Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:32 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Declaration « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Declaration  (Read 4193 times)
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 22, 2002, 01:30:47 AM »

The 80's were, and always will be, the top echelon of filmmaking. Who's with  me?

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Foywonder
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 04:43:29 AM »

Well, compared to the 90s, any decade of filmmaking would look great.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 10:40:46 AM »

Actually, I think the 90s are way better than the 80s, but considering what type of website we are in...

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 02:35:18 PM »

I think if you look across the decades at EVERYTHING that was made in an era, you will probably find almost a constant ratio of crap to decent movies to great movies.  The thing is that only the better movies (and occasionally the absolute worst) survive to be seen by later generations.  I think this is why everything seems better in the good old days in general.  So regarding the 80s, just because Empire Strikes Back and Raiders still get played on TV and talked about by fans and critics, that doesn't mean that Desperately Seeking Susan never happened.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 02:47:24 PM »

Dano wrote:
>
> regarding the 80s, just because Empire Strikes
> Back and Raiders still get played on TV and talked about by
> fans and critics, that doesn't mean that Desperately Seeking
> Susan never happened.
>

Or that Tai-Pan never happened...
or Deadly Friend
or King Kong Lives
or Condorman
or Jaws 3-D
or Jaws the Revenge
or Pretty in Pink
or Dracula's Widow
or Blood Beach
or Death Ship
or Superman III and IV
or Wisdom

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 02:54:32 PM »

Or that Tai-Pan never happened...
or Deadly Friend
or King Kong Lives
or Condorman
or Jaws 3-D
or Jaws the Revenge
or Pretty in Pink
or Dracula's Widow
or Blood Beach
or Death Ship
or Superman III and IV
or Wisdom

*****  Well, not to jump on Madonna again (heh heh heh) but Shanghai Surprise and Dick Tracey could also make the list.

Dano
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 02:56:51 PM »

Dano wrote:
>
>
>
> *****  Well, not to jump on Madonna again (heh heh heh) but
> Shanghai Surprise and Dick Tracey could also make the list.
>
>

Arghh! My eyes!  Man, I tried to watch Shanghai Surprise once, couldn't make it past the credits.

How about Bullets Over Broadway???

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 03:16:14 PM »

Chadzilla wrote:  "Bullets Over Broadway"

*****  Ugh.  Bad, Chadzilla - Bad indeed (if I'm thinking of the right movie - was Cusak as a 1920s producer who gets mixed up with the mafia?)... but I am pretty sure it was post-1980s.  Wasn't it?

Regarding Shanghai surprise, one review I read once said: "I knew ahead of time that I was going to see Madonna and her husband Sean Penn in period piece/romantic comedy.  I wasn't surprised.  I wasn't surprised at all."  And speaking of horrid 80s movies set in the 1930s- how about Pennies From Heaven?

I think if I sat down and actually went through every movie I had ever seen, Shanghai Surprise would really have to be in the top worst five.  You know, we shouldn't write out the young 21st century either (what do you call this decade?  The 00's?).  I mean I haven't seen it, but the masochist in me just makes me want to slip "Glitter" off the shelf the next time I'm at the video store.  I better hurry while it's in new releases, 'cause after that, you won't be able to find it.

Dano
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2002, 03:24:24 PM »

I don't know.  I have pretty clear memories of being aware of it around 88 and 89, but it runs close.

Star Trek 5 was 1989, that I know (Summer of Batman)
and let us not forget Supergirl and Santa Claus, The Movie
Rocky IV
Poltergeist III
House II: The Second Story
Leviathan and Deep Star Six

come to think of it, 1980s aren't looking that hot after all...

Chadzilla
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2002, 04:34:33 PM »

1980s aren't looking that hot after all...

Depends...if you are looking for truly great movies like Casablanca or Citizen Kane or Star Wars or whatever...good quality stuff then perhaps.

If you are talking about fodder for the likes of us and out twisted taste for bad movies, then the 80's were great

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 05:46:47 PM »

<>

That's what I'm talking about. Also there were many great (not bad-great, genuinely good) cult films and just plain cheese. I don't think the 90's will be remembered as fondly.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 06:14:17 PM »

J.R. wrote:
>
> I don't think the 90's will be remembered as fondly.
>
>

WAIT A MINUTE!!! The 90s gave us.......well.......uh.......

nevermind

Chadzilla
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 07:15:01 PM »

You want other bad 80 films
How about Vibes and Earth Girls are Easy
Theose are 2 that come to mind that I actually spent money in the theater to see them....thank God it was the $1.00 shows

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Goon
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 08:49:47 PM »

The 80's gave us latex technology for cool monster props and gore.  The 90's gave us realy awful computer graphics.  I like the 80's better, but thats just my special FX preference.
----ooo-'U'-ooo----Kilroy was here.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2002, 09:34:17 PM »

The 90's don't look to be great for genre fans, but I wouldn't write off the decade completely.

I think what characterizes the 90's the most is the stratification of the movie industry.  In the 80's you could see a lot of lower budget movies still getting major releases.  Now almost every movie you are likely to see in the theaters has a budget of around $20 million, not even counting the studio support needed to distribute it.

Typical low-budget genre movies usually go straight to video now, or get a very limited theatrical release.  Which decade do we have to thank?  That's right, the 90's.  (To be fair, it really isn't the decades fault.  The people working and living in it are more to blame.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Declaration « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.