Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:15 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winona Ryder found GUILTY « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Winona Ryder found GUILTY  (Read 5109 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 06, 2002, 04:01:50 PM »

of felony grand theft and vandalism!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 04:11:14 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Evan3
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 04:57:56 PM »

Its always refreshing to see an arrogant loser receive justice (like Robert Downey Jr.)
raj
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 06:40:59 PM »

Well, it was kinda hard to explain all that clothing and stuff with the price tags cut off.  Her latest excuse "I was just researching for a movie role, yeah, that's the ticket, a movie role that was going to win me an Oscar, yeah, and the presidency of France, yeah, that's the ticket" (sorry, just channeling for Jon Lovizt for a second) was pretty damn lame.  She should have said that she was whacked out on those pain pills, and didn't know what she was doing.

2 to 1 she gets no jail time, just probation, community service and a hefty fine.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 06:54:40 PM »

I'm not surprised she was convicted. Her lawyer's arguments made no sense.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 06:59:09 PM »

raj wrote:
>
>  
> 2 to 1 she gets no jail time, just probation, community
> service and a hefty fine.

My guess as well, jail sentence suspended, hefty fine, and community service...

maybe as a Door Greeter at Wal-Mart?

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
John
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 10:44:25 PM »

I think they should send her to jail and film it as a new women in prison movie. I'd pay to watch the shower scene.
Squishy
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2002, 05:30:01 AM »

Eh, I'd be surprised if Robert frickin' Blake did time. They're celebrities, they tain't like you and me. Still, it WAS nice to see her found guilty...
Evan3
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2002, 02:39:58 PM »

hmmm, how sad when the punishment doesnt fit the crime, in my opinion the jury should spend a month in Siberia for such lax punishment
raj
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2002, 02:53:26 PM »

Wait, there hasn't been any punishment yet, we're all just guessing.  FWIW, most shoplifting cases result in very little, or no, jail time (at least for first offenses).
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2002, 03:54:26 PM »

Yeah, the sentancing is not until next month or so.

Hard to say, shoplifting as a first offense doesn't seem to carry much of a penalty so if she got of with probation and community service, I don't think it would be too unreasonable, celebrity status or no.

On the other hand, the value of what she lifted was a lot higher than most shoplifting offences :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2002, 05:14:46 PM »

How do theft laws work in the USA? In Canada, when the stolen goods are worth more than $5,000, it becomes a different crime. There's theft under and theft over $5,000.

Assuming the charge of grand theft is comparable to our theft over, I'd think that would qualify her for a stiffer penalty than a shoplifter who rips off something small.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that she'll get a slap on the wrist.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2002, 06:28:36 PM »

raj wrote:  2 to 1 she gets no jail time, just probation, community service and a hefty fine.
*****  C'mon, raj, who the heck gets jail time for for a first-offense shoplifting rap??  If she was a nobody picked up for a first offense the 2 to 1 odds would be that the store wouldn't even press charges.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
raj
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 11:21:54 AM »

It depends on the state, each one gets to set its own level of what is a felony and what's a misdemeanor.  There may be some federal constitutional issues involved in punishing too severely a petty crime (such as taking a candy bar and getting life in prison for it.)  California's three strikes law is actually now before the Supreme Court for that issue.  Apparently now Winona has 2 strikes, since she's gotten 2 convictions out of this.

I've stumbled across a good take on the California system here:
http://volokh.blogspot.com/
It's the fourth item down under the Wednesday, November 06, 2002 heading.
Redjackr
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 03:36:16 PM »

FREE WINONA!!!

sorry, i just had to say it
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winona Ryder found GUILTY « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.