Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:33:16 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Angry Red Planet *** « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Angry Red Planet ***  (Read 9396 times)
Scott
« on: May 08, 2001, 01:00:22 PM »

ANGRY RED PLANET  is a pretty good production for AIP. Its a neat little film till they land on the planet then the film is a little distracting with the long red tinted scenes, that become annoying quick. The rat bat monster was really wacky and the sonic gun they use is about as dangerous has the creature its used on. The ameba with the spinning eye was weird. How about the way the spacecraft landed, could you image that? The movie also has some odd ball characters. The male lead is trying to be Humphrey Bogart or something, the other guy is trying to be a mix between Abbott and Costello and Curly of the Three Stooges, while the pipe smoking guy with the little beard resembles Dr. Smith(i'm guessing that Angry Red Planet came before Lost in Space). Then at the end they play some jazzy 60 tv series music while they reintroduce the cast of the ship.

I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars for giving me something weird to watch today.
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2001, 03:56:47 PM »

The Bat-Rat-Spider is one of my favorite movie monsters of all time, even if he is a barely mobile marionette.  He's so neat looking!

Sam's freeze-ray gun has always baffled me.  Considering our observations of its use, how is it more effective than a good .50 caliber rifle?  Shooting yourself in the foot would suck by the way.

Andrew
The BrainMeister
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2001, 06:20:12 PM »

A great book by Robert Skotak is in print, detailing the life and career of Ib J. Melchior, the man behind A.R.P. as well as Robinson Crusoe on Mars, The Time Travelers, Reptilicus, and many others.   There's quite a bit in the book about the making of Angry Red Planet. Most highly recommended reading for anyone into 60s low-budget sci-fi film.  Mucho behind-the-scnes info.

Melchior incidentally was the original creator of the tv series, Lost in Space, until it was lifted from him. That has also been written about in various places.

Kevin
Josh Leman
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2001, 10:47:52 PM »

Angry Red Planet is a pretty good B-movie.  I especially like the Martian jungle foliage that's obviously a DRAWING!!  Guys, that red filter crap doesn't hide the fact that you had to DRAW your scenery...
The BrainMeister
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2001, 02:52:03 AM »

There was a reason for all of that "drawn" scenery. All of the Mars scenes were to be processed through an optical effects technique called "Cinemagic" that didn't quite come off.  If it had, things wouldn't have looked so blatantly hand-drawn.  Kinda like the supposed live-action computer scenes in "Tron" that didn't look right.  :)
Matthew.G.A
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2001, 11:15:01 PM »

I likes the second half of this movie! The first half was boring as heck! The Mars scene was cool to me because it was different!  Now the "Bat Rat Spider" was awesome! I believe the tint effect added to it! The scene where they saw the Martian City across the Martian Lake was good too! The most chilling was the Martian warning at the end! "remember, when this film came out Mars and space was a mystery to us"
What was funny was that character named Sam! The guy who was in love with that freese gun! The qualifications for a flight crew must have been lax! This guy came off as illiterate as heck! He would be better cast in one of those prison movies about alcatraz! All I know he loved to shoot everything he saw!
Also Ive seen variations of the "Bat Rat Spider" in other films as well! One time !remember a variation in a old "Lost In Space "Episode!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

I watched this film for the first time in many years today....and it was as sad and fun as I remembered it to be. Cheesy special effects,really goofy dialog at times....and of course the rat/bat/spider. Classic!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

Its on my to do llist for this weekend.  Glad I won't be disappointed! Pure red cheese

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »

I really REALLY like ANGRY RED PLANET.

The monsters are very surreal...and the red filters are amazingly effective-it's like they walked into an LSD dream.
...but of course-it's all " IN CINA-MAGIC."

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

I like this one a lot too.  I haven't watched it in a few years, but after reading this thread, I want to watch it again this month.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »

Fun film!  I remember the guy being dissolved by the giant amoeba is pretty horrific.  Sort of jumps out at your after all the close-calls that they survived earlier between the Rat-Bat-Spider and the man-eating plant.

It's also a favorite example of people wandering right up to flora that is obviously a man-eating plant, and then being surprised when it tries to eat them.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

It's also a favorite example of people wandering right up to flora that is obviously a man-eating plant, and then being surprised when it tries to eat them.

LOL...I noticed that,too. BounceGiggle

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »

I don't think I've seen this movie since the early or mid 1970s when you could spend an entire Saturday watching schlock like this on local TV stations.  I'm getting emotional . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »

You can put me down as another person who enjoyed it, even though it is Grade Z schlock, but what separates the schlock of yesterday from the schlock of today is that yesterday's schlock normally had actors who knew how to act. If you look at the cast from this film: Gerald Mohr, Naura Hayden, Les Tremayne, Jack Kruschen, etc. Those are some fairly talented actors.

And yes, "Angry Red Planet" came some 6 years, before the TV series "Lost in Space."
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:33 AM »

I've always gotten a kick out of this one.  "Irish/Iris" seemed to spend most of her time either screaming or crying, and the special effects were a hoot!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Angry Red Planet *** « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.