Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:17:15 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors who arent that great « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Actors who arent that great  (Read 7503 times)
Evan3
« on: November 10, 2002, 05:22:38 PM »

Sometimes, I think some actors are just not that good, sometimnes they have one good role and so critics and people both say they are great no matter what. Sure some actors are almost always good and two of the consistently great ones have the name Tom (Cruise and Hanks). However, here are three who I think are always overrated.

1) Jaoquin Phoenix- Really Good, not great, in Gladiator. Quills was awful and crazy and he acted like he was too. I thought he was the comedic relief in Signs and his character really showed no talent or growth and was the weakest link of that movie.

2) Haley Joel Osmet- Look, what has he done since the Sixth Sense. I mean was he acting in that movie or was he really scared. Since that movie he has been in two great busts (A.I. and Pay it Forward, neither in which he turned in a great performance.) Also, I dont think having big eyes and a look of amazement can overcompensate for very breathy acting (does anyone else notice that he likes to hyperventalate in all of his movies?) I think that the kid from Gladiator and Unbreakable is a better actor and thought the boy from the Ring did a better job too.

3. Halle Berry- Look, I think she is O.K., but not great. All she did in Monster's Ball was cry a lot. I dont think being a good weeper means you are a good actress. Plus, she does she have to take off her shirt in everything (Swordfish, Monster's Ball, and soon in James Bond). I can see X-Men 2 (in which she plays the mutant Storm). " I call on the power of the wind to..... Oh my shirt blew off!!!

So do you have any additions or disagreements.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 05:50:34 PM »

Haley Joel Osmet- Look, what has he done since the Sixth Sense

Again, that was only three years ago and the kid is now only fourteen years old.  In ten or twenty years when he's grown up and established himself, or not, as an actor and individual, then you can start ragging on him as an over-hyped, no-talent if that's how he ends up.

I think most actors have gone through three or four  year stretches of one good movie and two bad.  That's simply too small a sample in a person's career to make such assessments, especially at his age

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 07:27:13 PM »

It seems that a person's ability to cry is often confused with talent. Very rarely will the Oscar for Best Actor/Actress go to a performance  that didn't involve crying.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Deena
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 08:03:29 PM »

I've always hated Julia Roberts.  That buck toothed, big mouthed no talent annoying laughing dork!  She gets on my nerves to no end.

Deena

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 11:17:50 PM »

I always loved that commercial of the white duck yelling "Afleck". If that duck is anywhere releated to Ben Afleck, I have to say the duck is sure a better actor than Ben. Sorry, just a stupid joke I thought of.

Seriously, I don't see what is so great about this dude. He might have a handsome face, but his acting skills range from crude to just downright bad. I live near Chicago and local radio Steve Dahl said it best about Afleck, "We saw you in PEARL HARBOR, it wasn't that great". Perfectly describes Afleck.
Creepozoid
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 12:05:06 AM »

Chris K. wrote:
>
> I always loved that commercial of the white duck yelling
> "Afleck". If that duck is anywhere releated to Ben Afleck, I
> have to say the duck is sure a better actor than Ben. Sorry,
> just a stupid joke I thought of.
>
> Seriously, I don't see what is so great about this dude. He
> might have a handsome face, but his acting skills range from
> crude to just downright bad. I live near Chicago and local
> radio Steve Dahl said it best about Afleck, "We saw you in
> PEARL HARBOR, it wasn't that great". Perfectly describes
> Afleck.

Amen. They used that joke in MAD once in their spoof of SUM OF ALL FEARS.
Creepozoid
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 12:07:36 AM »

