Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pointless musings about movie violence « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pointless musings about movie violence  (Read 8122 times)
Funk, E.
« on: November 19, 2002, 04:58:39 PM »

THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT THE "PSYCOLOGICAL EFFECTS" OF MOVIE VIOLENCE ON YOUNG MINDS

I don't care

What I am mildly pondering is why movies are so f**king ignorant and unrealistic about violence.  For example:

Why does EVERY car explode after a crash? None of them are Pintos, why are they always exploding? Okay, big boom cool, but everyone knows that wouldn't happen so why insist?

Why can the good guy snap shot 8 rounds out of a revolver and hit 8 different targets while the bad guys w/ comparable firepower couldn't shoot their own dicks off?

Speaking of 8 rounds per revolver why can't anyone in the movies keep track of number of shots fired? Having edited non-linear footage before it can be excruciatingly painful keeping continuity, but honestly they don't even seem to try. I give a movie credit these days if they just show someone reload!

Bulletproofing. Why is in the movies that when you have bulletproof glass or armor the bullets just spark, bounce off and leave a little smudge-mark. Real bullet resistant glass shatters and goes opaque and armored cars still dent!

The old hiding behind an overturned table for cover trick. Unless it's a steel top table at least a 1/4" thick the bullets would be happily flying through the table. Same goes for most door jams. Most walls are pressboard and 2X4 liberally spaced. They don't stop bullets, even if you hit the 2x4!

And lastly... damage: Why is it that when the good guy hits a bad guy so much as once they automatically die (or at least fall instantly unconscious) while the hero can get shot in the side, the shoulder, the arm and not only continue to function, but continue to use the injured appendage. My favorite example of this is Indiana Jones in "Raiders of the Lost Arc" he gets shot POINT BLANK RANGE in the shoulder THEN gets pounded on the same shoulder several times and still DRAGS HIMSELF HAND OVER HAND up his whip back onto the truck. Only Spittleburger could think that credible even in terms of fictitious film. Both extremes are highly unrealistic. One gun shot wound, at range, rarely kills. People have been brought into emergency rooms with multiple gunshot wounds and have survived and remain conscious until surgery. Conversely once you've been shot all but a grazing shot will disable an appendage and require your full attention from the pain alone if nothing else. Realizing of course we're not talking about bb guns or .22s. These are usually 9mm at least and with assault rifles your dealing with high velocity 7.62mm. These do not give massages, they HURT!

Oh well... not a big deal in the land of fantasy, but still with some films it underminds their attempt at credibility.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 05:04:16 PM »

Some explanations

Laws Of Anime

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Funk, E.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 05:18:41 PM »

Dear fearless:

"Its all very clear to me now, Dave... Dave... what are doing?"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 05:55:11 PM »

I met a guy once who had served in the Russian Army through much of the 1980s.  We had a pretty long conversation about his experiences and one thing he said is that sometimes they would see American-made action movies and get very demoralized by them because they thought that America had developed handguns that could blow up a Mack truck.  They (meaning the less sophisticated enlisted guys) actually thought the unrealism was real.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 06:10:08 PM »

Some other fantastic sights-

Whenever a car is shot at it explodes. If this were the case a fender-bender would be disastrous.

One off-duty cop can easily kill several highly-trained mercenaries at once.

And, as always, the grenades- The shoot out huge balls of flame and have a fuse of about nine seconds, as long as it's thrown at the hero.

And it's always easy to hit a target while running sideways with a gun in each hand.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Funk, E.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 06:15:20 PM »

Yes! Hero accuracy is always inversely related to stability! Standing on top of a pogo stick in a mine field is the perfect environment to shoot of the enemie contact lenses at a thousand yards.

Like shoot out in moving cars... what's the point. The only thing your going to hit is bystanders ask anyone in east LA or the Watts district!
Tommy
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2002, 06:33:06 PM »

Here's something that always happens: the hero kills everyone, but can't finish off one lousy boss bad guy.  It's usually up to the hero's friend or girlfriend to put on the finishing touches.

The idea that one can be knocked unconscious by a gun butt and then resume the chase is pretty lame.  Chances are if you're hit hard enough to be knocked out, you've got a serious concussion and you won't be getting up very soon.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2002, 06:41:17 PM »

I like it when their hair stays perfectly gorgeous.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Funk, E.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 07:05:48 PM »

Yeah, and heroines wake up from a nightmare with perfectly applied makeup and not a drop of sweat in sight.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 08:45:25 PM »

Dano wrote:
>
> I met a guy once who had served in the Russian Army through
> much of the 1980s.  We had a pretty long conversation about
> his experiences and one thing he said is that sometimes they
> would see American-made action movies and get very
> demoralized by them because they thought that America had
> developed handguns that could blow up a Mack truck.  They
> (meaning the less sophisticated enlisted guys) actually
> thought the unrealism was real.
>

I see, so the unrealistic movie violence is propaganda in America's bid to take over the world.  Ingenious.

Reminds me of the joke about exporting extra-large condoms all marked "medium".

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2002, 09:01:01 PM »

On a serious side, it is rather discomforting to think that foreign nation's think that we are a nation filled with itchy trigger fingered psycho cops and/or criminals with sexually immoral woman hanging off their legs.

Scary to think that people think that life in America is really like Pulp Fiction or Scary Movie!!!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2002, 09:13:11 PM »

<>

The way I understand it, much of the rest of the world thinks all Americans are stereotyped Texans. Southern drawal, bolo tie, cowboy boots and a six-shooter at our hips.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2002, 01:41:43 AM »

I see, so the unrealistic movie violence is propaganda in America's bid to take over the world. Ingenious.
*****  Hey, this was just one Russian's take on it.  Not all effective propaganda needs to be intentional.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2002, 03:39:12 AM »

"Not all intended propaganda is effective
Not all effective propaganda is intended"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Jim H
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2002, 05:58:34 AM »

I rather like when people get shot wearing a bullet proof vest, and fly back like 500 feet.  Even in (somewhat) realistic movies this happens.  Lethal Weapon is an example of this, as I thought Lethal Weapon was FAIRLY realistic as far as mainstream action movies go.  If a gun was actually that powerful, Newton's laws tell us it would also kick the person using the gun way back.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pointless musings about movie violence « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.