Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:22 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your favorite "that guy" « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Your favorite "that guy"  (Read 13688 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2002, 02:19:19 PM »

Amazing how many of these actors don't have photos on IMDB

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2002, 02:23:57 PM »

On the subject of Asian 'that guys,' MASH was chock full of familiar faces playing the Koreans. Wish I could put names to some of them. Most of them I know by such names as the little bald guy, the big bald guy, the really wide-eyed guy, etc.

One name that actually springs to mind is Keye Luke, who played wise old Chinese guys quite a bit. I believe he was also a Korean on MASH at least once or twice, and played Mac's Vietnamese grandfather-in-law on Night Court. He had a very distinctive voice, and did quite a few cartoons as well.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2002, 03:12:40 PM »

IMDb has a "Place the Face" feature on their photo galleries page, which usually features actor like these.

Today's example isn't a very good one, though.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2002, 03:30:00 PM »

Today's example isn't a very good one, though.

Yeah, you gotta be seen in more than two movies to get 'that guy' status :)

=======================
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2002, 06:03:54 PM »

Don Davis is a pretty good one; he played Major Briggs on Twin Peaks, and I think he's on that Stargate show too. I nearly did a spit-take when I saw him as a judge in Best In Show.

And let's not forget perhaps the king of the That Guys: Dick Miller!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
ahab
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2002, 07:00:23 PM »

I think that Steve Buscemi qualifies as a that guy. He could almost qualify for the new Borgnine or George Kennedy of this era. Also Jeff Imada is another asian that guy. he's been in Rapid Fire, Big Trouble in Little China, And Die Hard just to name a few.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2002, 08:15:35 PM »

For those who don't know westerns, Sam Elliot is a good "that guy with the mustache"

Also, F. Murray Abraham, who was in 13 Ghosts, Mimic, Muppets in Space, Mobsters, Mighty Aphrodite, National Lampoons Loaded Weapon, Star Trek:  Insurrection, Finding Forrester, a bunch of Bible movies, and many other things.  He's right up there for most random career ever.

On a side note, a notable "that girl" is Cameron Manenheim, who always plays the slightly awkward chunky girl.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Evan3
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2002, 09:09:53 PM »

I dont know for sure, but wouldn't Gene Hackman really fit the role of a that guy. He always seems to be in the most random of movies and will do anything, from a blind man in Young Frankenstein, to Lex Luthor in Superman, I know he is famous now, but I think he was an original that guy
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2002, 11:00:57 PM »

Just remembered another one: That guy who always played the gay characters in Mel Brooks' movies-- The director's manservant in The Producers, Count DuMonet's friend in History of the World, Part 1, etc. What was that guy's name, anyway? Is he still around?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2002, 12:18:05 AM »

I don't think Gene Hackman counts because he's too well known and has had too many leading roles....

"Anybody want a peanut?"
peter johnson
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2002, 01:09:23 AM »

Christ!  No way in hell can I pull "Karman Ghia"'s real name out of a hat -- good one . . .
I worked with Mako on the PRI production of "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" -- he plays the King of the Flying Monkeys -- He is a really nice man with a great sense of humour -- he laughs at everyone's jokes, even the not-very-good ones.  I got a laugh out of him by doing an imitation of him & Frank Burns (Larry Linville) on the M.A.S.H. TV show.
My favorite "That Guy" is/was Elisha Cook Jr., before I ever knew who he was -- that guy was in at least as many movies as Mako -- or so it seems . . .
peter johnson
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2002, 11:26:04 AM »

Don't know why I didn't think of him before, but Kenneth Tigar is the epitome of "that guy." He's got a fairly distinctive face, and shows up in a lot of movies. some of you guys might remember him as the priest in Phantasm II. He has also done an impressive number of guest appearances on TV.

I think the thing that makes Kenneth Tigar a real "that guy" is that I wasn't even aware of his name until I looked it up this morning, but I've known his face for about 20 years.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2002, 11:46:47 AM »

I also think Tim Curry is obscure enough to be a that guy.  Sure, he was famous for Rocky Horror, but you very rarely can recognize him because he's always has make-up on or something, so when he appears plain clothed, no one knows who he is.  He was in:

Rocky Horror Picture Show (Frank 'n' Furter)
Legend (Satan)
It (the clown)
Some Nickelodian movie (the bad guy)
Clue (the butler)
He also appeared on Roseanne for a while as Jackie's boyfriend.

He's been in a lot of other things....(what was that Tom Arnold movie about the Army guys....MacHale's Navy or something?)

So yeah, I think he counts.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2002, 12:52:03 PM »

Tim Curry: Muppet Treasure Island. That guy.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Fearless Freep

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2002, 01:34:23 PM »

Tim Curry - "Alan Rickman"for when your story's not quite that serious

=======================
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your favorite "that guy" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.