Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:23:54 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Return of Stuff I Seen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Return of Stuff I Seen  (Read 7068 times)
Chadzilla
« on: February 22, 2001, 03:24:08 PM »

Oakey Dokey...

Tidal Wave: No Escape (1997ish)

Please, please, please tell me that the George Miller that directed this made for television disaster movie is not the same one responsible for Mad Max and other genre delights!

Corbin Bernson is a disgraced scientist (hehehe) that is surfing in Hawaii (hehehehehe) that looks suspiciously like British Columbia (hehehehehe).  Laurence Hilton Jacobs, a Federal Agent (hehehehehehehe), shows up on his door step when CGI waves and stock footage begin destroying the coasts of Latin America.  A team of scientists is assembled, one of which is so obviously the master mind behind this it makes you roll your eyes, to find out the cause.  Everybody has a chip on their shoulder that they and want to use to crush poor Corbin, who is quickly framed for the killer waves squirting water all over the extras and cheap sets.  Will anybody believe him?  Will anybody care?

1 slime, it made me giggle.

Aiport '77 (1977 - duh)

Whole bunch of actors get trapped in a shoddy script underwater in the Bermuda Triangle.  Jerry Jameson directs this like a tele-movie (considering he was predominantly a tele-movie director, Hurricane and Starflight: The Plane the Couldn't Land, et al, it isn't all that surprising) and everyone acts really professionally.  The supporting cast alone makes this a must see...you got Darren McGavin (Kolchak!), Christopher Lee (Dracula, et al), M. Emmet Walsh, Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers himself!), Robert Foxworth (Prophecy), Jospeh Cotton (Baron Blood, oh yeah and Citizen Kane), Olivia DeHavilland (The Swarm) and Lee Grant (The Swarm).  The matte painting effects by Albert Whitlock are impeccable (as always) and the movie looks like Universal spent a huge wad, the production design Oscar nomination was deserved in this instance.  Sadly some of the underwater stuff looks like it was shot in somebody's green painted swimming pool, you can see the wall behind some of the survivors while they swim, or float, to the surface (hehehehe).  On the whole it's another fine disaster epic worth seeing for those of us who love them.  3 slimes (not great but worth a Saturday afternoon most definitely).

So it goes
FLANGEPART
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 01:41:27 PM »

Wasen't Jimmy Stewart in that one too,and i think, Jack Lemmon? A 747 sinks after a hijacking, and the Navy gets to play "Grey lady down" with it? my,god,what a weird one.
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 02:07:57 PM »

Yup, they were in it.  James "Jimmy" Stewart had a real "working retirement" role - just stand there and look worried.  That's it.  Jack Lemmon was the heroic pilot that got to rescue everybody and be the hero, he did a good job with the part.

And a side bar - George Kennedy as "Joe Patroni" (the only recurring character in all four Airport movies) was so blatantly written in at the last minute you could see the staples and tape holding him in place on the screen.
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2001, 12:54:00 AM »

I'm coming in late on this one. "Airport '77" director Jerry Jameson has a resume of horrifying failure, many involving airplanes or water. He gave us the MST3K victim "It Lives By Night," as well as the monstrous crime against society "Raise The Titanic!," aside from the ones Chadzilla mentioned. Check out his profile at imdb.com and prepare to start screaming. (David Lowell Rich, director of "The Concorde--AIrport '79," gave us "SST: DeathFlight" and the Three Stooges' "Have Rocket Will Travel," and "Airport 1975" director Jack Smight also directed that cinematic wart "Damnation Alley." They all have impressive profiles like Jerry's. HOLLYWOOD: GET A DAMN CLUE.)

In the two years between "Airport '77" and "Airport '79," Joe Patroni, at age one-hundred-and-three or so, goes from being an airline mechanic to being qualified to fly a mach-two passenger jet.

Cough.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Return of Stuff I Seen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.