Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:30:56 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why is BRAVEHEART airing on the Sci-Fi Channel? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is BRAVEHEART airing on the Sci-Fi Channel?  (Read 1964 times)
Foywonder
« on: November 24, 2002, 02:00:27 PM »

I'm looking in the TV Guide and there I see BRAVEHEART listed coming on the Sci-Fi Channel tonight. Why? It's not a genre film. They're running it back-to-back with THE 13TH WARRIOR. That one I can understand since it has elements of genre film, but running BRAVEHEART makes no sense. It's a historical epic. It's not like its EXCALIBUR. People may argue the historical accuracy of the film, but it still doesn't fit the mold of the Sci-Fi Channel. Next thing you know, they'll be running LAURENCE OF ARABIA. Still, anything that prevents them from airing KOMODO for the umpteenth time...
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 04:29:55 PM »

It's happened before. I remember looking at my TV Guide at one time to see what's on and it claimed that the original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS was going to be on channel 66 (now a Mexican channel) and I was all prepped up on seeing it. Well, it wasn't on so from that point in time I don't trust the TV Guide that much anymore.

Now if BRAVEHEART is going to be shown on the Sci-Fi Channel tonight then something is definately wrong. It's not science fiction. As for a "historical epic", sadly I call it "The Historical Epic That Has No History At All" (sorry, I just had to plug that).
Foywonder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 03:32:48 AM »

Not a mistake. It came on tonight. Why remains a question. Well, other than the fact that the USA Network owns the broadcast rights and also own the Sci-Fi Channel.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 05:19:14 AM »

Watching it right now. Sci-Fi has a long history of showing movies that don't fit the science fiction criterea. But I guess the Sci-Fi CHANNEL's criterea is, "Can we edit this thing down to being unwatchable?". If they do show science fiction, it's direct-to-video-prison-escape-in-space flicks and original crapola like Lexx.

Might I suggest something to sci-fi? Make an attempt at showing hardcore science fiction. Make an original anthology series based on stories from Phillip K. Dick or William Gibson and make honest efforts to bring true, thought-provoking sci-fi to a mainstream audience.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 06:04:30 AM »

I'm surprised they didn't try to claim it was a SciFi Channel original.
ABPOS
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 03:23:44 PM »

yeah, i was flipping thru the channels waiting for the shows to change and i came to the credits. i reconized the theme song, but saw the saturn icon and thought it was impossible it was braveheart. but then i saw mel gibsons credits. that was confuzing

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 03:40:18 PM »

I suspect that the people who do programming for Sci-Fi don't actually know, like, or understand Sci-Fi.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scottie
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 11:50:19 PM »

I have absolutely no idea why the hell Braveheart got shown on Sci-Fi. When I saw it listed, I asked the same question. And then when I saw it playing on the cannel, I went to Mst3k.com and played some "Caption This!" with Braveheart! I sure showed them who's boss.

-Scottie*
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 01:54:45 PM »

Sci-Fi is going bum up.
....They have lost my respect. And they started with such promise......

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why is BRAVEHEART airing on the Sci-Fi Channel? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.