Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:40 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Coincidence I Noticed « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Coincidence I Noticed  (Read 1938 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 26, 2002, 02:48:01 PM »

I have to admit that the Harry Potter series of books are fantastic!
I've just started "The Goblet of Fire".

I noticed a coincidence though while snooping around the I.M.D.B.

(I'll bet at least some of you knew about it already)

No big deal really.

Go to this link and look at the first two character names of the father & son.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0092115
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 02:57:19 PM »

Is J.K. Rowling an Empire fan?

Doubt it.  There was a minor stink a while back where the creator of series of books about LARRY Potter sued Rowling for plagarism (she had a decent case, the term Muggle was used in the book, albeit in a different fashion).  The name of Harry Potter continues an English literary tradition of using bland, every day sounding names for their heroes (i.e. James Bond and/or George Smiley).  I think it was just and odd coincedence.

Unless Rowling fesses up to being a big Troll fan, which I doubt she would.  Still, the marketing of Troll as THE FIRST HARRY POTTER ADVENTURE is pretty darn tempting! :)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
ahab
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 07:18:38 AM »

Maybe she's a secret b movie lover?!?

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 08:23:17 AM »

The entire Harry Potter concept is a rip-off. Check out the 80's film The Worst Witch.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 10:30:45 AM »

Sure it's a rip-off. Rowling borrows bits from quite a few myths and legends. It's still a lot of fun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 12:52:06 PM »

I thought the opening concept, about a young boy living with other relatives and being mistreated and misunderstood seemed heavily borrowed from the premise of "James and the Giant Peach"

The rest seemed to have sorta a "Xanth" reality, without the puns

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scottie
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 11:56:50 PM »

I'll have you all know, that right now, the review currently on that movie's homepage is one of my own. I knew right from the instant I saw the mentioning of Harry Potter in this post, and a link to the IMDb, that Troll would be the movie to speak of. And by the way, "I liked it, I really liked it!"

-Scott-
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 12:38:23 PM »

I like to think that J.K. Rowling is just a huge TROLL fan.  And perhaps a little of TROLL 2, just for fun.

TROLL is one of those movies that I had recorded as a kid, so I watched it over and over.  I've seen that movie more than almost everything.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Coincidence I Noticed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.