Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:22:12 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Faux fur is murder! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Faux fur is murder!  (Read 19399 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2002, 08:28:49 PM »

J.R. wrote:
>
>  
> I wonder, if an animal rights freak were dying of cancer,
> would they refuse treatment tested on animals?

The current president of PETA went on record saying "No, I would not."  She amended her comment that her life was not worth the suffering of an innocent animal.

>Or do tree
> huggers comprehend that their home is made of wood? There was
> this hippie that lived in a tree for two years, and when she
> came down she wrote a book. And we all know that paper is
> made of, everybody now- WOOD!!!!!!!
>
>

I remember her, she took a lot of flack for doing that.  But the book was printed on recycled paper, so she had a holier-than-thou cop out.

Awhile back there was another hippie that protested logging and did so by flashing her boobies at the truckers driving the logs out of the forest.  The truckers were more amused than annoyed.  But she got her picture in the paper and that drew attention to her cause, or to her.

Perhaps it's more about getting attention than actually acheiving any real goals.

As far as the harrassment of kids, a news reporter called them on it when the kids began crying and parents threatened the protestors.  The protestors didn't care, as far as they were concerned, the ends justified the means - an approach that is the surest way to make more enemies than supporters.

Then again, I think it's more about getting attention than actually raising real awareness.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2002, 08:39:14 PM »

Something I've always wondered about vegans: Do they breastfeed their children?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2002, 08:47:49 PM »

Mofo Rising wrote:
>
> Something I've always wondered about vegans: Do they
> breastfeed their children?

I'm sure they do.  It's natural, normal, and CONSENSUAL (an intelligent being is allowing it to happen as opposed to being forced to do it).  It also does not, in anyway, have a connection to ingesting meat or meat products.

"I'm a Fruitarian, we only eat fruit that has fallen from the tree."

"I'm a 5th level Vegan.  I only eat food that casts no shadow."

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
frannie
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2002, 08:57:01 PM »

in related silly hippie stories, there has been a rash of hippie deaths here around san francisco.  one was by santa cruz, i believe.  a guy climbed up into a tree to protest logging.  after living up there for a while i guess he decided safety wasn't a concern.  needless to say humans aren't designed to fall from trees like pine cones.

the second case was a pair of hippies protesting against possible war with iraq last month.  they probably should have paid more attention to where there bus was going (both were standing up through the escape hatches on a double decker).  a trip through a tunnel at least 25 mph and you have 2 hippies with flat heads.

that said dying in a stupid way while trying to make a point is not the best way to get your message across.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2002, 09:16:50 PM »

Mofo Rising wrote:
>
> Something I've always wondered about vegans: Do they
> breastfeed their children?

Yes. They breastfeed their children until they're 17.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Goon
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2002, 12:04:11 AM »

A few more thoughts.  There was a real case where a woman insisted that breastfeeding her eight year old was "Natural".  I'm sorry, but when the adult teeth start growing in, ya might just consider stopping.
      Humans are omnivores by nature, our teeth and digestive system can handle a huge variety of things as long as they are fairly simple.  As a result, we can Survive on just about anything.  Living comfortably on the other hand, does require a balance.
        Here's an idea:  a diet that consists entirely of foods generated without something having to die, plant or animal.  Milk, cheese, fruit, honey, eggs...  It might be an intoresting concept to try, though I wouldn't make it a lifelong thing.

----ooo-'U'-ooo------Kilroy was here.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2002, 02:04:58 AM »

A funny anecdote: At Sea World in San Diego, I was waiting on line to get in with my friend and his nieces.  There were protesters out front screaming bloody murder about the orca whales in the park (I can't say if they were PETA, another group, or random malcontents).  The kid in front of us (6 or 7 maybe) says to his dad: "Why are those people yelling about the whales?"  The father replies: "Because they don't want you to see them."

And people say parenting is a lost art.

Regarding our teeth:  molars are for grinding; incisors are for biting off pieces of fruit or cutting through thick stuff like carrots; canines are for defense.  It is my understanding that people, as animals, originally evolved as herbivores.  That said, meat eating obviously goes back to the stone age (see cave paintings), so enjoy!

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
John
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2002, 05:43:40 AM »

>There was a real case where a woman insisted that breastfeeding her eight
>year old was "Natural"

I think I saw her on some talk show a while back. I know I saw some woman who thought it was ok to keep on breastfeeding her boy long after he was old enough to carry on a conversation.

>Here's an idea: a diet that consists entirely of foods generated without
>something having to die, plant or animal. Milk, cheese, fruit, honey, eggs

Cross eggs off that list, the chicken embryos have to die in order for you to have eggs without little dead chickens in them.

