Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:34:58 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LOTR: Special Extended Edition « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LOTR: Special Extended Edition  (Read 1214 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: November 27, 2002, 02:41:09 AM »

Just got done watching the extended version of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.

I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It is very long, but it's an enjoyable three and a half hours.  For one thing, it makes the movie a lot more leisurely.  While in the original version things moved at a breakneck pace, here we are allowed to stop and slow down every once in a while.  More breathing room, so to speak.

The extra scenes are not so much sections of the plot that were cut out for time's sake.  They're more of additions to scenes already in the movie.  So while there is nothing big like the inclusion of Tom Bombadil, we do get to see an extended take on the shire and Galadriel's kingdom.

I liked it, and I'm eagerly anticipating THE TWO TOWERS.

By the way, did anybody notice Elizabeth Moody's small role in the extended version as one of the Sackville-Bagginses?  Nice touch if you remember her casting as Vera "Mum" Cosgrove in DEAD ALIVE/BRAINDEAD.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 03:29:06 AM »

I got this Sunday and the sheer depth and scope of this set is staggering. This production is even more ambitious than I thought. Every aspect you could possibly want to know about is covered. Frankly, I know more about this movie than I really feel comfortable knowing. And there are two more movies...with two more extended editions plus features...wow.

I love the new cut. Almost every new bit is something from the book that I wish were left in, and here it is! Now if only Pete could get around to comprehensive DVDs of his earlier films. There was a Frighteners LD with commentary and 12 deleted scenes and a deleted character, but it hasn't come to DVD yet.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 09:33:55 AM »

>I liked it, and I'm eagerly anticipating THE TWO TOWERS.

In the meantime, I'm sure you'll have the special Ultimate Gold Extended version, the Collector's Classic Extended version, the Ultra-Mega Super-Gold Extended version with 5 minutes of new footage shot special for it, the Deluxe Extended movie and video game package...

Sorry if I sound bitter, but is there any particular reason that they release the theatrical version (slightly changed for DVD of course), wait 3-4 months and then release an extended version with new features? I mean other than the fact that they're trying to milk as much money as possible from it and they hope that the people who were dumb enough to buy the first release will fork over another $20-30 to get the extras?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 12:19:32 PM »

I'm sure much of the decision came from the desire to milk more money out of the project.  I don't know exactly why they waited several months, but it probably had something to do with the rental market.

Anyway, people who don't pay attention to what they buy probably deserve to have their money taken from them.  The original version of the movie is cheaper, and it is the original cut, which isn't on the new version.  So it's not completely worthless.  Or look at movies that were previously only released in collector's editions, such as FIGHT CLUB, that are now available in cheaper scaled-down versions.

Also, the new version comes with a free ticket to see THE TWO TOWERS, so that might offset the cost a little bit.  But if you really want to get rid of your money, get the "Platinum Series Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set", which only comes with bookends and a National Geographic DVD, but costs $40 extra.

I'm not saying some "collector's editions" aren't a crock of s**t.  (Look at the difference between THE MUMMY Collector's Edition and the Ultimate Edition.)  But I think the new LOTR DVD is interesting and different enough to make it worthwhile.

That and I wanted to give the studio as much of my money as possible.

On a different note, do you think Peter Jackson would be more generous with his editing cuts if he knows he can just release it on an extended version later?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 01:10:09 PM »

J.R. wrote:
>
> Now if only Pete could get around to comprehensive DVDs of his
> earlier films. There was a Frighteners LD with commentary and
> 12 deleted scenes and a deleted character, but it hasn't come
> to DVD yet.

Recently, THE FRIGHTENERS was re-released on DVD with new cover art. However, it is the same release as their earlier one as it just has a theatrical trailer and cast/crew filmographies! I think Universal is just sitting on this particular title and lets hope that a company like Anchor Bay buys the DVD rights for a mother-load Special Edition.
ABPOS
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 01:28:59 PM »

did you guys watch the fanclub thank you list? wew, there were a sh*t load of smith's  =P"

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LOTR: Special Extended Edition « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.