Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:53 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  when does toilet humor work? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when does toilet humor work?  (Read 2097 times)
Mr.E
« on: November 28, 2002, 02:04:39 AM »

I'm confused guys. When is toilet humor considered good (as in South Park or Blazing Saddles) And when is it just unfunny? (as in Scary Movie or 8 Crazy Nights) Just about all of it is the same to me.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 03:24:37 AM »

I think toilet humor works in small doses, as in South Park or Blazing Saddles, where more subversive or satirical humor is emphasized and the nasty stuff is spread out, but with Scary Movie or Eight Crazy Nights the focus is entirely on the toilet humor, so there's no substance to back it up.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 08:23:07 AM »

Exactly right. If the toilet humour is used sparingly, and mixed with some well-crafted gags, the results can be fantastic. South Park and Blazing Saddles both have a good deal of clever satire to go with their fart jokes. Scary Movie does not.

I suppose if the clever stuff goes over your head, the difference might not be all that apparent.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 08:48:23 AM »

One good example that comes to mind is "Dumb & Dumber".

The scene where the Turbo-Lax takes effect was a riot!

Now that's toilet humor!

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 11:57:27 AM »

I think it also helps when there's some sort of self-awareness behind the gross-out humor, as in the films of John Waters, Peter Jackson, and Troma.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 03:34:05 PM »

I was going to say Dumb and Dumber. Look at the ferraly brothers now, they saw that people loved dumb and dumber, and the grosser parts of the movie got the most laughs, so they just started making movies that are just made up of scenes like that over and over. I still think Dumb And Dumber is one of the funniest comedys ever. Everytime I watch it I hear a joke or see something I didn't see the time before, or didn't get when I was a bit younger that I get now.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
Mr.E
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 11:22:30 PM »

I still don't understand why if your sister rips a loud fart on you couch watching TV, its kinda funny. But when a scene like that is in a movie, most people just think it's a flat joke.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 02:41:08 PM »

>I still don't understand why if your sister rips a loud fart on you couch watching
>TV, its kinda funny. But when a scene like that is in a movie, most people just
>think it's a flat joke.

That's hard to say, upload a video of your sister ripping a loud one and we'll let you know. :)
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 07:35:35 PM »

I think that, basically, there needs to be a lot more intelligent humor in a movie, along with a bit of toilet humor for it to work.   If it's actual toilet stuff.....like in the case of Jackass, then most people think it's funny because it's happening in real life.....but a movie completely based on nothing but TH usually flos, much like movies based entirely on T&A

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Rick Popko
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 01:07:27 PM »

Speaking of toilet humor, any of you guys heard of or seen "monsturd?"
www.monsturd.com.
Scott Foy just did a review that made the Ain't it cool news Web site.
We're also reviewed in this month's Rue Morgue.
-Rick
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  when does toilet humor work? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.