Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:47:18 AM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unrefined Godzilla « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unrefined Godzilla  (Read 2466 times)
Vermin Boy
« on: May 15, 2001, 09:01:16 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get the uncut, subtitled versions of the Godzilla movies (in a format playable on American VHS or DVD players), and which ones make for the most interesting comparisons to the American versions? Believe it or not, I managed to convince my teachers to let me do a project about the Americanization of Kaiju films, so any help would be most appreciated. King Kong vs. Godzilla is a given, as is King of the Monsters... Any others?
Scott Davis
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2001, 10:24:37 PM »

Not godzilla, but the Power Rangers.

All the fighting scenes in Power Rangers are ripped off from various japanese action shows. Check out Henshin Video for copies of them .

I don't know about getting godzilla movies subtitles. I've only every seen them dubbed. And too my knowledge most of them are uncut except Godzilla; King of the Monsters and Godzilla 1985, which were editted to add Raymond Burr in.
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2001, 04:16:38 AM »

Ready to cut n'paste:

VIDEO DAIKAIJU
PO BOX 185
SUCCASUNNA NJ 07876

Unfortunately, they have no site--they had an unofficial site with a catalog listing but it's since turned into Pop-Up Hell. They have pretty much everything, and the heavy hitters come subbed or dubbed. Ask for their catalog.

You can also investigate Showcase Collectibles, which DOES have a website (http://www.godzillatoy.com) BUT my sole order with them to date is currently six months, three days, seven hours, fifty-two minutes and six seconds overdue...

What to compare? Get the one between the two you've already chosen. "Gojira no Gyakushuu"--AKA "Godzilla Raids Again," "Godzilla's Counterattack," and "Gigantis, The Fire Monster"--also suffered severe cut n'paste itself. If you can latch onto a copy, "Varan The Unbelievable" is a massacre of "Daikaiju  Baran."

After that period, most kaiju flicks went for simple dubbing, rather than additional footage...however, you can still provoke giggles with the US poster for "Godzilla vs Megalon," (1976), which tried to tap into the "King Kong" remake hype by showing the title combatants squaring off atop the World Trade Center towers of New York, which of course never happens in the film.
Squishy
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2001, 04:20:24 AM »

Holy crap! Thanks for the link, SD!! With all the movies they have, they should've gone the rest of the way and carried kaiju...
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2001, 03:18:19 PM »

By all means, yes! Daikaiju Baran is infinatly better then the Basterdised U.S.  Version. Godzilla 84 Is very interesting,as the treatment of the Russians in the story line is very different then, agine, the U.S. version. In the original, there are scenes of the Japanese Gov. Officials discussing the ramifications of letting forign countrys try to nuke G if he shows up in Japanese waters....the international implications of such creatures existing has rarely been addresses, and has a lot to recoment it. Conciter it for your paper. The ability to appreciate these films comes clearer when you get to see, and Hear, the acting as it was realy done. Haveing seen all the Toho, and some other companys, Kaiju films as they were made, helps me to appreciate them more. Go, and do likewise.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unrefined Godzilla « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.