Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:08:41 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy Returns (2001) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mummy Returns (2001)  (Read 4654 times)
Scott
« on: May 06, 2001, 09:33:17 AM »

Just seen the new THE MUMMY RETURNS movie. Well I had to race to the theater to make the 4:40 show Saturday for the mantinee price and had to find seating while the previews were starting, but I still don't think it affected my point of view of the film.

The movie has non-stop action and stars the same cast from the first one. They even had The Rock from the WWF in this one playing the Scorpion King, but the role had no diologue. The lead actor Brendan Frazier is a poor actor with bad screen presence, but who am I to judge?

With all the action the film still dosn't make it to the level of the INDIANA JONES movies. They don't cover the topic of archeology very good. Many time I wished they would have slowed the film down so they could make the action in the film have some more meaning. Also the fights (many) are a blur of movement without any technique or style.

I actually thought the first one was just a tad better than the second even though the critics seem to like the second better. The most important point about the film is that the younger audience seems to like this film. THE MUMMY RETURNS is an action movie with mummies and other CGI creatures.

I hear The Rock is going to star in the 3rd movie called THE SCORPION KING and that it might be out as soon as Dec. 2001.

Well, I still have to view my recording from AMC called THE MUMMY'S HAND.
chris
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2001, 02:15:05 AM »

Saw this one last night. Simply horrible but this is what I expected. Me and my friends were laughing our asses off over how inept this movie was. The computer generated Scorpion King is a hoot. This thing is completely CGI with the body of a scorpion and the head and torso of the Rock.It looks so fake. I was waiting for the animator to fall over die (ala Monty Python) to spare us from this computer generated horror. This movie is bad,bad,bad. The plot makes absolutely no sense. The movie is CGI overkill with horrible dialogue,no plot and no suspense.It also has a child actor that makes that kid who played Anakin in OPhantom Menace look like Sir Laurence Olivier. People clapped when it ended. I'm not sure if they were applauding the movie or applauding that it was over. I recall several people got up and left before the movie ended. I knew this was going to be bad but I had to experience it in the theater. We couldn't stop laughing at how bad it truly was. I don't know how much was spent on this one but it has to be more than the first. I guess they figured we have twice as much money so we can make it twice as bad as the first. Movies like this make me wonder that if the screenwriters really did go on strike would anybody notice. And these guys want more money to churn out this crap. Simply amazing....chris
Josh Leman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2001, 05:43:21 PM »

People clapped and even cheered when I saw it.  Simply appalling.

I think it's fair to say that every worthwhile mainstream narrative movie ever made has at least one moment when there's no music or special effects, and the camera is completely still for at least three seconds, without cutting to a different shot, while an actor is speaking.  This never happens in The Mummy Returns.  Not once.  It happened in the first movie every now and then, and that gave the effects/action sequences more resonance, more power.  But it doesn't happen one single time in the sequel.
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2001, 05:58:43 PM »

I'm pretty much waiting for the DVD myself.  My movie budget is never enough anyway, so allocating $8.00 toward a DVD I'll own forever is usually my best choice.  Planning on seeing "Lord of the Rings" in the theater though.

The 1999 version of "The Mummy" was enjoyable to me.  I try to have no expectations when going to see a movie, but honestly had poor ones for it and was pleased to be caught off guard.

Andrew
the tad
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2001, 01:48:00 AM »

i definitely agree with chris about how ridiculous the scorpion king was...i think everyone in the theater (except the die-hard wwf fans) was laughing their asses off...this is one of the few movie i've seen that actually made me sick at my stomach to watch because it was so terrible...i love bad movies, but this was just ridiculous...the little kid was atrocious...all those lines that were supposed to be funny made me want to choke him...i could rant all night about this movie but i'm not going to devote any more of my time to it...bad movie...bad, bad, bad, bad movie...i'd rather watch the cave dwellers
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2001, 11:31:22 AM »

This movie has got the title of Box Office champ of the weekend, and should probably make the movie of the summer list. There was not a single dull moment in the entire picture. In fact, I would say that the MUMMY RETURNS was far superior to the original, in terms of action packed thrills. I wish the ROCK had had more than 8 minutes of screen time, as his character of the Scorpion King was the highlight of the movie, but the third film should showcase his talent more. The best time I had at the movies.
Gerry
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2001, 03:57:47 PM »

The Mummy Returns was truly a bad film, but a very enjoyable bad film.  It's quite amazing how well it's performing at the box office, but I think that's entirely due to timing.  If you think about it, there hasn't been a decent good action film in month.  The last one being Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and that one wasn't even a traditional action film.  Face it, movie fans were drooling at the mouth for any action film.  Hats off to whoever in Hollywood got this thing into theaters the first week of May.  If they had waited until July I predict it wouldn't have done nearly as well going against the rest of the summer titans like Jurassic Park III and A.I.

The effects were terrible, far inferior to the previous film.  The plot was ridiculous.  Okay, think about this for a second.  Why oh why did the 12 tribes of the maji (or whatever) go to battle against the army of Anubis?  What were they defending?  They were out in the middle of the desert for crying out loud!  So basically they killed off 90% of their warriors for nothing!  They could have a least waited for a couple of weeks at the nearest city and waited for the Army of Anubis to show up their before making their last stand.  By then it would have all been over.  And that is just one example of a plot hole.

All that said, I did have a good time.  Hell, I'm as starved for a good summer movie as the next guy!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy Returns (2001) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.