Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:19:00 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why?! Help me please, project for school!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why?! Help me please, project for school!!  (Read 2691 times)
Jeff
« on: November 25, 2002, 06:46:40 PM »

I love bad movies. And I don't know why. Could someone please inform me of their ideas on why people are so insanely fascinated with movies that are not considered excellent? I could give my own reasons, but im not sure how global my opinions are. any thougts?
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 06:47:25 PM »

"Dropped as a child" comes foremost to mind....

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Funk, E.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 06:55:00 PM »

Good or Bad drugs depending on your point of view.

Honestly there are as best I can tell 3 main reasons why to like B-movies:

1) MST3K ability. Their fun to make fun of. Their failure makes them unintentionally entertaining.

2) T&A. breast have been called the cheapest special effect. Movies w/ dillusions of grandure tend to have significantly less titalation factor than a movie made on the cheap

3) Nostalgia. We remember them with fondness from our childhood and still have a fondness for them and their kin.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 07:41:11 PM »

They (usually) have an overall "fun" feel to them. B-movies can both be cliché while being groundbreaking, and idiotic while being genious. How many Academy Award winners can say that their films are so stupid their classic? Not too many.

B-movies are also fun for the whole family. You can always sit back and laugh at the goofiness of the movie. I can't watch The Crying Game with my parents, but I can sure as hell watch Tremors with 'em.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 08:27:24 PM »

That's why I love 'em...they're just so much fun...chessy lines and bad special effects...they just put me in a good mood.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 01:59:58 PM »

It takes a very odd sense of humor to enjoy this crap....i have one.
....In Bad Movie land, being easily amused can be a virtue. Trust me.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 02:24:07 PM »

why are they so much fun to goof on??? i think because, unlike "blockbusters", they don't have to be focus-grouped into looking like other big budget stuff to better earn their large budgets back. they can take the chance to be different...whether because of limited budgets or otherwise.

personally, i got a bigger kick out of seeing a muffin pan used as spacesuit armor in "dark star" than i did from anything in Spider-man.

-mr. henry

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 02:35:50 PM »

personally, i got a bigger kick out of seeing a muffin pan used as spacesuit armor in "dark star" than i did from anything in Spider-man.

LOL, just saw that last night.  Great stuff

I also liked the sorta self-referential silliness of using a beach ball as an alien.  So when the alien is shot, they let it deflate and fly around the room.  Like the movie is saying "Ok, you know it's a beach ball, we know it's a beach ball...let's treat it like a beach ball" Which of course leads to the guy wondering how something like that could actually live.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 04:50:51 PM »

First and foremost, because B-movies are entertainment. They don't often try to be more than entertaining fun. When they do, the sheer ridiculousness of a cheesy movie trying to be important is very funny.

Likewise, it's funny when a movie is terrible, but you know the filmmaker thought it was the greatest thing he ever did, like Ed Wood and Plan 9.

That brings us to the amusing ingenuity involved in making a movie with no budget. Like the muffin pans and the beach ball in Dark Star, or the use of old footage of a dead Bela Lugosi in Plan 9, it's fun to see the lengths to which a filmmaker had to go to get the job done.

Then there are the movies that go against convention and possess the sort of dark humourous charm one would not find in many Hollywood blockbusters. That would include stuff from the likes of Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, George Romero and even Roger Corman. As was stated earlier, the singular vision of such movies beats today's committee-made films by a mile.

Speaking of Corman, you have to respect a guy who made dozens of cheesy films over decades, and always managed to make money. The B-movies take us back to a time when movie theatres were not the exclusive domain of the big studios.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 07:49:19 PM »

Good points all.
....Conciter this. There are a limeted number of "Star" directors in Hollywood. Thats a limet on the visions that can be experianced. However, add in the "Outsiders", and you get some new blood, so to speak. Roger Corman was an outsider who, kinds, became an insider. Look at his volume of work. Lots of good cheese!
....Sturgons law says, "90% of everything is crap". So... the more crap...you know, Fertile minds....the better the odds of something comming up  roses...even if the seeds were Petunias when they were "Planted".
....I think that makes sense.......

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Neville

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 06:44:43 AM »

Like all phillias or phobias, it is difficult to racionalise this things. Anyway, here go several theories...

1) There's an unquestionable sense of fun related to any movie you don't have to take seriously at any moment. The "B" label allows viewers to switch off their brain while the movie rolls. This can be very attractive. 100% of normal movies demand you to take the whole thing seriously, no mather if it is really worth or not.

2) Fidelity: We all would love to see our favourite actors / directors to earn an Oscar, but most chances are that their careers will slowly fade away. Die-hard fans will still watch their movies when they reach the B-Movie arena. Examples: John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, etc. This also works the oppossite way: When a figure becomes famous, all the B stuff they did in the beginning of their careers becomes uncovered.

3) Blockbusters are boring. Between A movies, it is a good way to let your brain rest to watch B movies. They can't afford to make explode the settings every 10 minutes, so they have to look for other solutions, and they are not as obsessed as A movies to look PC or apply to all ages.

Hope it helps.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Deadance
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2002, 08:36:13 PM »

I'm glad you ask well my  view on this is because bad, wired or stupid movies are happen to be different and usually big timers production company or whatever is to scared to take chances. If there do it might be a hit or a flop but who knows either way it might even be a cult classics if they are lucky or get to do a sequeals sorry about my spelling. But anyway is my view and  in case I like any movie as long it is entertaing to me.
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 10:49:35 AM »

Another reason people like b-movies is the whole exclusive niche thing. If everybody started watching b-movies then I'm sure they'd lose a lot of their appeal.

Connected to that is the fact that because they are unknown and 'underground' you often have to search to find films you want, and read/research (like here) to find out about films you should get.

One of my favourite things about b-movies (apart from all the stuff mentioned like the self-aware humour, the so-bad-its-fun and the way they usually have no delusions of grandure) is the fun of introducing new people to b-movies, the memories of a roomful of the uninitiated laughing their arses off the first time they saw Dolemite and Killer Klowns.

Pete
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why?! Help me please, project for school!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.