Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:54 AM
714233 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  underated overrated? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: underated overrated?  (Read 9890 times)
Evan3
« on: December 10, 2002, 06:40:25 PM »

First, I just received The Exorcist 3 and the Mothman Prophecies for Channukah and have seen neither. How are they??

Second the other day I watched this movie Fallen (with Denzel Washington) and nobody liked it. I thought it was fntastic. Very underrated. Also, from recent comments, you all apparently dont like Scream. I think Scream, Scream 2 and I know what you did last summer were all very well done, well written and well performed, and they probably saved horror movies from even further obscurity by Hollywood. Here are some other scary/sci fi. movies which I dont theink get the credit they deserve:
The Omen
Blair Witch Project
Duel (a Spielburg movie)
Mars Attacks
Deuce Bigelow Male Giggolo
Christopher Lee as Dracula
The Astronaut's Wife
The Devil's Advocate
An American Werewolf in Paris

Here are some terribly overrated movies
Texas Chainsaw Massacres: Not scary, just disturbing, why bother even making it?
American Psycho- Worst Movie Ever: hands down
Urban Legends
both of the new Star Wars films

What are your thoughts on this
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 06:56:52 PM »

The Exorcist 3 is very good. It has good atmosphere, a nifty plot and some decent scares. I'd put it in the underrated category myself.

I think the first Scream is fun, but the trend of "ironic" slashers passing as horror it created (including Urban Legend) is nauseating. Scream should have bombed, like it was supposed to, and we should have discovered a fun little movie on video/DVD.

I'd say you're a lucky, lucky man if American Psycho was the worst movie you've ever seen. I enjoyed it myself (though I read the book and I wish it stayed a little more faithful to the pop culture satire). Honestly, can you with good conscience say it's worse than any one slime-skull movies on this site?

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 07:05:31 PM »

I don't read mainstream press or business buzz about movies so I really don't know how 'rated' something is to consider it overrated or underrated.  The best I can usually grasp is 'well known' or 'not so well known', but it really doesn't impact me.  I know what I like, I watch what I want.  I rarely know what others think, much less do I care

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Evan3
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 07:07:09 PM »

Yes, I can say American Psycho was the worst movie EVER I have seen some bad ones, but that takes the cake. Someone should even review it for this site.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 08:34:33 PM »

I thought THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES was criminally underrated.  Well, maybe not criminally, but it certainly deserved more than it got.  I wrote my thoughts on the movie in a previous post.

I also like EXORCIST III quite a bit.  That Brad Dourif can certainly act when he needs to, not to mention George C. Scott.

When I was working in the video store, I was surprised about how many people are into FALLEN.  I didn't think it was that great, but many, many people think it's one of the best things they've ever seen.  Strange.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 08:51:26 PM »

I like Fallen as well, but can see why some/most people hated it.  Still, I respect a movie for not compromising its interior logic.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 09:55:18 PM »

Evan, did you understand American Psycho? I'm not trying to "diss" you or anything, but it's been my experience that most people that don't like it don't really "get" it.

Let's see...overrated...
The Exorcist
The Matrix
The Omen

Underrated...
$la$her$
The Dead Hate The Living!
Phantasm
series

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Perk
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 12:18:16 AM »

At first I didn' like Fallen but I liked The First Power more.  Funny thing is that all Fallen was to me was The First Power with Denzel instead of Lou Diamond Philips  and maybe that is what tainted my response.  I mean Fallen did have Time Is on My Side as the main song, but The First Power had a wicked nun.  However after watchin Fallen again I actually enjoyed it, just not as much as The First Power
Megafury
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 12:45:14 AM »

Star Wars Phatom Menace was over rated before it first came out hten it just became a big dissapointment. Attack of The Clones didn't really get over rated cause everybody was thinking of Spider-Man.

One movie that is underrated I think is,

Excalibur, I think I might do a serious review of that and submit it to this site
Funk, E.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 12:52:23 AM »

Exalibur isn't a b-movie and therefore doesn't belong on this sight, but I agree with you. It's my all time favorite.
Megafury
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 12:55:40 AM »

I guess it isn't a b-movie, oh well....

That movie had everything though, violence, nudity, and good story telling.
Funk, E.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 01:00:39 AM »

yeah... it's pretty much the bomb, but it is also just about the plutonic form of the antithesis of b-movieness.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2002, 02:03:57 AM »

Underrated

The Time Machine (2002)- I think most people dislike it just because it's a remake.

The Young Sherlock Holmes- A great 80's adventure in the Spielberg vein. It got a bad rap because it played around with the Holmes mythos.

Top Secret!- One of the funniest movies ever, yet not as well known as Airplane!.

Blacula

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Neville

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 12:23:12 PM »

I didn't like "Fallen" at all. The premise was interesting, but the execution was cold and boring. I couldn't really get involved in anything that happenned in the TV screen, and that is something I really hate, unless the storytelling can offer something to compensate.

About "American Psycho", I had read the book several times before watching the movie, so I knew more or less what to expect, so I wasn't dissappointed at all. Maybe the problem people have with it is that the second half of it changes the tone and the whole thing tries to be more serious than it should. Anybody seen the DVD sequel? Any good? It even has William Shatner!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 01:08:26 PM »

Glad to see that some one else out there LIKES The First Power.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  underated overrated? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.