Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:22:21 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coolest Guns « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Coolest Guns  (Read 19274 times)
raj
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2002, 05:58:51 PM »

Yeah, I thought about that gun, but it just seemed too ostentatious for me.
The Walther is much nicer.  Of course, I'd love to have a Luger (shown in many a movie)

As for phasers, to me they just seem too perfect, though in Enterprise the crew is a bit wary of the new fangled things.  Nice touch.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2002, 06:05:45 PM »

Phasers are crap. They look like somewhat less threatening stun guns in TNG and DS9, and hot glue guns in the original seres.. And they're pretty inefficient. They fire a long, extended beam. What, the Federation couldn't come up with single-shot or automatic weapons?

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2002, 07:42:16 PM »

J.R. wrote:
> What, the Federation couldn't come up with
> single-shot or automatic weapons?

Funny that Star Trek showed virtually no projectile weapons in the future, at least not in the hands of any advanced cultures. I suppose it looks more "futuristic" to have the Federation use nothing but ray guns, but there are surely some applications for a weapon that shoots bullets or explosive shells.

There also seems to be some thinking that beam weapons are less violent, or at least less realistically violent, than projectile weapons. I think that's why all the rifles on GI Joe shot laser beams, even if the shooter had a couple of bandoliers full of bullets.

Great comment about the hot glue gun, and I agree that the TNG phasers are hardly threatening, with their ergonomic design, soft beam and wussy sound effect. Looks like it would tickle. I still think the phasers in Wrath of Khan were cool, even if the others weren't

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2002, 08:18:27 PM »

BlackAngel wrote:
>
> Hey, Andrew.  Would you belive I thew a granade but forgot to
> pull the pin?

Hey, Joey did that in Deep Rising.

"PULL THE PIN?  YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PULLING THE PIN!  WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME TO PULL THE PIN!?!"

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2002, 09:05:45 PM »

Laser beams are always used in kids' action shows, because apparently they're less violent than normal guns. Like in the Spider-Man cartoon from the 90's. Everything's the same but the cops and crooks have super laser guns. It's like it's set in the future but the only thing that has progressed is gun technology. But, as every little boy knows, guns and violence are cool.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Evan3
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2002, 11:10:56 PM »

How about that, I guess you would call it a pulse gun, in Minority Report that Cruise uses to blast people backwards. That was sweet. Almost as cool as the sick sticks.

And The Preadator had that cool laser guided exploding razor gun, which was cool.
Redcell
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2002, 11:20:56 PM »

The gun used in the movie " The Dogs Of War"
AndyC
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2002, 12:35:43 AM »

When you think about it, a laser really wouldn't be an effective weapon, even if one could be built that was both compact and powerful. I mean, it's going to bounce right off reflective surfaces, and be less effective on light-coloured targets. Rain, snow, smoke and fog will all diminish its effectiveness. All that aside, when it does hit a target, it burns a clean hole right through. In the case of a human target, it would even cauterize the wound. No shock to blow the target apart, no loss of blood. Unless you hit just the right spot, it wouldn't be much good. Or you could put it on a steady beam and move it around, cutting pieces off your foe. Of course, the laser pistols in movies and on TV aren't used that way.

Phasers seem to be a different animal altogether, in that the energy spreads through the target to some degree. Anybody ever hear an explanation of how that was supposed to work?
ahab
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2002, 03:32:54 AM »

Silencers do not  make that cool movie noise. One of my friends dads has a gun shop and a license for class 3 items. a silencer will reduce the noise of a gunshot but not entirely. the lower the caliber the less noise generally. small caliber guns will sound like a soft clap and larger caliber will sound like a loud clap. if i am wrong someone correct me as i said i only have a limited experience with suppressors.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2002, 04:57:42 AM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> Grenades are pretty simple.
>
> Well, mechanically yeah, but I have no idea what the effect
> would be.  How big a boom, how loud?  How long, really?

By the book, it will kill more than half the people within 5 meters and wound more than half within 15 meters.  Despite the attempts of some nervous young Marines, I have managed not to test that out.  I can say that the fragments will put up to 1 inch deep furrows in cinder block, toss old tires twenty or so feet, and completely destroy a snowman.  We, ah, built snowmen (yes, it was my idea) and then shot grenades at them from M203 launchers once.  Oh, the carnage...

> Shotguns, too.  I really don't know what they're effective
> range is, or what something looks like when shot by one
> (whether a human or drywall) or...really anything about what
> shooting one entails as far as the results.

Depends on the shot and the shotgun.  When shooting deer you are aiming near the shoulder.  Hit it with 00 buckshot from say 30 yards and it leaves a couple of holes in the deer.  You can stick a finger into each.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2002, 10:52:51 AM »

Good points, I suspect that's why the Star Wars storm troopers used white armor.  So why did they get shot so easily?

As for damage, if you get a laser shot to the torso, there probably will be damage to/ failure of a major organ or two.  That'll cause death in a few unpleasant minutes.
At least that's a rationalization I can accept.
AndyC wrote:
>
> When you think about it, a laser really wouldn't be an
> effective weapon, even if one could be built that was both
> compact and powerful. I mean, it's going to bounce right off
> reflective surfaces, and be less effective on light-coloured
> targets. Rain, snow, smoke and fog will all diminish its
> effectiveness. All that aside, when it does hit a target, it
> burns a clean hole right through. In the case of a human
> target, it would even cauterize the wound. No shock to blow
> the target apart, no loss of blood. Unless you hit just the
> right spot, it wouldn't be much good. Or you could put it on
> a steady beam and move it around, cutting pieces off your
> foe. Of course, the laser pistols in movies and on TV aren't
> used that way.
>
Fearless Freep

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2002, 10:56:58 AM »

I always thought spaceships should be all chromed up, for that reason

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2002, 03:22:30 PM »

Any energy wepon with high thermal output, like a power rifle (Hammers Slammers< for example), could flash boil the water content of a human/animal body. The fast boiling of tissue to the side of the beam path, and the resaultant shock effect to the system, would put you down NOW!.
....Not a nice image to ponder......

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2002, 04:15:55 PM »

Good points, I suspect that's why the Star Wars storm troopers used white armor. So why did they get shot so easily?
*****  The best way to deflect a laser would be with mirror armor, not white.  Nevertheless, they WERE NOT LASERS, they were "blasters."  At no point did anyone in Star Wars ever call those guns (picture Dr. Evil doing air quotes) "lasers."  Blasters fired visible bolts that you could track from muzzle to target with your eye... a laser would fire a bolt at the speed of light, which would drop the stormtrooper or blow up the X-wing as soon as you squeezed the trigger with no perceptable time between.  We must therefore assume that blasters fired some other form of energy bolt.  Plasma maybe?

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
raj
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2002, 04:28:49 PM »

OK, but whatever they were, they didn't really seem to help the storm troopers all that much.  (And don't get me started on the damned Ewoks)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coolest Guns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.