Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:00:31 PM
714218 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Makeup effects « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Makeup effects  (Read 1118 times)
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 17, 2002, 07:49:36 PM »

Good makeup effects are cool. There's just something about seeing something convincing made out of latex and other such materials that's much more...satisfying than something done with a computer. And then I began to wonder- How freaking amazing would makeup effects be today if CGI hadn't become the go-to tool for filmmakers? What are some of your favorite makeup effects and/or makeup-heavy films? Some of mine are The Thing, Day Of The Dead (weak film, but great Savini effects) and An American Werewolf In London.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 01:33:27 AM »

It's a trade off.  Rubber latex often looks, well, like a muppet.  CGI tends to lack weight and 'thickness', but most conventional techiques are less than convincing as well.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Luke B (aka Luke Bannon)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 12:46:57 PM »

Faves, eh? Gee, that's a difficult one, as there have been so many really convincing ones I have seen. Some of the monsters on Dr. Who had good make up effects, the basic make up of the possessed in the evil dead movies worked well too, and while it is obviously rubber I like Toxic Avenger's look.
Redjack
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 12:54:43 PM »

Good makeup effects i've seen lately include the ape makeup for the remake of Planet of the Apes,  I also liked the Morlock makeup in the remake of the Time Machine.    Unfortunately, good makeup couldn't save either movie.

CGI has its place, Lord of the Rings couldn't exist without extensive CGI.. fortunately they used the cgi where its strengths could be used fully.. Landscapes and backgrounds..   CGI doesnt do well when its forced to model living beings, it just looks like CGI.   Its all in knowing when to use the computer, and when to use an actor in costume that makes the difference.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 01:09:41 PM »

I'd think a proper balance of the two is best.
....Real effects for "Mass', with just enough CGI to "Sweeten the pot." Like the great Godzilla 94 suit (Personal fave.), with a 20% bulk reduction, and some CGI to fine tune his foot falls (add life to the toes, make them grip the ground better), and brighten up the Atomic breath, as they did in G-2000.
....Add some Rick Baker work to make the suit more flexable, and you have a G who can kick butt, and not bother takeing names. Sweet!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 05:45:15 PM »

I agree on CGI; while it can be cool when done right, I think its inherent flaw is that the human eye can subconsciously distinguish artificial movement from natural. Even with the lousiest rubber suit, one can concievably believe it's an actual monster, whereas, with CGI, there will always be a little nagging voice telling you it's fake.

Really, I think that's one of the main reasons the original Star Wars movies are so much better than the prequels: Everything looks REAL. All the droids in the Jawas' sandcrawler are rusty, grimy, and scuffed, plus they move like real, clunky machines. In the new movies, everything's just too slick.

As for my favorite makeup effects, I gotta go with the classics and say the films of Lon Chaney. That guy did whatever it took to alter his appearance, and it paid off big-time.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Makeup effects « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.