Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:54:49 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  underated overrated? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: underated overrated?  (Read 9903 times)
Creepozoid
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 01:35:28 PM »

FALLEN is a total rip-off of THE HIDDEN. That's why I didn't like it.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 04:08:21 PM »

I thought Mothman was one of the worst movies i remember seeing...and not B-movie bad or cheesy bad so you love it, but actually just bad.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 04:49:17 PM »

FALLEN is a total rip-off of THE HIDDEN. That's why I didn't like it.

If I disliked movies just because they were total rip-offs of other movies...I'd dislike a *lot* of movies :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Funk, E.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2002, 04:50:50 PM »

Yeah, I'm w/ Fearless on that one. "There's nothing new under the sun"
JohnL

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2002, 09:43:53 PM »

I like most of the movies mentioned in this thread, especially The Mothman Prophesies and even the Scream movies.
Evan3
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2002, 10:13:03 PM »

Finally, someone who liked Scream and is willing to admit it.
Also, I thought if nothing else Fallen was suerbly acted, I havent seen the other ones you are talking about, such as the Hidden and The First Power. But think if you had seen Fallen first, would you have enjoyed it more?

About the TIme Machine, I disliked it for two reasons. Although the remake was far superior in some ways, you should never go to a movie expecting the re make to be better you will end up disappointed. I thought that the search to save his love as well as his foray into the future were very well done. However, the movie totally changes veins and becmes too quick, doesnt develop the characters really and there is too much razzle dazzle. Then, the ending too is ridiculous. it was like, whoah we are out of time, lets end this f**ker.

Lastly, maybe I didnt understand American Psycho entirely, but to my knowledge, it was a picture inside the wanderings and fantasies of a mad man. It committed the 3 sins bad acting, really no point, and way too many liberites, with reality. I f my memory serves me well, all of that violence was dreamt, so what was the point? Ugh. Well, was the book better, am I missing something?
Megafury
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2002, 11:55:32 PM »

I just noticed Duel with on that underrated list. Thats the one with the truck right? Thats a great movie. It had lots of suspense and I was pulling my hair when nobody believed the guy when he said there was a truck messing with him, I really got into that movie when I first saw it.
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2002, 11:56:25 PM »

<>

It wasn't a dream. He really did kill those people, but because of the shallowness and formality of 80's yuppie culture no one suspected him. They believed him to be someone else because to them everyone's just a haircut and a suit.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
JohnL

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2002, 06:18:44 AM »

>It wasn't a dream. He really did kill those people, but because of the
>shallowness and formality of 80's yuppie culture no one suspected him. They
>believed him to be someone else because to them everyone's just a haircut
>and a suit.

So what was going on with reality changing on him and bodies disappearing? At least that's what I remember from the one time I watched it.
Creepozoid
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2002, 12:54:50 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:
>
> FALLEN is a total rip-off of THE HIDDEN. That's why I
> didn't like it.

>
> If I disliked movies just because they were total rip-offs of
> other movies...I'd dislike a *lot* of movies :)

True. But what I hate is when a b-movie gem is ripped off and turned into a piece of mainstream garbage like FALLEN. Another example is PANIC ROOM.
Evan3
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2002, 03:59:25 PM »

Plus, didnt everybody end up alive in the end of American Psycho who he should have killed?.
Also, what makes going mainstream a bad thing. If Fallen was a rip off, at least it spread the idea to a much larger audience than would have seen it before. Plus I would not consider Fallen mainstream by any stretch.

Also, Duel was Spielburg's first movie about the truck. It is like nothing else that he has done yet. I highly reccomend it.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2002, 03:19:52 PM »

The true test of how I feel about a movie. Not like, not dislike, but underrated and overrated. The first two change over time, but, an underrated movie is always underrated (IMHO), and an overrated movie is always overrated (IMHO) Six from the horror genera.
Underrated Lair of the White Worm.
A big surprise, but, I think it is finally getting the recognition it deserves. As it is a much smarter film, then most people suppose.
Overrated: Blair Witch Project
Hey, moron. Do you think you can find a stream and follow that stream downhill. Of course, if they had the sense to do that, there wouldn't be a film.
Underrated: Bram Stoker's Dracula.                                                                                             For  the cinematography, costumes, and sets. For the menace of Gary Oldman. For one of the best action sequences I have ever seen in a horror film. For the best Renfield (Tom Waits),, I have ever seen in a Dracula film. And for including all the major characters from the book.
Overrated: The Craft
Even for most films that I think are overrated, I can understand why some people mgiht like them. But, would someone explain what is so great about this one?
Underrated: Blue Velvet. This may not strictly be a horror film, but, it is so similiar in so many ways to "Lair of the White Worm," I think of it as a horror films. Underrated, if only for the acting of Dennis Hopper, who gives one of his best performances.
Overrated: Sleepy Hollow
Though, this film pays homage to "Ichabod and Mr. Toad," this film is netierh as scary nor funny, nor are the action scenes done as well as in that one. And with Bing Crosby doing the voals in "Ichabod and Mr. Toad," nor is the music as well done.
And the acting is nothing to write home about neither. Watch Michael Gambon  in this one, then watch him in "The Insider," and see in which one he gives the better performance.
Enjoy!
trollificus
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2002, 08:55:03 PM »

Some thoughts from  a noob with no particular claim to cinematic critical authority:

American Psycho-you shouldn't have to 'get it'. And Ellis is part of what he claims to satirize.

Blair Witch Project- a scam. As an experiment in internet buzz-creation, a novelty. Interesting film-school project idea. Not as bad as most people (who felt betrayed after all the hype) thought.

Mars Attacks-bad. and not 'bad in a good way' bad. Bad in  a bunch of self-indulgent Hollywood  a***oles way.

Duel-Just occurred to me that this is the only case I can think of in which the movie (great) was EXACTLY as good as the short story (great). Very enjoyable. The only thing missing is, at the end of the short story, the exhausted driver stands on a cliff overlooking the smoking wreck of the devil truck and emits a bestial scream of victory. I expected that in the movie, thought it would have worked great.

Time Machine-I kinda liked the characterization and backstory that the original lacked, but good comments above on the 'what do we put in the last ten minutes?' ending and the 'put your arm through' plot holes that my 12-year old picked up on-and she NEVER criticizes ANY movies.

Did I mention I'm a ramblin' kind of guy? S

Sorry.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2002, 07:28:49 PM »

Thanks!! Finally someone who thinks Texas Chainsaw Massacre is overrated. Now...If only I can convince the rest of the world that Halloween is crap!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2002, 07:42:33 PM »

<>

You won't. Anyone who does not like Halloween is probably dead inside. It's one of the best horror movies ever. To each his own and all, but I will still consider ill anyone that does not think it's great. Sorry.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  underated overrated? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.