Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:23:55 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAREDEVIL LOOKS SILLY « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DAREDEVIL LOOKS SILLY  (Read 5452 times)
Tommy
« on: November 15, 2002, 01:00:03 PM »

DAREDEVIL LOOKS SILLY
by Tommy

I just saw the trailer for Daredevil out of curiosity.  I noticed that Ben Afleck looks buff on the promotion, but on screen he makes Tobey Maguire look like Arnold.  The costume looks cheesy like cheap leather a hooker would wear.  I also see a sappy and predictable love story between Ben and Jennifer Garner (Electra, I assume).  The action sequences on the trailer probably represent the bulk of excitement, which isn’t saying much.  Needless to say, curiosity killed the cat.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 02:33:37 PM »

I heard that the "Kingpin" is played by a black guy in this upcoming film.

What the hell!!??

I swear, Hollywood should let me be at the helm.

I wouldn't let ANY of you down!

Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 03:19:07 PM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:
>
> I heard that the "Kingpin" is played by a black guy in this
> upcoming film.
>
>

I think that's Michael Clarke Duncan of The Green Mile and Burton's Planet of the Apes fame.

Not much of an issue with me, if that actor can bring across the character, that's fine with me.

Speaking of Race in Comic Book movies, anybody notice that, according to Spiderman, there are no minorities in New York?  Save for a few adminitrative asssitants, that is.

There was the gal at the Wrestling match that Peter talked to, maybe one of the ringside girls, and then the guy in JJJ's office and, I think, and that was pretty much it.  Mmmmm, thoughts?

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 03:49:05 PM »

Mmmmm, thoughts?

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a city with a population close to 600K.  Even in a city of that size (small by New York standards), we have parts of town where you will see no hispanics, and part where you see almost no gringos, and parts where you have a good mix.  Nothing racial about it, it just sorta is that way.  I wouldn't be surprised in a large city to have pockets of a city of exclusively one group or another.  It doesn't have to be racially oriented to have a movie set in New York with no minorities present.  (That being said, I've never been to New York so I don't know how likely that is to happen)

However, as I briefly mentioned  elsewhere, there does seem to be a high degree of profiling in Hollywood and a fair number of situations where you'll only see a minority actor if a minority part is called for.  Denzel Washington in "Fallen" could've been anybody and the put a black actor in the role because he's a really good actor, but the role itself didn't really call for a black actor.  Samual Jackson, on the other hand, while a really good actor himself, tends to end up in a lot of "black" roles where if not for him it would've been another black actor.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 06:05:53 PM »

*****  Agreed on Duncan.  I think he's a good actor and I look forward to him playing a bad guy.  A guy like him (meaning his size) has a serious danger of being typecast and it's good to see him get a chance at a different kind of role.

There was the gal at the Wrestling match that Peter talked to, maybe one of the ringside girls, and then the guy in JJJ's office and, I think, and that was pretty much it. Mmmmm, thoughts?
*****  I grew up just outside NYC and lived in the Bronx for two years.  I've spent serious time in every borough except Staten Island.  If you are in NYC and you cannot see a non-white person from where you sit or stand, then you are indoors, and probably in a private residence.  Never read the comic book but it sounds pretty inaccurate.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 06:20:32 PM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:
>
> I heard that the "Kingpin" is played by a black guy in this
> upcoming film.
>
>

Hey, if the X-Mens' suits can be black so can Kingpin. Name me a white guy big enough with enough presence to play the KP. Ben Affleck as The Man Without Fear, however, I take issue with. I could probably give you a list of 50 guys more appropriate for the role.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 06:30:33 PM »

Name me a white guy big enough with enough presence to play the KP.

*****  It's my understanding this is a mafia-type guy.  Tony Soprano?  Probably not available.

Dano
Chon
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 07:08:33 PM »

Name me a white guy big enough with enough presence to play the KP.
******Thats easy! Brando! Marlon Brando!
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 07:53:25 PM »

James Gandolfini's not big enough and Brando's too old. And he'd probably play the part seminude and use a weird accent and cover his face in olive oil.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
BlackAngel
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2002, 10:13:21 PM »

On Michael Duncan Clark, I agree more with Ash in regarding what comic and more specificlly Daredevil fans have been reading for years, and not race.  Granted, MDC is a good actor and probably can play a villain with ease, but I thought it would be believeable if the Kingpin was portrayed as he is: a very fat, yet very strong white man.  If die hard fans of the book knew nothing of the movie existence except on that day they do go and see it, and see that the Kingpin is played by a black guy, those fans would be like (and, I quote Ash) "What the hell...?"  It's like seeing D.D. in those wussy black tights in that Hulk telemovie.  I did have an idea on who to play Kingpin, but the movie would be in the bargain bin 2 days after it debuts (even without Afflecks help) and that man would have been King Kong Bundy.  But maybe Jon Voight  or Jack Nickolson in big, very big make-up would have played the part.  I like Michael Duncun Clark,  but I don't think he was a good choice. ( And this post is from a black guy too)
---------------------------------------------------
And may the Schwarts be with you.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2002, 10:37:30 PM »

I apologize if my previous post on this thread sounded racist.

That was not my intention.

I should've added more info to it then it wouldn't have sounded so bad.

Blackangel hit the nail on the head for me.  

What I meant is that Hollywood always has to fiddle and change and mess with things that have been around for years to their liking.

They can never leave it it just like it is.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2002, 11:40:12 PM »

Actually, Brando would probably show up for the shoot weighing 165 pounds with long hair and daisies tatooed all over his face.  Has anyone seen an interview with him lately?  He is one f**ked up wacky dude.

Dano
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 04:08:05 AM »

I just saw the trailer and it certainly doesn't make the movie look very good.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Bmeansgood
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2002, 01:16:07 PM »

I have a feeling this movie (even with the high profile actors)was destined to go straight to video but after the money made with Spiderman they decided to release it in the theatres.

I will probably be foolish enough to see it in the theatre.  If nothing else to give my endorsement to Comic book movies.
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 01:31:08 PM »

Kingpin is white, so choose a white actor, for the sake of accuracy. As far as acting ability, MDC is fine. Its just i like consistancy in a well known character and his/her pals. Why Not?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAREDEVIL LOOKS SILLY « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.