefer sausage followed by pepperoni and sometimes bacon. Other toppings just don't taste right to me. About kids being picky eaters; I kind of sympathize with them since I hated being made to eat stuff I hated. Think how you'd feel if you went to a party and the only food choices offered to you were raw squid, monkey brains and fried tarantula. A plain pepperoni pizza would start looking pretty good to you...
Evan3
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2002, 02:44:37 PM »

Hmmm, yes, u would have a tough time being kosher. There is a loophole (that I think is justified). You can drink milk, than water, than eat meat, but water between each mixing.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2002, 04:22:09 PM »

John wrote:
>
> Think how
> you'd feel if you went to a party and the only food choices
> offered to you were raw squid, monkey brains and fried
> tarantula. A plain pepperoni pizza would start looking pretty
> good to you...

There is a big difference between a mushroom and a monkey brain, but that's beside the point.

The point is that there were choices available. There were three different kinds of pizza, as well as some candy, nachos and salsa, and potato chips. As far as I could see, everybody enjoyed something. The problem was a few kids who felt that everything must comply to their own personal taste, and loudly registered their displeasure at anything that didn't.

I might have given the impression that I got what I liked and tried to force it on the kids. Actually, I got what I honestly thought were plain pizzas that would please anybody. Some of the kids just turned out to be pickier than any kids I've dealt with before - a fact I'll remember the next time. Still, that's no excuse for them to be rude. Like the pizza or not, when somebody gives you something, you should at least appreciate the effort and be polite. I think I would have been more sympathetic to them had it not been for their tone. They've obviously gotten used to taking everything for granted.

What still boggles my mind though is that the event seems to have been a success, although by any measure of mine, it bombed.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2002, 04:43:56 PM »

Don't be hard on yourself, I think you did a good job, introducing new things to kids, especially  the movies, but even the Hawaiian pizza.  I did try it a couple of times when I was living in Oregon.  Don't care for it, but at least I tried it.  Of course, the only really good pizza is to be found in an Italian pizzaria in New York (and not just the city).

FWIW, I was a very fussy eater as a kid, but since I started buying my own food, my tastes have changed.  Mmm, raw calimari and monkey brains.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2002, 04:47:53 PM »

raj wrote:
>
> Of course, the only really good pizza is to be
> found in an Italian pizzaria in New York

It's on my list of things to try if I visit there.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2002, 10:27:38 PM »

Andy - VERY entertaining story!  People who do what you do with kids are saints in my book.  A couple of observations that may raise your spirits.

1)  My nieces have very good, strict parents who make them eat things they don't feel like eating, try new things etc., and they would NEVER talk back to their parents.  BUT, when the older girls are out with me, I see them pull some of the same crap you were talking about.  I know they're being raised right, so I think it's more a matter of them trying to strike out on their own and develop a little autonomy when they're with me (I'm not the strict parent, and in your situation, neither were you).  I think this is a pretty natural part of growing up.  Probably it's the kids who DON'T act up once in a while that you need to be concerned about.

2)  The single most common mistake I see adults make when dealing with kids is they assume that they're just "small adults."  They try to reason with them like they're adults, they expect them to be able to enjoy stuff on an adult level.  Kids aren't small adults - they're kids.  I'm not surprised at all that the kids enjoyed your movie night... they just didn't enjoy it in the way you expected them too (the way the adults on this site enjoy those kinds of movies).  This doesn't change the fact that they DID enjoy it and they want more.  Keep at it, sounds like a success to me.

3)  Not eating something you don't like is a perfectly normal human instinct.  Not eating Hawaiian pizza is just as normal.  Still, I hope you at least got thanked for buying the pizza... they should have known at least that much.

4)  If this is a church group, maybe they'd like Children of the Corn... just kidding!
: )

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
wuggles451
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2002, 11:39:57 PM »

spoiled brats man my younger sister and 16 year-old bro ar the same way no idea your supposed to go with the flow laugh at stupid movie

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Night - Mixed Results « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.