Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:35:14 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japan Sinks! It does exist... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan Sinks! It does exist...  (Read 8288 times)
FLANGEPART
« on: February 23, 2001, 01:47:51 PM »

But,i can't even find the version with Pa Cartright as the U.S. Prez in it.I read about it, and did get to see a poor transmition of it once,the u.s. version,called TIDAL WAVE. I wish i could get a copy subtitled,and with the whole original story. From what i've read, its a good flick,though with a downer ending. Anyone else know about this film? I believe it was a TOHO product.
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 02:14:25 PM »

I remember seeing the poster for its butchered incarnation as Tidal Wave at the local theater when it came out.  Lorne Greene was the only western face in the boxes at the bottom, everybody else was Japanese.  It looked like a turkey, so I skipped it (what a fool I was at eleven years or so).

The only other thing I remember about was a quip Leonard Maltin made about it on Entertainment Tonight many moons ago.  A clip of a scene with a panicked crowd fighting its way through a barrier was shown and Maltin said "This isn't a scene from the movie, this is the audience at the theater showing it trying to get out."

Wasn't the original title The Submersion of Japan, or something like that.  Of course I would love to see it.  Anybody know if there exists a print?
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 04:41:30 PM »

You know, you might still find the recent paperback reprint of the original novel, as titled "Japan Sinks" (Sakyo Komatsu, Kodansha Books)--although the better translation of the Japanese title--"Nihon no Chinbotsu"--is "The Submersion of Japan" which refers to both the island country AND the national culture, as refugees from the doomed land are swallowed up by neighboring countries...

Weird but true: Announcement fliers for "Nihon no Chinbotsu Tsuzuki" ("The Submersion...Continued") were printed in a book of Toho fantasy-movie posters, but the supposedly SFX-free sequel never got made.

I will check for a subtitled version and report back here if I find one...

"Tidal Wave"--gyaaaaaaaaaaaah

Yes, it is a downer ending on many levels (SPOILER ALERT): The Prime Minister and Emperor "go down with the ship," the romatic-subplot's main character and his girl get separated in the evacuation, only to pass within mere feet of each other in a relocation center before being shipped off to Texas and Russia, never to find each other again (unlikely today, very probable in 1974.).
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2001, 06:02:06 PM »

The Japanese film that you are reffering to as NIPPON CHIUBOTSU (which is translated as THE SUBMERSION OF JAPAN) has a remarkable U.S. release history. The original Japanese version ran about three hours long and was from Toho International. It recieved a breif U.S. release in 1973 in subtitled form and some American writers praised the film very highly. But, producer Roger Corman and his New World Pictures picked up the three hour long "epic" and released the film in a heavily cut down version titled TIDAL WAVE and had American footage of Lorne Greene and other unknown actors spliced in. Both versions are considered to be good, but I am leaning towards the Japanese version.

This was origianlly available through some bootleg operations that had both the Japanese and American version. I was planning to get a hold of both versions four years ago, but at the time I thought I did not have enough money to purchase the films due to my "low paying" job and that I was spending the money on other videos. And rumor has it that both versions will have a new video release, but I highly doubt that.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2001, 07:59:45 AM »

http://videodaikaiju.cjb.net/

EXCELLENT! "Video Daikaiju" FINALLY got online--sort of. Their print catalog is viewable at the site above, the giant-monster movies come with box-art pics (B&W xeroxes). The listings start with TV shows, feature films come later, and YEAH BABY, the subtitled "Nihon Chinbotsu" is there (learn to read, dubbed sucks). Hell, they have EVERYTHING in fantasy-films from Japan. The rest of the "Gamera: Guardian" series! "Yog!" "Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell!" "Guilala (The X From Outer Space!)" "LATITUDE ZERO!" The freaking have freaking "Latitude Zero!" I came! You go!

It's been years since I've dealt with Vid-Dai, but they were certainly trustworthy then, I'm sure they're okay now. Take off every zig! All your base are belong to us!
FLANGEPART
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2001, 11:51:21 AM »

Bless you,Squishy! I knew some could help me. I'll check out Videoddiakiaju as soon as possable.Hoody-hoo!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japan Sinks! It does exist... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.