Evan3 wrote:
>
> Sometimes, I think some actors are just not that good,
> sometimnes they have one good role and so critics and people
> both say they are great no matter what. Sure some actors are
> almost always good and two of the consistently great ones
> have the name Tom (Cruise and Hanks). However, here are three
> who I think are always overrated.
>
> 1) Jaoquin Phoenix- Really Good, not great, in Gladiator.
> Quills was awful and crazy and he acted like he was too. I
> thought he was the comedic relief in Signs and his character
> really showed no talent or growth and was the weakest link of
> that movie.
>
> 2) Haley Joel Osmet- Look, what has he done since the Sixth
> Sense. I mean was he acting in that movie or was he really
> scared. Since that movie he has been in two great busts (A.I.
> and Pay it Forward, neither in which he turned in a great
> performance.) Also, I dont think having big eyes and a look
> of amazement can overcompensate for very breathy acting (does
> anyone else notice that he likes to hyperventalate in all of
> his movies?) I think that the kid from Gladiator and
> Unbreakable is a better actor and thought the boy from the
> Ring did a better job too.
>
> 3. Halle Berry- Look, I think she is O.K., but not great. All
> she did in Monster's Ball was cry a lot. I dont think being a
> good weeper means you are a good actress. Plus, she does she
> have to take off her shirt in everything (Swordfish,
> Monster's Ball, and soon in James Bond). I can see X-Men 2
> (in which she plays the mutant Storm). " I call on the power
> of the wind to..... Oh my shirt blew off!!!
>
> So do you have any additions or disagreements.

I disagree on Osment (even if he is a one-hit wonder). I agree pefectly about Berry. She is painful to watch and listen to. Everyone says she's hot, what a crappy world we live in.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 12:49:57 AM »

<>

Aaaaaaamen. She's not an actress, she's a movie star. An obnoxious, not overly bright media darling. When she said, "I love my life," before giving Denzel Washington his Oscar I wanted to kick her horse face. Others in this category include Sharon Stone, Charlize Theron (whose ability to appear in over eighty movies a year I admire), Ben Affleck and Vin Diesel.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 12:59:46 AM »

Alec Baldwin:  I have seen him perform well in a movie exactly ONCE - the arrogant egomaniac in "Malice".  I will give him credit for some hilarious stuff on SNL, but generally he strikes me as some sort of throwback to the 30s or 40s - back before actors were supposed to ACT.  His brothers don't even merit consideration.

Neve Campbell - Can anyone tell me why this weepy, whiny little wretch has a career?  She isn't even at least good looking.   I swear she has them write a crying scene into all her shows and movies because it's all she can do.

Nicholas Cage - He's done some decent work, but it is all wiped clean by the one flight simulator scene in "Firebirds".  He also makes way too much dreck.  And Oscar my ass -- Penn was robbed that year.

Sharon Stone - Just watch "Quick and the Dead" some time.  She couldn't act her way into a MacDonalds bathroom without ordering something.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 01:03:01 AM »

J-Lo

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Evan3
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 02:52:38 PM »

Well, time will tell with Osmet... I just dont think he has done anything great yet to even merit that he might be great later.  Also, as I said, there are better actors his age out there
Someone else mentioned Vin Diesel, I must agree, after Pitch Black his movies have been eXXXtremely horrible. He just isnt as good an action star as say Arnold or Stallone or Snipes or hell, even (gratuitous comparison) Carrot Top could pull off the stuff he does with more excitement (imagine carrot top in a car with tons of Nitrous Oxide, hehehehehe).

But another two to add to the list are Kate Hudson (Almost Famous was Almost a decent movie) and Eddie Murphy. Seriously, that guy is only funny in one out of 10 attemots, I would take Chris Rock, the dude from Rush Hour, or someone with class like Bill Cosby over Eddie Murphy any day.
raj
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2002, 03:52:00 PM »

Hell, I'll jump on the "I Hate Julia Roberts" bandwagon.

And throw in Steven Segal to boot, not from his movies (I have not seen any of his flicks) but because he's just an incredibly arrogant jerk.
raj
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2002, 04:24:11 PM »

Eddie was good on SNL, the first funny guy ouside of the original cast.  His early movie career was fine, Trading Places, 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop.

Then I guess he got more focused on giving rides to transvestite hookers, and less on his movies.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2002, 04:46:47 PM »

raj wrote:
>
> Hell, I'll jump on the "I Hate Julia Roberts" bandwagon.
>
> And throw in Steven Segal to boot, not from his movies (I
> have not seen any of his flicks) but because he's just an
> incredibly arrogant jerk.

Agreed on both counts.

Having seen some of Segal's flicks, I can also assure you that his arrogant jerkiness is not reserved for his private life. Ken, over at jabootu.com, has a nice review of On Deadly Ground that says it better than I could.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2002, 05:10:31 PM »

Agreed.  Trading Places is one of the five funniest movies I have ever seen.  But something happened to Murphy at the end of the 80s.  He pretty much stopped being funny with the notable exception of Bowfinger.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors who arent that great « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.