One thing I've always wondered about the people who oppose the killing of animals for food; Is it ok with them if you eat an animal that dies of natural causes?
Jim H
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2002, 06:03:09 AM »

What's wrong with the VHEM?  I tend to agree with them...  I'd be extremely happy if for the next hundred years the population fell to around 100 million or so...   It's not like our species is going to live forever.  The longest realistic estimates give us a few million years...  

Just remember, the less people there are in the world, the better it is for the few who remain.
Jim H
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2002, 06:10:22 AM »

Remember though, they don't keep the dolphins, and it was seriously reducing their numbers.  They breed a lot slower then tuna do.  

PETA doesn't (as far as I've seen, they even have anti-fishing campaigns) put one animal over another, but most people (obviously) do.  I mean, the average person does value a human life over, say, a rat.  Most people value animals that are either 1.Smart, or 2.Cute.  Combine them both and you've got a winner!  Dolphins are high up there, easily among the smartest animals on earth, and pretty amusing and cute at the same time.  Heck, they're one of the very rare animals that have sex for more reasons then reproduction.

Probably my favorite PETA campaign was "Eat the whales!".  They actually had a legitimate point - people don't eat the whale meat (generally).  If you're gonna kill one of those increasingly rare creatures, might as well use the whole thing...
Jim H
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2002, 06:20:13 AM »

The key difference, at least in PETAs mind, between animal hunters and the slaughterhouse is pretty simple..  Animals in what are called "factory farms" are essentially in a state of torture and misery for their entire lives.  If you don't agree with that, you've never seen a factory farm.  The free range, more traditional farms are far better for the animals and the people the who eat the food.  It is pretty nauseating what they pump those animals full of, how they have constant infections, boils...  Puss, et al.

The gazelle at least was free before that, and the most likely reason it was killed was that it was, in someway, weaker then its comrades.  

"Every action we take does impact the environment, the only way not to pollute (even electric cars need power plants) is to not exist. "

It depends on what you count as pollution.  Do you consider any of the other animals on earth to be polluting?  If you do, then yes we can not live without polluting.  But do you consider people like the masai, nomadic herders, to be polluters?  Wipe out 6 billion people and we could live as hunter-gathers, or the earth could probably support a few billion traditional farmers, who don't pollute in the traditional sense.
Jim H
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2002, 06:23:33 AM »

"Humans are the greatest achievement of nature so far (as far as we know). No other species can build machines, cure diseases or leave the planet. I can't say I've seen any evidence that other species can even think abstractly."

I didn't realize nature was attempting to achieve something.  And humans are not a great achievement..  The fact that most of us think we are negates any possibility of it.  

We're at the exact same level of value as the diseases we've wiped out.
Jim H
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2002, 06:30:10 AM »

Your post reminded me of something.  I eat meat, and like it.  A lot...  But, ever since my mother got remarried..  This guy is insane.  They eat meat, almost always red, as the main course at every dinner.  Which is ridiculous, and considering their age and activity levels extremely unhealthy..  It worries me.  

Eating large amounts of meat at every meal is not what our bodies are intended to take.  We're meant to eat primarily grains, fruits and vegetables, with meat as basically a supplement.  To a certain extrent, I wish we were carnivores.  It'd make life a lot easier.  And imagine how interesting our society would be...
Jim H
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2002, 06:34:07 AM »

"I wonder, if an animal rights freak were dying of cancer, would they refuse treatment tested on animals?"

I've KNOWN people who've refused drugs that had been tested on animals, though the disease it was for was not like cancer - it could kill you, but more often then not didn't.  It did make the said disease last longer..  I can't quite remember what it was, as I didn't really know the person very well.  Both my sisters are vegetarians, and the one is a mildly active animal rights activist.
Jim H
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2002, 06:39:12 AM »

My favorite story, from someone on a message board..

PETA was having a protest that milk was sold in a school.  Yes, that milk was sold in a school.  You'd think they'd be trying to help animals that were in worse duress, but anyways.  They had people in cow suits, the whole bit, and were putting pins on all the kids that came by.  The guy who posted it, was walking his son into school, when one of the guys came up to put a pin on his kid.  He told him he would hit him if he touched his son, but he did it anyway.  So he punched the PETA guy in the face.  Of course, they all went crazy and ran and talked to a cop.  The cop pretty much said that was in the guys rights, so quit complaining and get a tissue for the bloody nose.  

I thought it was funny...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Faux fur is murder! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.