Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

<< < (2/3) > >>

Warren H.:
I grew up watching men in rubber suits, or stop-motion monsters, pounding the tar out of each other and  I loved it.  I didn't care how cheap they looked.  Kids these days, though, act like it's just awful if a movie doesn't have CGI (or an score featuring "today's hottest artists" or that damn effect where the camera spins around the actors for no reason or etc. etc.).  As far as I'm concerned, CGI looks more fake than a man in a suit ever will.

Apostic:
[T]he only thing "Beast" and "Godzilla" (real version) (and "The Giant Behemoth") have in common are city-destroying giant reptilian monsters born of nuclear bomb activity."

When somone once suggested that Gojira was derivative of Beast, I was offended.  I couldn't see it either.  (Heresy!)

But according to various sources, Gojira procucer Tomoyuki Tanaka got the idea for his movie from two things.  One was Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.  The other was the what happened to the crew of the fishing boat Fukuryu Maru when it got too close to a nuclear test detonation.   (It has also been suggested that the producer was influenced by King Kong (1933), but that's more aparent in the later movies he produced, when the Big G started going toe-to-toe with other big cirtters.  How much the filmmakers of Beast were influenced by Kong and The Lost World (1925) is another matter....)

Saying that Gojira borrowed from Beast should not imply shame.  Gojira, icon of elemental destruction, turned a pertty good profit on what it borrowed.  

But back to the matter at hand.  Rather than try to convince anyone of other similarities beyond the big radioactive monster premise, I'll recommend the following test.  Watch both Beast and Gojira back to back.

And if there's similarity to Behemoth or Reptilicus or DeanZilla or whatever, then it's not like Gojira was the only movie that borrowed from Beast.  Or from Gojira, which initially borrowed from Beast.

again, asbestos regards,

Apostc

Andrew K:
Maybe he was also inspired by It Came From Beneath the Sea, since the movie was originally supposed to be a giant octopus.

Apostic:
"Maybe he was also inspired by It Came From Beneath the Sea, since the movie was originally supposed to be a giant octopus"

I was thiinking that, too.  Would've made it's inclusion in DeanZilla awfully ironic.  But then I checked it out on the IMDB.  It Came came (no stutter) about a year after Gojira.

Heh, maybe It Came was borrowing from Gojira.  

Nah.

regards,

Apostic

Andrew K:
Thanks for the correction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page