Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:44 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coolest Guns « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Coolest Guns  (Read 19276 times)
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2002, 04:51:50 PM »

The stormtroopers main disadvantage was not their vulnerability to the blasters, but rather their incompetence with firing them.  If the Empire had sunk one tenth as much into training as it did into gigantic planet-destroying space stations, they would have nipped quite a few problems in the bud and probably won the day.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
John
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2002, 08:24:40 PM »

>Just found my old DOOM II cd a few weeks back and played it through. That was
>a lot of fun,,

Any problems running it on modern systems? I have a Doom II CD a friend gave me, but I've never installed it. Figured it would probably play best with a joystick and I can't get mine to work in DOS programs.

>I'm often curious about how much we 'know' outside of our direct experience is
>really based on T.V and movies and it's *wrong*. I think a movie where
>characters try to do something based on 'common knowledge' cultivated from
>movies and it turns out reality doesn't work like that would be pretty funny.

Several years ago, there was an article in the news about someone who decided to try something he'd seen in a movie; he bashed someone in the head with a baseball bat. He later said that he was surprise that the guy didn't just collapse unconscious like in the movies, but rather fell down, grasped his bleeding head and started begging for mercy.

>Grenades are pretty simple. Flick off the thumb clip, pull the pin, get rid of it.

A quote I read or heard somewhere comes to mind; "After you pull the pin, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend."

>The movies get it all wrong. Grenades are meant to spread fragmentated bits of
>shrapnel,

I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I have this wrong, but it's my understanding that there are 'normal' grenades, which are the small, round smooth ones you see in most modern movies and fragmentation grenades, which are the 'pineapple' style shown in most WWII movies. I once read that the reason it was covered with little squares is so that those pieces would be blown apart by the blast and become shrapnel.

>Phasers seem to be a different animal altogether, in that the energy spreads
>through the target to some degree. Anybody ever hear an explanation of how
>that was supposed to work?

No, but I once had a catalog that claimed to have plans to build one. It claimed it would work just like it did in Star Trek and make the target vanish.

>The stormtroopers main disadvantage was not their vulnerability to the blasters,
>but rather their incompetence with firing them. If the Empire had sunk one tenth as
>much into training as it did into gigantic planet-destroying space stations, they
>would have nipped quite a few problems in the bud and probably won the day.

Not sure how accurate a game's information can be considered, but in Jedi Knight, Dark Forces II, the Stormtrooper rifle never hits where it's aimed. Considering the game was created by Lucasarts and Lucas seems to take pains to make their Star Wars games as accurate as possible, maybe this means that the reason they could never hit anything was because their weapons sucked.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2002, 08:53:12 PM »

Several years ago, there was an article in the news about someone who decided to try something he'd seen in a movie; he bashed someone in the head with a baseball bat. He later said that he was surprise that the guy didn't just collapse unconscious like in the movies, but rather fell down, grasped his bleeding head and started begging for mercy.

That's always intrigued me about hits with bats and bat-like objects.  I'm fairly certain there would be an extremely fine line between "bloody screaming mess" and "Dead", not the typical "Thwak, thump...he's down but he'll wake up with a headache" you often see

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2002, 09:15:15 PM »

"I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I have this wrong, but it's my understanding that there are 'normal' grenades, which are the small, round smooth ones you see in most modern movies and fragmentation grenades, which are the 'pineapple' style shown in most WWII movies. I once read that the reason it was covered with little squares is so that those pieces would be blown apart by the blast and become shrapnel."

Modern fragmentation grenades are the M67 type, which are the round, smooth ones you describe.  Basically, by my experience, modern grenades (for throwing) come in two shapes:  roundish and a canister (sort of like a soda can).

Found a website with a quick bit on it:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m67.htm

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2002, 10:39:58 PM »

That is one of the stupidest cliches I see in almost every other movie: One light knock to the bean and you're out cold. If human beings were really that fragile we would have become extinct a long time ago.

The troopers in Star Wars have a pretty inconsistant record. In Episode IV Obi Wan says the Jawas must have been killed by stormtroopers because everything was so precise. But whenever they're firing at the rebels they miss by a mile. Yet the clone troopers in Eisode II are pretty bad-ass.  And the Imperial blaster is innacurate in all the Jedi Knight games, including the outstanding Jedi Outcast. There's a great part in that game where you're sneaking around and you can hear the stormtrooper's conversations, and after recieving an order one guy says something like: "Stupid know-it-all. You try keeping an eye on things through this damn helmet!".

To qute Return Of The Living Dead- "It worked in the movie!"

