Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:01:26 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Any Comic Book fans here??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Any Comic Book fans here???  (Read 6726 times)
Scott Davis
« on: May 14, 2001, 05:30:43 PM »

I'm starting to notice alot of comic book fans are also fans of horror/bad movies.

So is anyone else here a comic book reader? If so, what do you read??

Myself, I read Planetary, Savage Dragon and The Defenders.

All three of these titles would make excellent b-movie material.
StatCat
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2001, 05:56:09 PM »

A little bit but not super hero comics. Just resident evil or any other zombie related comic.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2001, 07:14:38 PM »

I hate comics.  They're too damn expensive.  Even more than food.

That said, I'm currently reading:

Planetary (When new issues actually come out.)
Transmetropolitan
Usagi Yojimbo
Stray Bullets
100 Bullets
Super Manga Blast
Pulp
Hellblazer
Anything by Jhonen Vasquez
Anything by Garth Ennis
Anything by Grant Morrison
Anything by Evan Dorkin
And assorted other expensive crap.

Garth Ennis has apparently written a screenplay for PREACHER, although I've heard nothing more than that for several months.

Jhonen Vasquez (JOHNNY THE HOMICIDAL MANIAC) has a kids show on Nickelodeon called INVADER ZIM.  Haven't had a chance to see it yet.

I'd like to see a Usagi Yojimbo animated series.
Scott Davis
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2001, 07:56:12 PM »

Damn straight they're too expensive!!!

For 3 comics, its 15 bucks!! Sweet jesus.

Every month my Dad, Brother and I go and get comics and it usually cost us 60 bucks for 12 comics. Thats f**king sick!

I'm getting sicked and tired of american comic book fans b***hing about the price of comics. "Oh three dollars is too expensive for a comic book! WAH WAH WAH!!"

Damn cheap ass muther f**kers!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry for the swearing but some times you americans p**s me off with your constant whining and b***hing.  None of you p**s me off though. Except for Fritz cause he stinks! : )
Andrew
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2001, 08:13:26 PM »

Wow Scott, for a minute I thought you were channeling Trevor.

"People complaining about expensive comic books... ...give them a boot to the head."

"Boot to the head! Naah-naah!"

Damn, now I have that song stuck in my head.

Andrew
FaerieOfDeath
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2001, 10:33:41 PM »

I'm into Gloom Cookie (though the only place I can find it is Hot Topic), and Sandman, which I have been spending my food money on lately.  It's worth it, though.
Squishy
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2001, 04:41:56 AM »

I read mostly manga--translated and untranslated and yes, hentai too--and the US stuff I read is largely "manga-style," like Adam Warren's "Dirty Pair" and Fred Perry's "Gold Digger." I also get "Liberty Meadows," but that's a newspaper-strip reprint collection. For the sake of nostalgia, I also read superhero-pap like "JLA" and "JSA." (Most superhero books I like--such as the recent 'dark' version of "The Creeper"--get cancelled almost immediately.)
Nathan
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2001, 10:21:20 AM »

Andrew, you're a Frantics fan?  Gosh, I never felt this close to a Marine before.

Nathan
(Mechanics who can't fix a car,
Politicians who can't think...)
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2001, 12:06:04 PM »

"The saleman who won't leave me alone, the waiter who forgot my drink..."     Hey, Dr Demento gets request from Former Marines on his show , just like everyone else.     Okey, heres my Comics pull at the Laughing Ogre.     Nodwick...Knights of the Dinner Table....G-Fan.....K.D.O.T. Illistrated....Travellers....Liberty medows....Hackmasters of Everknight....Astounding Space Adventures.....Astro city( The only Super hero comic i like).   I've also dug the recent avation masterpieces  War In Heaven (Enemy ace) and Ministery of Space (Nice alternate history tale)     and sometimes i'm in the mood for what ever suprises me with a blindside of brilliance.
Creeps
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2001, 01:03:59 PM »

I used to be into quite a few comics, but as time wore on, I significantly narrowed down my preferances:

Evil Ernie  (and assorted other Chaos! comics, but that's my favorite).
Preacher
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Ghosts (the seventies DC comic)
And the assorted Spider Man comics...

I've been meaning to branch off to more comics, but I just never get a chance to these days.
Stefan Robak
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2001, 02:52:15 PM »

One of the Frantics (who plays Bill on Red Green) actually hosted a sci-fi/comics show in the early 90's called Prisoners of Gravity.

I love comics too.  Anything buy Garth Ennis turns out great (I'm surprised he's writing a Spider-Man story!  It's called the Thousand and it's pretty good).
Top Ten is another great series (selling point: one issue features a big drunken Godzilla with a beer gut who vomits on a city street.  REALLY!) that brilliantly mixes NYPD Blue with superheroes (It's about a series where everyone is a superhero)
The original Dragonball is great and has more pervert jokes per square inch than DBZ.
Hellboy is well written, well drawn and would make a great B-Movie (it's about the son of Satan who renounces his father and becomes a paranormal investigator with allies like the fish man Abe Sapien)
Futurama comics is really good and captures the show much better than Simpsons comics (In my Opinion)
Toyfare is a toy megazine but every issue has Twisted Toyfare Theater which basically spoofs the Marvel universe by making a comics with action figures.  Not for the easily offended
BTW Mofo: Grant Morrison will be doing X-Men soon
Scott Davis
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2001, 02:57:38 PM »

Grant Morrison is now doing the X-Men. I think his first issue is out this week.

I think The Twisted Mego Theater should be put out as a monthly comic from Wizard.

I love the one of Capt America kicking the Red Skull in the nuts and saying "This one is for Bucky! and The Thing passed out on the couch with a bag of chips and a can of beer in his hand.

funny @!#$!
Mofo Rising
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2001, 09:54:51 PM »

Yup, Morrison's X-MEN comes out tomorrow.

I'm also a big fan of Sergio Aragones.  I'd love to see a GROO animated series.  But what would his voice sound like?

Maybe if ATLANTIS and FINAL FANTASY are successful we'll see more animation aimed at teen audiences.  If this proves to be the case, which it probably won't, we should see quite a few non-superhero comics brought to animation.
Scott Davis
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2001, 10:19:25 PM »

I'd like to see a Cerebus cartoon.

It has a definity begining, middle and end. Plus some of the characters are out-right hilarious.

Maybe a Grendel cartoon, but that would have to be on HBO or Showtime.
The Waffle Man
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2001, 11:00:56 PM »

I read any comics I can get my hands on. It's an expensive habit, as I only buy the trade paperbacks. Anyway, my dad left me his old comics collection (four bankers boxes full of comics from the golden age of marvel, when Kirby was king) and I found a comic that would make a great, by which I mean nearly unwatchable, movie: Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. Oh man is it bad. But in a fun way. One of the best things is that its a war comic, but they couldn't kill anybody, since marvel is a familly company. Another great candidate for moviedom is Luke Cage: Power Man. That would rock.

"Nobody laughs at Mr. Fish"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Any Comic Book fans here??? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.