Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:56 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent viewings: Up!, Star Trek, etc. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Recent viewings: Up!, Star Trek, etc.  (Read 6266 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2002, 06:47:43 AM »

On the good side - we watched "The Wrath of Khan" tonight and that is probably my favorite "Star Trek" film.

I was thinking about this one when I wrote above about trying to be "profound".  Star Trek is always trying to be meaningful, but ironically, this is probably the best movie and it's based arounf a simple revenge story set up by an earlier T.V. episode.  (The whole Genesis Device has some interesting ramifications, but it's really just a McGuffin here)

Yeah, that was made clear in the novel, and in magazine articles and such, but the whole pheromone thing was never explained in the movie

Similar to the whole explanation of Savik being half Romulan, which expains her occasional emotional reactions, as well as a romance subplot beween her and Kirk's son that was left out of the movies.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2002, 11:52:15 AM »

"Wrath of Kahn", "Save the whales", and "Shakespear in Space" were the best of the bunch for me. I was urinated off when Kirk got so little time playing off Picard in "Revenge of the Droogmeister". No chance to meet Worf, and say "You remind me of my lawyer"
....Sheesh!
...."Wrath" kept it simple. "Profundity" can't be planned, very much. It realy tends to just happen. But, Kahn wanting Kirk's seat cusion ...think "Situpon"...made it easy to get into the flick. The scene where the Big E leaves spacedock was a beauty. Love that music track.
....Ah,well. Maby we'll get luckey, and The next Trek...the crew meats up with the Red Dwarf!
....He he he he he.....Data and Kryton haveing a discussion on humor...Riker and Lister picking up girls....Picard trying to strangle Rimmer, and for getting he's a hologram...Work finding the Holowhip!....Loved the Dwarf eph. that was a Trek parody. Me like!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2002, 12:51:05 PM »

Seems to me, the shots of the Enterprise leaving drydock in Wrath of Khan were recycled from TMP. Mean Gene spent a wad of cash on the special effects in the first movie, and they were determined to get their money's worth. I think a big part of Wrath was to show that a Star Trek movie, under the right management, could live up to fans' expectations while being done for a reasonable price.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2002, 02:15:56 PM »

Andrew wrote:
>
> On the good side - we watched "The Wrath of Khan" tonight and
> that is probably my favorite "Star Trek" film.  

Mine too.

"KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Great stuff.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2002, 03:56:04 PM »

"You lied"
"I exaggerated"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
John
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2002, 01:34:35 AM »

>we watched "The Wrath of Khan" tonight and that is probably my favorite "Star
>Trek" film.

Mine too, although it's extremely annoying when the writers ignore established facts to create an artificial crisis. So the Genesis device is getting ready to detonate, so what? Beam it off the reliant and then disperse its atoms into space. No more danger.

>Similar to the whole explanation of Savik being half Romulan, which expains her
>occasional emotional reactions,

Ever notice how Spock was supposed to be half human, but unless he was under outside influence he kept his emotions perfectly hidden, yet every vulcan in any of the various ST series since then, who are supposed to be pure vulcans, often display irritation and annoyance?
peter johnson
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2002, 02:35:18 AM »

One thing that still puzzles me is how come the damn Klingons that appear in "Trouble With Tribbles", and other stuff, only have swarthy skin, without any of the head bumps & ridges & Rasta haircuts that all came to be de regure.
Also, as John says, I can't watch any of the Enterpirse/new stuff because all the Vulcans are so expressive and emotive.  I mean, wasn't that what Vulcans were supposed to be?  Emotionless?  Oh, well . . . cue the battle noises in the vacuum of space . . .
peter johnson
John
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2002, 03:21:38 AM »

>One thing that still puzzles me is how come the damn Klingons that appear
>in "Trouble With Tribbles", and other stuff, only have swarthy skin, without any of
>the head bumps & ridges & Rasta haircuts that all came to be de regure.

Me too. The episode of DS9 where they went back in time to the Trouble With Tribbles episode, the characters were shown being puzzled that the Klingons didn't look like Worf, which makes the change more than just a makeup change, it's part of the ST universe now. But then in Enterprise, they look like Worf again. The only explanation I can think of that makes any sense is that Q changed them to look human, then changed them back at some point. Either that, or the fan idea that the Klingons in the original show were half-breeds created as a sub-class, but there's no evidence in the shows to support that.

There are other changes also; in at least one episode of the original show, the Klingons took hostages and executed them, but in an episode of ST:TNG, it was stated that Klingons never take hostages because it wouldn't be honorable.

Of course Enterprise is screwing up other things in the Trek universe by including them just to give the fans something familiar. Why didn't Picard and his crew know what the Ferengi looked like when Archer had already met them? Who wants to bet that the Borg will eventually show up on Enterprise?
raj
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2002, 02:32:50 PM »

Re: Ferengis.  Um, Archer, et al., met them only once, and 100+ years later knowledge of them has sort of slipped through the cracks.  And the Vulcans don't want to give out the information to humans.

I like Enterprise, it is sort of nice to see a captain whose sort of flailing away in space, and not have a transporter get people out of every jam (except the ones caused by that ridiculous holo-deck)
John
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2002, 11:07:26 PM »

>Ferengis. Um, Archer, et al., met them only once, and 100+ years later
>knowledge of them has sort of slipped through the cracks.

Just like I'm sure knowledge of the Borg will slip through the cracks when they eventually show up on Enterprise.

>I like Enterprise,

Me too, but sometimes I find Archer's attitude kind of annoying. "Hey look, it's a Klingon outpost surrounded by hundreds of heavily armed warriors, let's go down and offer them some cookies!" It seems like he thinks every race in the galaxy is going to welcome them with open arms and he makes some really stupid decisions. Like the episode with his dog getting sick; they're going to visit a race that is so incredibly easy to offend that they don't even know when they're done so, and he insists on bringing his dog with him. These people are offended by others EATING in front of them and he's surprised that his dog peeing on a sacred tree offends them?
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent viewings: Up!, Star Trek, etc. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.