Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:54 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films where « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Films where  (Read 7507 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 01, 2002, 09:21:17 AM »

Just a thought.

It always starts that way.........like a magic potion of thoughts intertwined in my head,  ready to drink.

Bottoms up.

What films, if any, can you think of where the BAD GUY actually wins in the end?

Arlington Rd. is the only one that has sprung up like a bad leak into my mind.

The slow-mo shot of Jeff Bridges opening the trunk of his car (with bomb planted) whilst in the parking garage of that U.S. government office was extremely INTENSE!

I didn't see that one coming!

Not by any means.

No Sir!

Totally blew (no pun intended) my mind.

Do anyone of you know of any other movies where the hero is actually vanquished and the bad guy prevails?

Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 09:49:36 AM »

Well, in both "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack Of The Clones" the bad guy(s) really won  Considering that most of the motives behind what was happening was to increase the political and military power of Sentator/Chancellor Palpetine. In the end, he got exactly what he wanted, both times..

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 09:51:48 AM »

I can see your point but......

I'm looking for BLATANT examples in films where the good guy gets his or her ROYAL ASS kicked or killed!

Ash

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 09:51:57 AM »

PROCEED TO NEXT POST!!!
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 09:54:07 AM »

Many sci-fi and horror movies have surprise endings where you realize that the bad guys really won, or at least that the good guys did not win.

It's become almost cliched, so much so that often when I'm watching a movie and it shows the hero(s) walking off in triumph, I expect the camera to pan or switch to something showing that the bag guy is a) still alive and/or b) got his objectives, anyway

=======================
ahab
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 10:19:49 AM »

The Usual Suspects is a clear cut case of the bad guy winning.

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Foywonder
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 10:27:27 AM »

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - Han Solo frozen in carbonite. Luke Skywalker gets his hand cut off and narrowly escapes with his life. The whole rebellion pretty much has to go into hiding.
chris
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 10:55:49 AM »

Michael Heneke's Funny Games. One of my favourites.
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 11:00:38 AM »

>Do anyone of you know of any other movies where the hero is actually
>vanquished and the bad guy prevails?

Fallen - The fallen angel takes over Denzel Washington's body.

>Many sci-fi and horror movies have surprise endings where you realize that the >bad guys really won, or at least that the good guys did not win.
>
>It's become almost cliched,

Actually, it's become cliched to death! I'm surprised when it DOESN'T happen. I also hate that with a passion! In my opinion, those stupid twist endings which often make absolutely no sense, taint the entire movie that came before.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 12:49:22 PM »

Not a movie, but Twin Peaks ended on a pretty down note; Agent Cooper got posessed by Bob, Pete and Audrey got blown up, Ben Horne got his head bashed in, etc. Apparently the show's makers didn't know the show was going to be cancelled, so it wasn't intended as an ending (one story goes that it was a last-ditch effort to get ABC to pick it up again), but as it stands, it's one of the bleakest series finales of all time.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Fearless Freep

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 02:10:32 PM »

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

I thought of mentioning that one, but I figured I'd played up the Star Wars angle enough. Thanks for finishing it.

In my opinion, those stupid twist endings which often make absolutely no sense, taint the entire movie that came before.

My favorite (or at least most remembered) example of that if from "Unknown Origin" where the 'surpise ending' is that both 'good guy' survivors have been infected with aliens.  Which means the last third or so of the movie of the fight between the 'good guys' and 'bad guys' was stupid because at that point *everyone* was infected and should've known it.

=======================
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 03:09:54 PM »

THE DEVIL"S ADVOCATE.
I hate these endings! It began as a response to the old Hayes office cliche of the good guy always wins, and became a new cliche insted. Even read an article in Famous Monsters of Filmland to that effect, and it had a list of "Bad guys wins" films.
Enough. Too many bad guys seem to win in real life, what, i wanna see it in my movies?The "Run over the last evil bat" in "Bats" was cool, cause it rolled over that new cliche.
Stars Wars 1&2 are "How to " films. How to creat an evil empire...but, there by,...we know that the bad guys DO lose in the end....just not in time to save Alderran. And a bunch of other planets.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 05:02:35 PM »

I actually like the cliché of the villain winning, but I usually want there to be SOME hope for the hero at the end.

A good example of what I'm talking about is Alien 3, actually. The alien won, because the species finally killed Ripley, BUT The Company, the second villain, lost because they don't have the organism.

FILMS WHERE THE BAD GUY WINS:
Phantasm 1-3, because #4 has a weird f**ked-up ending that REQUIRES #5.

Series 7: The Contenders. It shows that the TV station and the producers of the show are willing to do anything to make sure they have ratings, and not f**k everything up. I really like this movie...

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2002, 05:43:28 PM »

Freed Said:

"My favorite (or at least most remembered) example of that if from "Unknown Origin" where the 'surpise ending' is that both 'good guy' survivors have been infected with aliens. Which means the last third or so of the movie of the fight between the 'good guys' and 'bad guys' was stupid because at that point *everyone* was infected and should've known it."

Ah, "Unknown Origin."  That movies is such a talentless rip-off of "The Thing" that it even uses a few scenes shot from the same perspective and a couple of lines of dialog.  Review for this is due around the end of January.  I do not like this movie; it is only saved by Roddy and it is a very small save.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2002, 06:24:47 PM »

D'oh! Beat me to Phantasm. I would say most zombie movies, but the zombies really aren't bad guys, are they?
Evil Dead would count, but then Evil Dead 2 picks up where it left off and Ash wins. And it IS a sequel, dammit!

And I love Series 7, too.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Films where « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.