Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:36 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your favorite "that guy" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Your favorite "that guy"  (Read 13671 times)
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 04, 2002, 07:44:42 PM »

Ahhh, the "that guy."  Where would we be without him?

For those of you who don't know, a "that guy" is one of those character actors that appears in a lot of movies, but no one really knows his name.  When you see him in something, you're likely to point him out and say "It's that guy!"  Some of the "that guys" now have names commonly associated with them, such as Reginald VelJohnson and Seymor Hoffman.

So I put it o you guys:

A) Who's your favorite "that guy"

B) Describe a "that guy" and see if anyone knows his actual name.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 08:07:28 PM »

Not really my favorite, but I think "Brion James" qualifies as a 'that guy'

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Evan3
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 09:19:44 PM »

How about that guy from the show sliders and scream 2, he keeps popping up randomly
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 10:42:53 PM »

He's a good one!  "That guy's" name is jerry O'Connell, apparently.

I think my favorite "That guy" is the dude who was in "Anaconda" and recently starred in "Behind Enemy Lines."  Who is that guy, anyway?

"Anybody want a peanut?"
sufferbus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 11:14:52 PM »

how bout that chinese dude thats been in every action movie ever made... i think maco is his name or some crap like that, but he's got to be the king of "that guy"...
AndyC
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 11:42:14 PM »

Ah, Mako. Yup, he's played Japanese soldiers, karate instructors, wizards and plenty of generic Japanese guys.

If you want aboriginal, Graham Greene is 'that guy.' If you can't get him, there's always Tom Jackson (aka Billy Two Feathers).

I used to consider Ben Stein to be 'that guy,' but he soon became known by name.

One of my favourites, however, would have to be Vincent Sciavelli, whom I used to know as 'that guy with the droopy face.' It would be a toss-up between him and Michael Berryman, that bald guy with the really weird face.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 11:52:30 PM »

Mako is a tremendous example...also a good one is that big dude who has played Native Americans and Asian people as well in a lot of bad movies...I don't know his name, but I can conjure up a good picture of him...he may even have been in "The Scorpion King..."  Theres also Mr. Miagi...and idea what "that guy's" real name is?  I don't think he's the same as Mako.  Mako was in the Conan series (you gotta love Conan!), if I recall correctly, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Miagi was not.

James Earl Jones used to be a great "that guy" but I think after "Field of Dreams" his cover was blown.

Also important to note is that Reginald VelJohnson, a.k.a. Carl Winslow or the cop in the "Die Hard" movies actually does do other things than be a big cop in T.V. and movies!!!!  He was recently on "Will and Grace" playing a even bigger gay leader of a support group.  I could be wrong, I don't watch the show, but that's what I heard.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 03:13:42 AM »

I'd throw Danny Trejo in as a hispanic 'that guy'

Also Bolo Yeung

=======================
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 08:17:42 AM »

"He's a good one! "That guy's" name is jerry O'Connell, apparently."

I recently noticed that that guy played Vern (the fat kid) in 'Stand By Me' as well.

"Theres also Mr. Miagi...and idea what "that guy's" real name is?"

That's Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita. He wins the award for the most random name shortening. "My name's Noriyuki but you can call me Pat". He was also Arnold in Happy Days. I used to get him mixed up with another 'that guy', Victor Wong, who's the old chinese guy in Big Trouble in Little China, the Golden Child, Tremors and 3 Ninjas.

My other nomination is Paul Giamatti. He may be higher profile in the U.S., but while watching the new Planet of the Apes i actually said 'hey, its that guy' but couldnt even remember one thing I'd seen him in.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 09:09:57 AM »

Also important to notw is Lou Diamond Phillips, who keeps turning up.  I can never remember anything that he's in....except for that movie where they kidnap China Chong (what an interesting name that is!) and I think he was in Bats......

"Anybody want a peanut?"
raj
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 10:58:25 AM »

He's also in Route 666 (which was on recently, IIRC).
He's actually a prime candidate for a "Where are They Now" segment, I can't even remember his character's name on Miami Vice.
Neville

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 11:32:22 AM »

Both Vincent Schiaveli and Danny Trejo are really good examples. But I have an even better one: Al Leong. I'll elaborate: Nobody knows how this man is called, but you can found him in any american actioner featuring orientals (check IMDB).

His speciality is being cast as a chinese goon and die horribly after a few scenes, when not in the very first one. He was the chinese goon in "Die Hard" (that guy Willis shoots in the rooftop), the chinese goon in "The replacement killers", the chinese goon in "Escape from L.A.". And who could forget him as the chinese goon in "Death warrant"? His appearence always steals some good laughs from me and my friends and we never get dissapointed whenever he enters frame. He is always the warranty of a cheesy movie and some inevitable violence.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Andre Toulon
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 11:40:40 AM »

Ron White is the biggest "that guy" I've seen in my lifetime.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw him in that horrible movie "Screamers".
Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2002, 12:13:01 PM »

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw him in that horrible movie "Screamers".

Other then the multiple shock-endings, I really liked Screamers

=======================
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2002, 02:07:42 PM »

As long as we're doing Asian That Guys, the all-time record has to go to James Hong.  Everyone in the world has seen him somewhere; according to his official site (http://www.jamshong.com), he's been in over 450 movies and TV episodes.

My favorite That Guy has got to be Art LaFleur, though.

And what's incredibly special is when you get a That Guy movie, where the ENTIRE CAST is That Guys.  Like Chaindance (1990), starring Michael Ironside and Brad Dourif doing meaningful dramatic roles (with Rae DAwn Chong on the side!).

Nathan

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your favorite "that guy" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.