Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:32 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 script « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plan 9 script  (Read 4086 times)
Fritz
« on: May 09, 2001, 08:01:04 PM »

Could anyone help me with a problem I've been having (not the infection again), I'm trying to locate an online version of the Plan 9 from outer space script.

Any input will be much appreciated
Scott Davis
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2001, 08:08:22 PM »

I'd say try Drew's Script-o-Rama, but the site doesn't appear to be up anymore.
Andrew
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2001, 02:19:40 AM »

I found one here:

http://blake.prohosting.com/horrorsu/scripts/criswell.txt

And Script Crawler has to listed under "P:"
http://www.scriptcrawler.net/cgi-bin/scripts.pl?search=&alpha=p&script=movie

(Though one is a Microsoft Word document.  If you have MS Word installed please use caution, as Word documents can contain a macro virus.  Egad I hate MS.)

Andrew
Brainmeister
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2001, 03:35:44 AM »

Both scripts ( "criswell.txt" and "plan9.doc") are unfortunately just transcripts of the movie.  I used to have a copy of the actual Plan 9 shooting script (on the front it said in big letters: GRAVE ROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE) and it had some interesting differences.  Criswell's narration wasn't in it, for one thing.  As I recall, the Bela Lugosi/Tom Mason character was referred to in the script as something silly like "Dracula guy" or something along those lines.   I wish I had managed to save the rather large collection of B-movie scripts I once had, but hey, life goes on.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2001, 05:08:53 AM »

I haven't really read any movie scripts, though I imagine quite a few of them are interesting.

What sticks with me is an interview with David Lynch on IFC.  During the audience questioning stage of the show one of the audience members proudly announced that he had a copy of the shooting script of some Lynch movie, probably BLUE VELVET.  David Lynch announced that they should probably throw away the script.  The fact being that, as far as movies go, it only matters what shows up in the actual movie itself.  He also made the better assertion that what shows up in the final cut, should be the judge of the final movie itself.

I agree with him, though I am far from a filmmaker.  But the fact that George Lucas went back and "improved" on his original movies is a cop out.  You can put out anything, and later go back and improve upon it and say this is what you meant, but what does that mean?  What does that mean when you originally released it?  Does it mean you were willing to put out a substandard product the first time?  That you always had time to improve upon it, and you were satisfied with less than the best?

Just think of how many times you've bought a computer game, only to find it buggy.  Later, after you bought it, they came out with patches for it.  Wouldn't you rather they had done it right the first time?  Or at least owned up to their imperfections?

I'm just saying that script is script and the film is the film.  All that matters, as far as the film is concerned, is what actually shows up on the film.  I remember reading a site that had a in-depth analysis of the beginning script to what actually ended up on film.  I think it's linked on this site, can anybody help me on what it was?  It was a low-budget horror film.

Sorry, off-topic, but this thread drew it out of me.  Go about your regular business.
Brainmeister
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2001, 05:30:33 AM »

As a one-time filmmaker, the fascinating thing about reading/studying scripts is seeing what changes were made during production. In a few cases, I had several drafts of scripts from certain films, and you could follow the changes - additions and deletions - from draft to draft.  In the case of original screenplays, the pages are printed on different color paper as they are added, and you can end up with a script that looks like a rainbow!  A good example from my experience of a film that changed a lot over the many months of script development was The Brain (see Andrew's review of the film and interview with me on this website).  In the first draft, the large-form Brain creature talked in a voice sounding like Sylvester Stallone!  Thank God, that was taken out.  So indeed, scripts and films are different animals, but one cannot make a film without a script of some sort.  (Well, you CAN, but it won't be worth watching...not that most films are worth watching anyway!) :)

Cheers,

Kevin
Fritz
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2001, 05:43:14 AM »

Cheers everyone.

I've got a few Script books myself, my favorite is the Clerks/Chasing Amy double released by Metrodome. It even has a Bluntman and Chronic mini-comic in the middle.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 script « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.