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Flangepart

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2002, 03:27:18 PM »

Ohhh. Me like. Okey, everybody bookmark the link Andrew gave us. It will come in handy for future refrence.
....Regards Phasers: The original S T Spaceflight cronology defines a Phaser as a cross between a Particle Cannon, and a Laser. Combines the tight cutting ability of the laser, and the blast effect of the Particle bolt. Think "Armor Piercing high explosive" projectile.
....Am i the only one who sees hypocracy in the kid show substitution of lasers for regular guns? The Actress who played the princess in Star Wars pt 1 and 2, said something somewere about being pro-gun control. If she'd made the mistake , when called on the carpet for it by moi, and said maby" Yes, but those were just movie props", i'd have to say, "You diden't know they used real guns for the props?"
....Point is, the idea is the important thing. Laser guns don't exist? Yeah...so? You still shoot someone, and the fact its not a bullet, but energy in its purest state, does not remove the effect. A character gets blasted. Principle remains the same.
....Get used to it, Natalie. Its just more Hollywood Hypocracy.
....BTW, notice how well the M1928 .45 thompson smg deals with Borg? Picard should have ordered some for the big E's arsenal.
...."Set for stun!"....yeah, set for stun my galaxy spanning arse! Don't get me started on "Set for stun"..........

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2002, 03:39:55 PM »

....Get used to it, Natalie. Its just more Hollywood Hypocracy.

As a musician I've played a lot of songs that espouse opinions, ideologies, and lifestyles I don't neccessarily agree with.  It's just a gig, doesn't mean I support what the singer is singing; I'm just getting paid to fill a role and move on.

Actors just play roles.  A pro gun-control actor who plays the role of someone who shots a lot of people with a gun is just playing a role.  That's not him or her; it's not his or her personaility or words, why would it be his or her ideology in the head of the character.  I don't have a problem with them playing a part in a movie that has them shooting people up, and then coming out with a con-control stance.  If they can reconcile in their own lives the difference between their beliefs and the actions of the characters they play, that's fine with me.

=======================
ahab
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2002, 03:49:55 PM »

I wonder if George Lucas ever put this much thought into the physics of his Star Wars universe?

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2002, 04:07:02 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> Actors just play roles.  A pro gun-control actor who plays
> the role of someone who shots a lot of people with a gun is
> just playing a role.  That's not him or her; it's not his or
> her personaility or words, why would it be his or her
> ideology in the head of the character.  I don't have a
> problem with them playing a part in a movie that has them
> shooting people up, and then coming out with a con-control
> stance.  If they can reconcile in their own lives the
> difference between their beliefs and the actions of the
> characters they play, that's fine with me.
>

Danny Glover, who is an avowed pacifist, has starred in such violence saturated movies as Lethal Weapon 1 -4 and the blood soaked Predator 2.  Hypocrite?  Naw, working actor.  Then again, there are some who confuse fantasy and reality.

Max Von Sydow, an atheist, played the devout Father Merrin in The Exorcist.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Fearless Freep

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2002, 04:13:19 PM »

I wonder if George Lucas ever put this much thought into the physics of his Star Wars universe?

Nope, because Star Wars is not, nor was it intended to be, "Science-Fiction".  It's just a fantasy story and things like blasters and hyperspace and such are just devices for moving a story along.  They really don't matter much in their own right, and probably shouldn't be dwelled on.

Like the story of the Frog Prince, nobody really worries about Conservation of Matter. It is was it is and you accept the devices at face value because they really don't matter to the story.

If you spend too much time dwelling on it, you probably just get really annoyed at what 'wouldn't work'.

Teleporters in the old "Star Trek" just sort existed and not a lot of thought went into them; you take them as they are and move on.  The real problem for the STar Trek series was when non-sensical technology (like transportes and the holodeck) became important, became the focus and the plot of two many stories.  Then the non-sensicalness of the situation became painfully obvious.

Blasters don't have to work or be real or really do anything, as long as you don't rely on them to much for your story

=======================
BlackAngel
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2002, 09:28:57 PM »

I can't remember the name of the movie, it was in either the 70's or 80's but it was a cute gangster movie where kids were playing actual gangsters of the 1920's.  The kids were also using old school tommy guns, but instead of bullets, it shot out marshmellows or something like that.  What was that movie?
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2002, 04:11:40 AM »

<>

Bugsy Malone with Scott Baio and Jodie Foster, if memory serves. The guns shot whole cream pies.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
John
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2002, 07:13:53 AM »

>Modern fragmentation grenades are the M67 type,

Thanks for the info and the link.

>BTW, notice how well the M1928 .45 thompson smg deals with Borg? Picard
>should have ordered some for the big E's arsenal.

I thought the same thing. Of course it really doesn't make sense that it worked. Why would 'shields' only be effective against energy weapons? In the brig, they use force fields that can keep people in the cells (in other words, they can block physical matter), so why wouldn't the Borg design their shields that way. Supposedly they adapt to whatever is thrown at them and you have to figure that at least a few of the races they've encountered have been using projectile weapons. So they should have had shields that would block both energy and matter.

>Actors just play roles. A pro gun-control actor who plays the role of someone
>who shots a lot of people with a gun is just playing a role.

Michael Gross, AKA Bert in the Tremors movies is against guns in real life.
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2002, 07:28:10 AM »

Harley Stone's rotary-shotgun from Split Second, one of my favorite movies, and a damn fine gun.  The shoulder-mounted nuke-launchers in Starship Troopers were pretty cool, too.  And by Cthulhu, the bazookoids from Red Dwarf and any gun ever used in Doctor Who, too.  Who needs bullets when your guns have little flashy lights?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coolest Guns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.